Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apples to Apples...

Apples to Apples...

Has anyone ever played it? My son received it as a present for his birthday, and we have been playing it almost every weekend. It is great fun, especially when enjoying a few beers.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/74

It is usually good for lots of laughs and fun, but we are in need of another game to play now and then. We have tried Uno but it lacks the humor of Apples to Apples. Does anyone have any suggestions on another good game?

BTW, is anyone familiar with the game Clever Endeavor? It has been suggested to me, but I am not familiar with it.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Apples to Apples...

Try:

25 Words Or Less
    Taboo
    Malarkey

And a slightly different game that's lots of fun:

Incan Gold
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Apples to Apples is great. I concur with the Taboo suggestion...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Has anyone ever played it? My son received it as a present for his birthday, and we have been playing it almost every weekend. It is great fun, especially when enjoying a few beers.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/74

It is usually good for lots of laughs and fun
    Looks like a neat game as a Christmas idea. Thanks.

but we are in need of another game to play now and then. We have tried Uno but it lacks the humor of Apples to Apples.
    Have you ever played Uno Attack Extreme? We love that game. Especially when you have to hit the button and you end up getting a face full of cards shot out at you. Use good batteries.

We also love to play Balderdash.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Man Pills

Apples is a blast, but yeah, liquor adds to the joy.

Apples to Apples is a good time, but I think I slightly prefer its similar but superior cousin, Balderdash.

As far as liquor-fueled board games go, though, nothing beats Loaded Questions.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 11-09-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

RISK

RISK is a great game if you want the family to get into fist fights.

How old are your kids? My ten year old nieces love Stratego, Mastermind & Clue.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I second RISK and Balderdash--great games!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look for some of them next time I'm at Target. We recently added to Apples to Apples Party Box by buying the Expansion Pack #1. I think there might be a few other expansion packs out there, but we want to try something different.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Apples to Apples has been a hit with everyone I know who has played it. However, it's all about the people you play it with as the fun comes from the banter and lobbying and complaining after they don't pick your card. So if you play with humorless (or polite) people you might get different results.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer View Post
    Apples to Apples has been a hit with everyone I know who has played it. However, it's all about the people you play it with as the fun comes from the banter and lobbying and complaining after they don't pick your card. So if you play with humorless (or polite) people you might get different results.
    http://www.vimeo.com/2195782

(I seriously spent like an hour trying to embed that. Unsuccessfully.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I second RISK and Balderdash--great games!
    RISK is a great game, tons of strategy; I love it. Some of my buddies and I would always get together and play. Some of our game boards were different so we actually had different rules depending on whose house we were playing at. I always tried to take Africa and South America. They connect and together are only 4 fronts to defend (or 3 depending on the board). Optimal strategy is getting South America and Australia because you get 4 bonus soldiers with only 2 fronts to defend, but I really don't like to split up my armies. That seems to be the way real wars are lost, so I apply it to the game, which may or may not be smart. I haven't determined yet
    Baseball is not necessarily an obsessive-compulsive disorder, like washing your hands 100 times a day, but it's beginning to seem that way. We're reaching the point where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. ~Thomas Boswell

Having a life is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    RISK is a great game, tons of strategy...
    We drink a few beers while we play Apples to Apples (my kids are in their early twenties). Serious strategy is not likely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Have you ever played Uno Attack Extreme? We love that game. Especially when you have to hit the button and you end up getting a face full of cards shot out at you. Use good batteries.
    We played Uno Attack this weekend and loved it!

Our daughter recently graduated from grad school and took a well paying job three hours away. We went up to visit her new home this weekend, and with her still getting settled, we headed to the store for some supplies. While my wife and daughter went looking for pots and pans, my son and I went looking for the entertainment. I remembered your suggestion, GAC, and grabbed an Uno Attack off the shelf. It ended up being the best buy of the weekend.

It provides lots of strategies beyond the basic Uno game, and the little machine shooting the cards adds tons of anticipation and fun. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    As far as liquor-fueled board games go, though, nothing beats Loaded Questions.
    In my first experience with this game (the Political Edition, or whatever), the question was asked "What quality about the political party other than your own do you admire?"

Just a few of the answers given:

Vampiric Immortality
    Sarah Palin's v*****
    George Bush's hairstylist
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

Turn Off Ads?