Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Who will the Reds put on the 40-man roster?

Re: Who will the Reds put on the 40-man roster?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Majewski arbitration eligible? I don't see the Reds offering him arbitration. He should be gone in a few weeks IMO.
    He is. He is arbitration-eligible this off-season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cincinnati Reds

Added 3B Juan Francisco, LHP Matt Maloney and RHPs Carlos Fisher, Sam LeCure and Robert Manuel.

Francisco hit .277/.303/.496 with 23 home runs, 34 doubles and 92 RBIs at high Class A Sarasota, and didn’t turn 21 in the Florida State League until June 24. Maloney, acquired for Kyle Lohse in 2007, could battle for the Reds fifth starter’s job during spring training. Manuel doesn’t have overwhelming stuff, but his plus command paid off in 2008, as he earned a spot on the 40-man roster by going 6-3, 1.25 in 87 innings between high Class A and Triple-A. With only 32 men on their 40-man before the additions, the Reds didn’t have to make many tough choices. Lefthander Philippe Valiquette, the club’s seventh-round pick in 2004, is probably the most notable omission, but it was understandable seeing as he has yet to pitch above Class A, and he had a very rough (8.53 ERA, 10 BB in 13 IP) Hawaii Winter Baseball season.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1806
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Cincinnati Reds

Added 3B Juan Francisco, LHP Matt Maloney and RHPs Carlos Fisher, Sam LeCure and Robert Manuel.

Francisco hit .277/.303/.496 with 23 home runs, 34 doubles and 92 RBIs at high Class A Sarasota, and didn’t turn 21 in the Florida State League until June 24. Maloney, acquired for Kyle Lohse in 2007, could battle for the Reds fifth starter’s job during spring training. Manuel doesn’t have overwhelming stuff, but his plus command paid off in 2008, as he earned a spot on the 40-man roster by going 6-3, 1.25 in 87 innings between high Class A and Triple-A. With only 32 men on their 40-man before the additions, the Reds didn’t have to make many tough choices. Lefthander Philippe Valiquette, the club’s seventh-round pick in 2004, is probably the most notable omission, but it was understandable seeing as he has yet to pitch above Class A, and he had a very rough (8.53 ERA, 10 BB in 13 IP) Hawaii Winter Baseball season.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1806
    Francisco's inclusion shows one potential problem with guys being drafted and signed very young. They have to be included on the roster at a pretty young age. Similarly, Valiquette's non-inclusion -- also at a young age -- is a result of that type of drafting/signing.

I'm pulling for Sam Lecure. He's from my wife's hometown and an alum of her high school. My brother in law plays golf with his older brother.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

It looks like Pedro Viola didn't have to be protected. That's great because he's the one I really didn't want to lose. I'm hoping we can keep Sean Henry too. I think he could help the Reds bench within a year or two.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I'm pulling for Sam Lecure.
    Me too. Big year for him coming up, as he could find himself in direct competition with Bailey, Owings, Ramirez, etc., for the 5th starter's spot.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Horne had rotator cuff surgery.
    I thought he had been injured just couldn't remember what, thanks for the info.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    my guess is that they don't believe that he'll ever be more than a so-so tweener, and the Reds always produce those in spades.

Reds have told you what they think about Henry and Cumberland, and it's that they don't foresee future impact. but perhaps Manuel's this year's Ramon Ramirez. works for me.
    Well that's fine but Henry IMO has a chance to be more than that. Certainly they have more info to go on so they may very well be right, but I have seen enough to doubt any MLB F.O.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Separated at birth?

Robert Manuel on the left, Aaron Harang on the right.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Ran into Maloney last night while he was celebrating his addition to the 40 man roster.

I was hammered, and I boldly annointed him the fifth starter, and tried to explain BABIP to him.

Holy cow. I must have been so annoying.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Regarding the failure to protect Henry, there is another way to look at it. Henry has played some CF, but has spent the majority of his ML time as a LF'er. That puts him in contention with Dorn and Heisey. IMO both would rate above him. Even more significant, however, is the potential need to move either Votto or Fraser to LF. Moreover, Bruce is established in RF. That makes Henry somewhat expendable. On the other hand, the Reds are short at C, SS, and LHP. Thus, WJ may look at this as giving up a surplus for a chance to draft a scarcity. I'd be very surprised if he did not try to fill one of these positional needs in Rule 5.

My guess is that Henry gets picked up. It is easier to carry a 5th OF that is not fully ML ready than other positions. His good AFL showing makes me believe he could contribute.

It doesn't bother me if someone didn't get protected, because if there's something the Reds have been good at lately, it's guessing who other teams might want and who they won't. The only two players they've lost in the Major League portion of Rule 5 in the past five years are Tony Blanco, who after his stint with the Nats in 2005 hasn't been above AA, and Carlos Guevara, whose trick pitch earned him all of 12 innings for the Padres this year. If the Reds don't protect someone, they probably have a pretty good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    interestingly, many of the best Rule 5 picks ever have been made in recent years. that might be a steroid era effect, increase in number of teams in baseball, more aggressiveness on part of front offices, or some other mechanism.
    Yeah, you're right. I bolded the main reason I see. I think maybe it's the price of players. Before utility guys/middle relievers started making 5 million a year teams weren't all that interested in Rule V because you had to keep the guy. It was more effective to let him end up a minor league free agent and sign them then, but as the premium placed on prospects has increased (because of the first years of control and cost effectiveness)teams are looking for ways to add an overlooked talent. Certainly the floodgates seem to have opened since Santana - maybe teams looked at him and decided to give some of these guys a chance when they foirmerly just thought: eh, how good can he be?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Ran into Maloney last night while he was celebrating his addition to the 40 man roster.

I was hammered, and I boldly annointed him the fifth starter, and tried to explain BABIP to him.

That's so funny. Had me chuckling visualizing the scene. I guess how annoying he found you depends on how hammered he was.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post

Good Stuff!

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?