Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Russell Branyan Blossoming Into A Geuine Hitter?

ESPN just showed No. 3... Oppo off a LHP. Impressive.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"
    Originally posted by oregonred
    Gotta love the Santo optimism!

101 AB's for Branyan as a Red and Russell is right at a .900 OPS. 2nd only to Mr. Dunn in that category (min 100AB's).

This has been an outstanding trade for the Reds in 2002. LT the jury is still out. Branyan has made the difference in 3-4 games thus far.

I think Branyan had a lot of hype and pressure in Cleveland and couldn't live up to the expectations. He had a hot start in 2000 and the fans thought he was going to become a young power hitter to make up for the Giles/Sexson/Casey unpopular trades. 2001 was a bad year (132K's in 315AB's), but he still had a .802 OPS despite his Rob Deer like .232 average.

He has no such expectations in Cinci and appears to have worked hard since his arrival without promise of much PT.
    OPS Update. Russell leaves Dunn in the Dust by picking up 107 points in today's game alone.

Check out Russell's 1.005 OPS!

Actually, very impressed with Branyan taking his walk in the 9th and scoring the winning run.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Is Russ Branyan blossoming into a genuine hitter?

Originally posted by Benihana
    The question now becomes what to do with the sudden surplus of positional talent?
    Methinks it would be a good idea not to trade it away for the wrong pitchers...

Props for the Branyan/Broussard trade analysis, Beni. Brousssard was my fav-o-rite, high-OPS prospect so I hated the trade, especially knowing that Branyan had an ungodly K rate. But later that night I saw Branyan's complete stats and saw that he was more than a HR hitter, he could also take a walk every now and then. And that he had hit for a decent average in the minors. But he's still been a huge surprise, for me at least. I just want JimBo to do the right thing and steal Ben back from the Indians.

L Walker 2B
    R Kearns LF
    L Dunn 1B
    L Griffey CF
    R Encarnacion RF
    L Branyan 3B
    R Boone SS
    R Miller/LaRue C

Of course, we wouldn't have Dempster...but #3-6 could have put on a BP display...

Somtimes, you amaze me, Mal. You question Bowden's move to grab a talented young pitcher by giving up Juan E? Juan E?!?!?! Just for clarification:

1. You leave Casey off your list. I assume that's permanent. Therefore, not only will he be a $4 million a year pinch hitter/ part-time player, he'll be a part-timer with a horrid contract and no hope of moving him. Casey as a pinch hitter? From a guy who hits .300+ for his career? For Encarnacion?

2. Larkin is also not in your lineup. That's $13 million on the bench right there, in case you're interested. Leaving the two natural leaders of the Cincinnati franchise on the bench, to boot. That would make for great team chemistry. Especially at this point.

3. Are we completely ignoring career stats, career norms, and likely contributions from veterans? I agree that Juan is a talented ballplayer, but no way is he more valuable than Casey. Especially in a pennant race. Look at what he's done since the deal. That's called reverting to career norms. That's usually what players do. That's what Juan has done his entire career, though he had a monster 1/2 year in Cincinnati.

4. With Encarnacion in the lineup, that would mean no deal for pitching, right? Because, according to you and your bretheren, Casey has little value and Larkin is of no value. Is the pitching staff, then, good enough to win? Who do you propose to entice teams willing to deal? Which pitchers are you targeting? WIth which players? Remember, too, not to spend over what you're dealing, so no prospects for Colon deals.

5. You're taking Boone out of the #2 hole in the lineup. The one spot he has excelled. As in the best offensive 3B in the league while in the #2 hole. For Kearns? Hypothtically, sure, but why would the Reds do this? It's working (and working well) with Boone in the 2 spot and Kearns at #5. Besides, Kearns has power potential Boone does not possess.

6. Finally, Boone and Branyan on the left side of the infield? Defensively, that's among the worst in the game. You're talking 40 errors a year, at least. With Dunn and Walker around the horn? Ugh. That's the epitome of fantasy baseball.

Re: Re: Is Russ Branyan blossoming into a genuine hitter?

Originally posted by malcontent

I just want JimBo to do the right thing and steal Ben back from the Indians.
    Thanks for the credit Mal, but surely you can't be serious when you say this??

Between

Griffey, Jr.
    Kearns
    Dunn (until Casey is moved)
    Branyan
    Larson
    Taylor
    Clark
    Mateo
    and Pena,

don't you think we have enough OFs? And obviously either Casey or Dunn is a permanent fixture at 1B, so BB could never play there. We already have to move some guys from the above list, so acquiring BB would be counterproductive- even if he's your favorite player
    Go BLUE!!!

I just can't help but wonder how this team is winning without adding Rolen to this team. It's pretty obvious to all astute Red's fans that the current talent level at 3b is just pathetic at the ML level. Good grief, how can this team win when all they have to choose from at the 3b position is Boone, Branyan, and Larson?

Hat's off to Russ who had perhaps the biggest game of his career, and most definetly the biggest offensive contribution of any player on the Reds for a single game this year!

I think it's fair to say that Russell singlehandedly won this all important rubber game with the Padres. Now the question is how do you justify taking his bat out of the lineup anytime in the next week or two? It's impossible. He is a super talented baseball player in the middle of a torrid hot streak.

As much as I would love to see Casey contributing to Red's wins, the team can afford to leave him on the DL until he is 100% healthy. If that means he rest's his shoulder until Sept, then so be it.

I am far from ready to give up on Casey, as I believe he has a batting title yet to win in his career, but you this team just can't afford to have him in the lineup unless he is producing like he did in '99.

Bowden is going to have some tough decisions to make in regards to the everyday lineup in the offseason, but the good news is that if he can keep his mouth shut long enough to keep his job he is likely to turn this abundance of talented young hitters into an abundance of talented pitchers.
    "Haven't you ever loved something that much?"

Re: Re: Re: Is Russ Branyan blossoming into a genuine hitter?

Originally posted by Benihana
    Thanks for the credit Mal, but surely you can't be serious when you say this??
    No. I am serious. I always wanted to see Broussard replace Casey at 1B. Even if Dunn is there, Broussard could play some OF.

Scrap: I'm not suggesting the Reds move Boone from the #2 hole. But in that fantasy lineup, I'd rather see JE bat #2. I know the IF defense sucks, but face it, Casey is no Gold Glove at 1B. Dunn or, in the future, Branyan, would provide offensive production at that position that Casey simply can't. Larkin merits super-sub status based on a sub-0.700 OPS.

I just don't see the 1st half as being an aberration for Encarnacion. Sounds like you do, though.

Encarnacion = power and speed.

Casey = neither.

As for Dempster being a promising pitcher...maybe, but unless your name is Randy Johnson, a career 4.68 BB per 9 IP is not an encouraging sign for any young pitcher.
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-05-2002 at 01:29 AM.

Mal,

He could play some OF? When?!

As it is we can't find enough playing time for Branyan and Larson, and either Dunn or Casey is locked in at 1st. Sounds like you share JimBo's obsession with "not being able to acquire enough OFs."
    Go BLUE!!!

Go Russell, "It's a great day for a miracle!!"

Eric G. is juiced I was at that game also, I was sitting blue off the 1st base side. He is alot bigger than last year:thumbdown
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Regression to the mean

As some of you remember, I promised to eat a cheese coney through my nostril if Branyan ever blossomed into a great hitter. Then, after his hot couple of weeks, some of you actually offered to drive to my hometown and apply said coney into my nasal pathway yourself. Well, before you drive up here...

Branyan in August .167 average
    Branyan so far in September .188 average

Now as a Red, he has a .338 on-base% and a .479 slugging%, in 200 or so plate appearances.

Neither of these are significantly higher than his career totals.

However, I have to say that the trade looks good for the Reds so far. Broussard totally choked in the majors, and seems to be sputtering in Buffalo. I almost wonder if he's injured.
    Stick to your guns.

Since his 3 HR game Russell has struck out 32 times out of 64 AB's.

Sidenote.: the most K's in a season that Joe Dimaggio ever had was in his rookie season - 36

Originally posted by westofyou
    Sidenote.: the most K's in a season that Joe Dimaggio ever had was in his rookie season - 36
    I don't ask for much out of Russell. Dimaggio had more HR than K's seven times in his career. I just want him to see Branyan do it once.

How cool would it be to see Russell pound out 185 HR while striking out 'only' 180 times?

Hey, it could happen .... if they move the fences in to about 150 feet.

Turn Off Ads?