Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Russell Branyan Blossoming Into A Geuine Hitter?

He seems to really like it in Cincy and has nothing but good things to say about the hitting coach. It's nice to see guys come here and really enjoy it!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Between Branyan and Larson, the Reds have a choice to make. I don't think Boone will be SS in 2003, as Larkin and his contract will be the starter. (With good reason, as Larkin is still the bellweather cow to the offensive pasture in Cincinnati.)

With Pena and Mateo out of options after 2002, the real battle will be between Larson and Branyan as backup corner infielder and OF. That, IMO, is what they are battling for this season.

If Bowden is able to deal Walker, Casey, or Boone, both guys would be surer bets to stay with the Reds. However, a trade involving Casey is unlikely, a deal involving Boone is almost impossible, and Walker is less likely to be wanted than many other free agent second sackers. (In fact, it could be argued that, because of the new collective bargaining agreement that may take place, Walker's salary could be higher than a better player like Kent or Alfonzo, though that is almost as unlikely as a Boone deal.)

As it is, I would argue that BBoone and Bowden are in favor of keeping Branyan. He's LH, he's got more pop (as evidenced by his major and minor league numbers), and he has shown the ability to play numerous positions well enough to be a back-up.

Allen and Lindner would probably side with Larson, as he is cheaper and comes from the Cincinnati farm system. Actually, Larson should be quite a bit cheaper, as Branyan is at least close enough to arbitration to make front office personnel nervous.

Is Branyan a great hitter? No. But he does produce when given a chance. And that's more than any Reds bench guy since Jeffery Hammonds and Alex Ochoa. In fact, he reminds me a bit of Hammonds in that he is a "failed" uber-prospect that stuck out too much with his former team. If he could play CF... Well, no one's perfect.

My choice is to go with Branyan, as he has a track record and is more likey to improve as he comes into his prime. Too, I like his LH stick and his speed is a bit better than Larson's. He also seems to come through in the clutch an inordinant number of times. Or at least he has since his trade to Cincinnati.

Small Sample Size

Even with his great 100 abs in Cincy, he still only has a .750 OPS for the season.

Yes, he's on a hot streak, but let's not get carried away over 100 at bats.

PSR

Stay tuned.

With such good looking hitters like Larson, Mateo, Branyan and even Pena, look for Bowden to wheel and deal like the good ole days when Schott was the owner come this offseason.

With a payroll boast anywhere between 10-15 million, Bowden could move the entire roster if he wanted with the exception of maybe three players. Now young hitters might command a decent return if a small market team was interested.

Should make an interesting offseason.

Another HR for RB...

What better time to bump this ol' thread back to the top.

Is Russ Branyan blossoming into a genuine hitter?

Answer: Yes

And I will be one of the first to take credit for saying this the day of the trade ( I wish I knew how to retreive old threads ).

I have said repeatedly that the Broussard-Branyan and Brower-Chen deals would go down as two of JimBo's best and I stand by that statement.

The question now becomes what to do with the sudden surplus of positional talent?
    Go BLUE!!!

For his career, Branyan has hit for a .790 OPS in 900 plate appearances. As a Red, he has hit for a .900+ OPS in over 120 plate appearances. That improvement in his 120 PA can NOT be shrugged off as random noise in the data (or as a small sample size for that matter). The difference between his career numbers and his 120 PAs as a Red is likely STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT (caveat: I don't have the software with me to run the numbers ).

Moreover, Branyan's hitting has improved across the board--hitting for a higher average, fewer Ks, more walks, higher slugging percentage, etc. That is further evidence that we are witnessing REAL improvement in his performance.

Add in the fact that he has always had a ton of talent (top prospect in 1997-1999), and this is likely a case of where a change of scenery has done a world of good.
    Last edited by D-Man; 08-04-2002 at 06:33 PM.

Good to hear from you again D-Man. Where ya' been?

Maybe ole Russell oughtta be hitting 4th!
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

2 HRs now for Russ

JESUS! THIS GUY'S AWESOME!!!
    Go BLUE!!!

And the OPS just went higer.... Another HR for RB. :smokin:

Originally posted by MWM
    Good to hear from you again D-Man. Where ya' been?
    Vacation!! Thanks for asking. I actually didn't have much access to a computer while I was away--hard to believe, nowadays.

I actually was at the Reds-Dodgers game on Thursday. Wow, did I luck out--I got to see the best game of the year. FWIW, everyone in my section (green seats in RF) thought Gagne was clearly trying to hit Dunn. After the game, all the press was talking about how Gagne got jobbed; however no one was talking about how he was spouting off expletives after the Boone HR. I think it was clearly a case where Eric let emotions get the better of him. Of course it didn't make *sense* to plunk Dunn in that situation, but Gagne is not exactly a slave to logic (and he reminds me a lot of Rob Dibble, who was known as a bit of a hothead himself).

BTW, my whole family is now convinced Gagne is on the "juice."
    Last edited by D-Man; 08-04-2002 at 06:14 PM.

Originally posted by D-Man

but Gagne is not exactly a slave to logic

Glad you're back D-Man, awesome game for you to get a chance to see!!

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

"So Fla Red"
    Holy timely threads batman.

3 dingers for ol' Russ!

The guy is making a believer out of me. 10-10. Now lets win this wild one.

Turn Off Ads?