Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ESPN's Reds Winter Forecast

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

ESPN's Reds Winter Forecast

Reds Forecast

I love it when Chicago writers try to evaluate other teams, especially our Reds. It contradicts itself right off the bat when it says the Reds struggled partly because of "a thin starting rotation" but then later, the article proclaims that "Pitching is the team's strength." Which is it?

"Ryan Freel's versatility and on-base skills attract some interest." ORLY!

"a lineup that is set only at first base (Votto), at second base (Brandon Phillips) and in right field (Jay Bruce)." Until it is acknowledged publicly, Edwin is set at third base.

"There's not a lot coming right behind Volquez, Cueto and Votto." Would it be that hard to look at Baseball America?

Overall, I feel dumber after reading this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN's Reds Winter Forecast

Yeah that was pretty bad. I think we are actually set in 6 positions. C, 1B, 2B, 3B, RF, and CF. SS and LF are really my only major areas of concern. In the field.

I also like our top 4 in the starting rotation and that options that we have to fill out the backend. The bullpen is a little scarier but I think some young guys should be able to be servicable if we don't end up signing any FAs.

Would I like to upgrade, certainly, but if we go into next year with what we have right now + a few minor pickups, we should be a middle of the pack team again. I think 2010 will be the year we really challange for a playoff birth.

The article was pretty worthless, as most of them are, but I do agree with him that only 1b, 2b and RF are set. I actually do not think that EE will be the Reds 3b next year. He will either be moved to a new position or to a new team. Jocketty made it clear that defense will be a priority and that must mean that EE is not playing 3b.

^^It could also mean that Keppinger will not be playing short, but I think that you are right when you insinuate that EE will be moved

Alot of teams would be happy to have a Jeff Keppinger sitting on the bench. People forget he broke his knee during the season and actually came back from it.

Jocketty said EE was untouchable.

i think it's best to take those writers with a grain of salt. maybe they'll throw something we didn't already know or had thought of but it's mostly filler although i agree it would be nice if they'd ty to make a little more sense from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Yeah that was pretty bad. I think we are actually set in 6 positions. C, 1B, 2B, 3B, RF, and CF. SS and LF are really my only major areas of concern. In the field.

I also like our top 4 in the starting rotation and that options that we have to fill out the backend. The bullpen is a little scarier but I think some young guys should be able to be servicable if we don't end up signing any FAs.

Would I like to upgrade, certainly, but if we go into next year with what we have right now + a few minor pickups, we should be a middle of the pack team again. I think 2010 will be the year we really challange for a playoff birth.
    i agree 99.9%. if we resign 2 of the 3 FA relievers the bullpen should be fine and we also still need another catcher to split time with hanigan.

unless jocketty makes a deal for a 3rd baseman, which is always possible, EE will be at 3rd for one more year. he still has alot of potential but if he doesn't improve defensively in '09 he'll have to be in LF or with another team in 2010. at this point it's much more realistic to expect a contender in 2010 so that's what we should be building towards.

when kepp is 100% healthy he's a solid utility player. not alot of power/speed but a nice contact hitter who can be a decent backup to a few positions. if he's healthy in '09 i'd expect #'s closer to what he did in '06/'07.

I think that was an article completely without depth. I agree that we are set with Votto, Bruce, and Phillips and relatively set with Hanigan. We have a great starting four and quality prospects in a #5 starter. With defections in the bullpen we need to fill in some spots. Questions remain with EE, short, CF with CDick given an honest shot, and a trade for a right handed bat in left. I'm not sure I agree with the minors are pretty empty. I see a lot of promise in the group, whether they are ready for '09 I'm not sure. I see promise in this team for next year and am more optimistic that in recent years.

if the writer meant that the reds won't have three rookies make an impact for a second consecutive year he's probably correct. ya never know tho. thompson, ramirez, roenicke, janish not to mention dickerson, bailey etc... add in players like frazier, stubbs, etc who could see time late in the year.

he probably just took a quick look at a list of the top rated prospects for '09. last year bruce, bailey, votto, and cueto were all ranked in the top 50 mlb prospects or so. and they were ready. none of our top 3 prospects now will likely be ready in march. that doesn't mean the farm system doesn't still have a share of prospects. maybe we'll have another bunch like that in 2010 with alonso, frazier and stubbs. only time will tell.

Re-sign Hairston, Weathers, Affeldt, and Lincoln.

Sign a FA quality big bat-type LFer or trade for one.

Possibly bolster the starting rotation at the right price, allowing Owings to come out of the bullpen or be there to fill in when one of the starter's goes down. We also have Ramirez and Bailey (if not traded).

I am fine with 1B Votto, 2B Phillips, SS Gonzalez or Kepp or Hairston, 3B EE, RF Bruce, CF Dickerson, C Hanigan. Another offensive bat and another year older and wiser for the rest of them and this team is poised. Keep the starting rotation and bullpen strong, and this team can contend, IMHO.

Turn Off Ads?