Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Who will the Reds put on the 40-man roster?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who will the Reds put on the 40-man roster?

From a Reds source - Pedro Viola is NOT eligible to be drafted in the Rule 5 draft this year, thus left off the 40 man.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe there are two rounds to the Major League portion of the draft.
    Isn't there also a minor league portion? How does that all work? Does it still require a 40 man slot? Not asking you Cam but just using your post as a segway to my question.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Isn't there also a minor league portion? How does that all work? Does it still require a 40 man slot? Not asking you Cam but just using your post as a segway to my question.
    Yeah, the rule five draft has two minor league phases. A player who isn't protected on his team's 40-man roster, 38-man AAA reserve roster, or 37-man AA roster can be selected at the price of $4,000 to $12,000 per selection. If a player is selected, he does not need to reach the Major Leagues at any point. And if he's drafted from a A+ squad or lower, he must be placed on the AA roster or higher. Last year, the Reds lost Jose Rojas in the minor league draft:

http://minors.baseball-reference.com....cgi?pid=27269

But the Reds drafted Juan Apodaca and traded him to the Red Sox for cash considerations.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com...rs.cgi?pid=552

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yeah, the rule five draft has two minor league phases. A player who isn't protected on his team's 40-man roster, 38-man AAA reserve roster, or 37-man AA roster can be selected at the price of $4,000 to $12,000 per selection. If a player is selected, he does not need to reach the Major Leagues at any point. And if he's drafted from a A+ squad or lower, he must be placed on the AA roster or higher. Last year, the Reds lost Jose Rojas in the minor league draft:

http://minors.baseball-reference.com....cgi?pid=27269

But the Reds drafted Juan Apodaca and traded him to the Red Sox for cash considerations.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com...rs.cgi?pid=552
    Thanks for the info. Is there a way for us to tell who is on the bolded rosters above?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is there a way for us to tell who is on the bolded rosters above?
    Unfortunately, I don't believe they make them public.

James Skelton | Detroit
    Position: Catcher
    Born: October 1985
    2008 Level: High-A/Double-A

One of the more quizzical omissions from the 40-man rosters, James Skelton creates flashes of Jesus Flores, whom the Washington Nationals stole from the New York Mets with the sixth overall pick of the 2006 Rule 5 Draft. Flores is now producing just as well for the Nationals as the Mets' big league catchers, and at a much lower cost. The Tigers organization is seriously lacking in prospects and the 40-man roster had room for Skelton. He was originally selected by the Tigers in the 14th round of the 2004 draft out of a California high school. Skelton has hit more than .300 in each of the past three seasons - a rarity for catchers. This past season, he hit .307/.467/.406 in 212 High-A at-bats and moved up to Double-A and posted a line of .294/.423/.388 in 85 at-bats. There are concerns about Skelton's defence. His is just 5'11'' and 165 lbs - small for a catcher. His arm also lacks strength, but he threw out 43% of base stealers in 2007, and 19 of 54 (35%) at High-A in 2008, followed by nine of 19 (47%) at Double-A. It will be shocking if no one takes a flyer on the left-handed hitting catcher with an excellent eye at the plate and the ability to hit for a high average. The list of clubs that could use catching depth include Toronto, San Diego, Cincinnati, Houston, Chicago (NL), Washington, Florida, Balitmore, Chicago AL, Tampa Bay and Boston.

http://baseballanalysts.com/

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    James Skelton | Detroit
    Position: Catcher
    Born: October 1985
    2008 Level: High-A/Double-A

One of the more quizzical omissions from the 40-man rosters, James Skelton creates flashes of Jesus Flores, whom the Washington Nationals stole from the New York Mets with the sixth overall pick of the 2006 Rule 5 Draft. Flores is now producing just as well for the Nationals as the Mets' big league catchers, and at a much lower cost. The Tigers organization is seriously lacking in prospects and the 40-man roster had room for Skelton. He was originally selected by the Tigers in the 14th round of the 2004 draft out of a California high school. Skelton has hit more than .300 in each of the past three seasons - a rarity for catchers. This past season, he hit .307/.467/.406 in 212 High-A at-bats and moved up to Double-A and posted a line of .294/.423/.388 in 85 at-bats. There are concerns about Skelton's defence. His is just 5'11'' and 165 lbs - small for a catcher. His arm also lacks strength, but he threw out 43% of base stealers in 2007, and 19 of 54 (35%) at High-A in 2008, followed by nine of 19 (47%) at Double-A. It will be shocking if no one takes a flyer on the left-handed hitting catcher with an excellent eye at the plate and the ability to hit for a high average. The list of clubs that could use catching depth include Toronto, San Diego, Cincinnati, Houston, Chicago (NL), Washington, Florida, Balitmore, Chicago AL, Tampa Bay and Boston.

http://baseballanalysts.com/
    I like the analysis of that pick and boy would I like the Reds to take a chance on him. I wonder why they left him unprotected with Pudge being at the end (?) of his contract. Can you send this info over to Walt?!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?