Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who will the Reds put on the 40-man roster?

Re: Who will the Reds put on the 40-man roster?

Skelton is very interesting. He's got awesome plate discipline (83 BB/73 K in 297 atbats in '08) but not much power (.401 SLG). His name should be skeleton because that's what he is. He's listed at 5-foot-11 and 165 pounds but scouts think he's smaller than that. I did some research on him a little while ago and found this:

Recently joining Ramirez at Double-A Erie has been catcher James Skelton, who baffles scouts because there's just been no precedent for a player like him. Skelton hit .307/.468/.406 at High-A Lakeland and drew 64 walks in 282 PA there, but few players elicit more wide-ranging opinions. He has very little power, and at 5-foot-11 and 165 pounds, he's bone-thin and just doesn't look right when he gears up and crouches behind the plate. A scout who has been following Skelton for years remains unsure what to make of him, and finds it nearly impossible (as do many who have seen him), to get past the slender body. "He has me scratching my head twenty times and flipping coins," joked the scout. "He has a feel for hitting, there's no question about it, and he has catch-and-throw, receiving, and on-base skills. When you see him, there has to be durability questions—I don't even think he's as big as listed." Asked what could be done, the scout remained baffled, and admitted that he had some hopes of a position change in Skelton's future. "Hell, if he was a second baseman, I'd love him," he joked.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7938

I also like the idea of picking up a Whelan. He's the type of arm that can possibly stick ala Burton.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Skelton is very interesting. He's got awesome plate discipline (83 BB/73 K in 297 atbats in '08) but not much power (.401 SLG). His name should be skeleton because that's what he is. He's listed at 5-foot-11 and 165 pounds but scouts think he's smaller than that. I did some research on him a little while ago and found this:

Recently joining Ramirez at Double-A Erie has been catcher James Skelton, who baffles scouts because there's just been no precedent for a player like him. Skelton hit .307/.468/.406 at High-A Lakeland and drew 64 walks in 282 PA there, but few players elicit more wide-ranging opinions. He has very little power, and at 5-foot-11 and 165 pounds, he's bone-thin and just doesn't look right when he gears up and crouches behind the plate. A scout who has been following Skelton for years remains unsure what to make of him, and finds it nearly impossible (as do many who have seen him), to get past the slender body. "He has me scratching my head twenty times and flipping coins," joked the scout. "He has a feel for hitting, there's no question about it, and he has catch-and-throw, receiving, and on-base skills. When you see him, there has to be durability questions—I don't even think he's as big as listed." Asked what could be done, the scout remained baffled, and admitted that he had some hopes of a position change in Skelton's future. "Hell, if he was a second baseman, I'd love him," he joked.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7938

I also like the idea of picking up a Whelan. He's the type of arm that can possibly stick ala Burton.
    I've heard the knock on Skelton's size before. If he has the skills to catch and hit a little, I wouldn't care. I'd pick him and let him share the job and not worry whether he could hold up day in and day out. These days the catcher spot is usually filled by a tandem who share the job. As a LH hitter with actual catching skills, he's rare. I'd leave him there and figure on him being a 60 to 70 or so start a year guy and see if he fills out a little. With Hanigan to play against lefties and maybe some righties and Castillo to fill in against RH on the days when Skelton needs a rest, it could work. I'd buy him a Big Mac, Fries and a Chocolate Shake every day and not worry about him being too small.

With the lack of catching talent, he probably won't last until the Reds pick anyway.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I've heard the knock on Skelton's size before. If he has the skills to catch and hit a little, I wouldn't care. I'd pick him and let him share the job and not worry whether he could hold up day in and day out. These days the catcher spot is usually filled by a tandem who share the job. As a LH hitter with actual catching skills, he's rare. I'd leave him there and figure on him being a 60 to 70 or so start a year guy and see if he fills out a little. With Hanigan to play against lefties and maybe some righties and Castillo to fill in against RH on the days when Skelton needs a rest, it could work. I'd buy him a Big Mac, Fries and a Chocolate Shake every day and not worry about him being too small.

With the lack of catching talent, he probably won't last until the Reds pick anyway.
    I agree he sounds like a very good possibility. But Does Wilkin Castillo's presence make them pass if he is ava.? It probably shouldn't but it might. I would certainly give him a shot, he sounds like a guy who would be perfect for this type of situation what with his approach at the plate. If he does look like he could play a 2B in the future and not so much catcher cross that bridge then. BTW He sounds an awful lot like a skinny but perhaps better defensive Hatteberg doesn't he.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

IDK so much about Lofgren being able to stick, he had a rough go of it in AA. But here's part of his issues this past season.

Lofgren shows ace form in Aeros win
    Posted May 1st, 2008 by Stephanie Storm

Left-hander Chuck Lofgren put his best outing of the season on display Thursday morning in the Aeros 6-2 victory over visiting Erie.

Despite entering the game winless at 0-2 and carrying a hefty 8.66 ERA, the 22-year old left-hander limited the aggressive SeaWolves to a run on six hits, issuing walks to three batters while striking out nine over six strong innings.

“That’s nine strikeouts against a pretty good lineup,” said Indians farm director Ross Atkins, who was on hand Thursday to see for himself Lofgren’s fifth start this season. “Chuck’s had some issues with his release point, but today he was consistent and had a better pitch distribution than he did in his previous outing.”

Lofgren’s nine strikeouts, one shy his career high, marked the most hitters he’s fanned since striking out 10 Lynchburg Hillcats on Aug. 3, 2006 while pitching for high Class-A Kinston.

“Chuck’s been working hard since spring training on maintaining a consistent release point,” Aeros pitching coach Tony Arnold said. “His last two starts, he’s thrown the ball better, but would got hurt when he’d leave a ball up.

“This time, he was able to maintain his focus. He still had spurts where he got behind in the count to a couple guys, but he was able to make the pitch he needed to make - twice with their best hitter at the plate.”
    http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/aeros/20...-in-aeros-win/
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm reading Zach Ward is available. Also the Marlins left Jeff Allison ava. isn't he the Allison that was an addict? He didn't look anything too special but I thought I would add his name because it rung a bell.

Some other intriguing arms to some extent.

NYY - Alan Horne (25; RH) I like Horne quite a bit but he had a terrible '08. In '07 he was pretty darn good 150 IP, 149 Hits, 165 K's, 57 BB's, 10 HR's in AA though at 24. I recall we kicked his name around last offseason.

Oak - Brad Kilby (25; LH) Looks like a solid LH out of the pen with a decent K% but maybe a bit flyballish. '07 65 IP, 63 H, 22 BB, 69 K's, 6 HR AA. '08 70 IP, 59 H, 26 BB's, 66 K's, 9 HR AAA.

Tex - Pedro Strop (23; RH) He's injured so someone will take a flier on him as they could probably get bye with DLing him for awhile as he recovers from a stress fracture in his right elbow. He's got 3 flat out nasty swing and miss pitches a mid-90s fastball with late life, a plus slider, and a nasty splitter. He injured it early in '08 so he could be ready sometime in S/T.

Here's his story:
    http://newberg.mlblogs.com/archives/...dro_strop.html

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'm reading Zach Ward is available. Also the Marlins left Jeff Allison ava. isn't he the Allison that was an addict? He didn't look anything too special but I thought I would add his name because it rung a bell.

Some other intriguing arms to some extent.

NYY - Alan Horne (25; RH) I like Horne quite a bit but he had a terrible '08. In '07 he was pretty darn good 150 IP, 149 Hits, 165 K's, 57 BB's, 10 HR's in AA though at 24. I recall we kicked his name around last offseason.

Oak - Brad Kilby (25; LH) Looks like a solid LH out of the pen with a decent K% but maybe a bit flyballish. '07 65 IP, 63 H, 22 BB, 69 K's, 6 HR AA. '08 70 IP, 59 H, 26 BB's, 66 K's, 9 HR AAA.

Tex - Pedro Strop (23; RH) He's injured so someone will take a flier on him as they could probably get bye with DLing him for awhile as he recovers from a stress fracture in his right elbow. He's got 3 flat out nasty swing and miss pitches a mid-90s fastball with late life, a plus slider, and a nasty splitter. He injured it early in '08 so he could be ready sometime in S/T.

Here's his story:
    http://newberg.mlblogs.com/archives/...dro_strop.html
    Horne had rotator cuff surgery.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If the Reds can get Skelton, yeah they can go for it as far as I am concerned. (Biggio was only 5' 11" 180 #s and he caught so it is no big deal. Is the Yankees P. J. Pilittere availible under rule five?

Pedro Strop? Absolutely. Draft him if he's still available. Like MR said, they could stash him away on the DL for a while but he's capable of sticking on a 25-man roster when healthy. His stuff is filthy. He's got 117 strikeouts in 88 minor league innings.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...ro-Strop.shtml

Boy, I sure am glad they found room for Majewski on the 40 man. I was sweating that one.

my guess is they don't believe he can currently stick at the major league level. I still think though he would eventually be a good solid 2B/OF who would be solid in every way off the bench.
    my guess is that they don't believe that he'll ever be more than a so-so tweener, and the Reds always produce those in spades.

Reds have told you what they think about Henry and Cumberland, and it's that they don't foresee future impact. but perhaps Manuel's this year's Ramon Ramirez. works for me.
    Last edited by princeton; 11-21-2008 at 09:29 AM.

I don't sweat Majewski. With Affeldt gone, Weathers unlikely to return and Lincoln unsigned the Reds probably decided to keep him just as insurance. He's really unlikely to avoid being DFA'd if enough of the young arms push for spots. Plus it's possible some team will accept him as backend filler in a deal. Now if he's on the opening day staff then I might bust a gasket.

In what way?
    I meant that in the sense that a lot of people could criticize the GM for not protecting him. Sean Henry has very good numbers, just like Carlos Guevara did, but he is often said to not project as anything special. Guevara put up closer-type numbers in AA, wasn't particularly old for his league, and was left unprotected, and Sean Henry's story is somewhat similar; he consistently OPSes around .800, young for his level, and was also unprotected.

When it comes to protecting guys the FO has to make decisions and not look back. Look at all the rule 5 picks in total and see how many ever pan out and it's a darn high percentage of times the FO is right. The Santana rarity really slays you though if you're the losing team but all in all I wish the Reds FO were as correct in all their decisions as they are at this.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    When it comes to protecting guys the FO has to make decisions and not look back. Look at all the rule 5 picks in total and see how many ever pan out and it's a darn high percentage of times the FO is right.
    interestingly, many of the best Rule 5 picks ever have been made in recent years. that might be a steroid era effect, increase in number of teams in baseball, more aggressiveness on part of front offices, or some other mechanism.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Majewski arbitration eligible? I don't see the Reds offering him arbitration. He should be gone in a few weeks IMO.

Turn Off Ads?