Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will the Reds put on the 40-man roster?

Re: Who will the Reds put on the 40-man roster?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, Camisadelgolf, Reds of 72, OBM, and RedsUp. For me, in hierarchical order: 1. Fisher, 2. Maloney, 3. Manuel, 4. Henry, 5. LeCure, 6. Cumberland. I hope we can protect all of them, especially the first 5. I think any of them could get taken and probably will be able to stick on the right 25 man roster.
    Agree. I'd add that Andy Phillips and Tyler Pelland should be let go or sent down to make room. Matt Belisle and Gary Majewski wll probably be non-tendered as well. That makes 4 more spots. Craig Tatum could also be on the bubble and Norris Hopper may not be a sure thing either.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agree. I'd add that Andy Phillips and Tyler Pelland should be let go or sent down to make room. Matt Belisle and Gary Majewski wll probably be non-tendered as well. That makes 4 more spots. Craig Tatum could also be on the bubble and Norris Hopper may not be a sure thing either.
    I think Tatum is closer to a sure thing that you think. The Reds' catching depth is weak anyway, but without Tatum, until they sign someone, the Reds have no one to catch at AAA without embarrassing themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think Tatum is closer to a sure thing that you think. The Reds' catching depth is weak anyway, but without Tatum, until they sign someone, the Reds have no one to catch at AAA without embarrassing themselves.
    NO way anybody drafts Tatum and no way he sticks if they do.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'd probably have to agree with that notion. I remember hearing how he didn't look ready for AAA at all when he got there. And that wasn't really all that long ago.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm no Tatum fan, but there are many really bad catchers in the bigs (Reds had three last year), and Tatum's cheaper than many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I'm no Tatum fan, but there are many really bad catchers in the bigs (Reds had three last year), and Tatum's cheaper than many of them.
    Tatum is a good defender and I suppose I could see a scenario where some team with an established vet as the starter would let Tatum sit on the bench in a Chad Moeller role. With Hanigan looking like one catcher for the Reds, no way that Tatum will be the other. Since I think its doubtful that the Reds could get anything at all in trade it simply comes down to whether or not the Reds need to roster spot since Tatum is likely to be no use to the major league team. I'd rather have an open spot to gamble in rule 5 on a Tatum equivalent that plays SS or a young pitcher with stuff.

Tatum is a good defender and I suppose I could see a scenario where some team with an established vet as the starter would let Tatum sit on the bench in a Chad Moeller role. With Hanigan looking like one catcher for the Reds, no way that Tatum will be the other. Since I think its doubtful that the Reds could get anything at all in trade it simply comes down to whether or not the Reds need to roster spot since Tatum is likely to be no use to the major league team. I'd rather have an open spot to gamble in rule 5 on a Tatum equivalent that plays SS or a young pitcher with stuff.
    Tatum is already on the 40 man. To take him off requires that he pass through waivers. That allows a team to claim him for only $10K if that team has a 40 man spot. He wouldn't have to play in majors. So he's more attractive than a Rule 5 claim.

Reds don't have a lot of talent that's worth protecting this year, IMO. That'll change next season. I suspect that Tatum's spot on 40 man is probably safe, for now.

Reds don't have a lot of talent that's worth protecting this year, IMO. That'll change next season. I suspect that Tatum's spot on 40 man is probably safe, for now.
    I hope they protect him. A good defensive catcher has worth, and Tatum's bat may yet improve a bit. One of Krivsky's underappreciated moves was placing Hanigan on the 40-man -- I can't remember a single post supporting that transaction.

Bobby Livingston was removed from the 40 man roster, so that opens up another slot for one of our prospects.

Today is the deadline. Should see some roster moves.

From Cots:

Rule 5 Draft
    The Rule 5 draft is held each December at the Winter Meetings, and it consists of a Major League portion and a minor league portion. By November 20, each club must set its 40-man roster and submit reserve lists for all major and minor-league levels (See Minor League Rosters). Between November 20 and the Rule 5 draft, a club may add Major League free agents to its 40-man roster but may not add any player from its minor league reserve lists.
    Last day for Gary Majewski, Andy Phillips, Matt Belisle and Norris Hopper?

Today is the deadline. Should see some roster moves.

From Cots:

We can hope, cross your fingers!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I figure that the Reds would have named roster earlier in the week, but that there's been an outside chance of a trade

We can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    We can only hope.
    Yep. So we can replace them with the likes of Juan Castro.

Last day for Ty Pelland? Nope, that was yesterday, when he was oughrighted to l-ville.

Turn Off Ads?