Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LF: Dorn in 2009?

LF: Dorn in 2009?

Danny Dorn is 24 years old. He had a very good 2008 in AA and would have gone to AAA except he missed time with an injury. He hits RHP very well. He struggles vs LHP.

Lets say the Reds trade for Ordonez ( or Swisher or Holliday signed to a LTC ). What happens when Dorn is ready for the bigs 6-1-2009? We are saddled with a huge contract for years & we have a young in house option blocked.

Since the Reds ain't gonna be hanging a world series flag in 2009 i would like to see any moves made this offseason go towards improving the team for 2010 & beyond.

rather than pay dearly in money or talent for a stud left fielder why not go out and get a halfway decent RH hitter. someone who could play a little CF in a pinch and hits LHP very well. then by midseason you have Bruce in RF with Dorn-Dickerson-RH bat fighting for playing time in LF & CF.

The type of guy i am thinking of is Reed Johnson or Randy Winn ( not specifically suggesting these guys as i don't know if they are available ).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LF: Dorn in 2009?

The biggest knock against Dorn is that he can't hit left-handed pitching. That may change a bit with time, but at the moment, a lot of people are saying he'll be a platoon player.

Dorn's splits are a concern but I really believe that's normal for most young lefthanded hitters. The only way to find out is to start him in AAA and play him constantly exposing him as much as possible to lefthanded pitching. No platooning. All Dorn needs is to get his line against lefties into semi respectable territory because he IS a terror against Rhers.

I like your plan in a sense - just throw the young kids out there in LF & CF: Stubbs, Dickerson, Dorn, platooning them as required. My problem with that is I think 2009 needs to be spent in AAA where Dorn and Stubbs can play every day and hit LHers & RHers, gaining more experience and more regular play than they would in the majors.

Sometimes going with the kids and suffering growing pains is the way to go and sometimes it is just too soon and the growing pains can be something more permanent you created by moving them too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The biggest knock against Dorn is that he can't hit left-handed pitching. That may change a bit with time, but at the moment, a lot of people are saying he'll be a platoon player.
    Even if he isn't a world beater against righties, he'd be an uber value as a platoon/lefty pinch hitter guy for a few years.

Cheap and young bench/role players are awesome. Let's 'em spend money on more important stuff.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I assume he's played most days in AA and lower vs both righties & lefties. His splits are pretty extreme, but I think he'll be at worst a valuable bench guy in the future. His biggest draw back would be the combo of votto-Bruce-yonder are all left handers. You can't bring Dorn off the bench to spell any of the 3 vs a tough lefty. Unless the Reds get a little bit more right handed in the OF/1b than they appear to be in the future, Dorn's best value will likely come in a trade.

For now, play him every day in AAA, build his value as much as possible, and perhaps you find a spot for him in a reserve/temperary starter or you trade him for another piece.

just put EE out there in 2009

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post

Cheap and young bench/role players are awesome. Let's 'em spend money on more important stuff.
    absolutely.

people focus on the stud prospects we have but guys like Dickerson, Hanigan, Rosales, Dorn may not be world beaters or Hall of Famers but they are ... CHEAP. Very important for a small market team like the Reds. when backup catchers are pulling in $2M/year we need to have a steady stream of lower level prospects who call be role players and not make a ton of money.

IF Dorn and Stubbs show they can be ready by June, they'd make a dandy platoon in LF.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    IF Dorn and Stubbs show they can be ready by June, they'd make a dandy platoon in LF.
    Stubbs' glove would be wasted in LF, and it's quite possible he'll be need to platoon with Dickerson, who wasn't so hot himself against lefties during his minor league career.

That said, if Freel is still around or if Hairston is resigned, that's not a bad option. I'm very interested to see how Jocketty handles the near-ready talent in the system. Dorn will be an interesting case.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Stubbs' glove would be wasted in LF, and it's quite possible he'll be need to platoon with Dickerson, who wasn't so hot himself against lefties during his minor league career.

That said, if Freel is still around or if Hairston is resigned, that's not a bad option. I'm very interested to see how Jocketty handles the near-ready talent in the system. Dorn will be an interesting case.
    By June we'd know a number of things. Can Dickerson hold his own against LH pitching? If he can, Stubbs glove really isn't wasted, it just enhances the OF. We'll also have almost half a season from Dorn and just over from Stubbs at AAA.

I really never want to see an OF of Freel, Stubbs, Bruce.

Let's see how Dorn does next year against lefties in AAA. I think you give him a chance to start in LF if he can show some improvement. I'm not ready to say he will only be a platoon player.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

By June we'd know a number of things. Can Dickerson hold his own against LH pitching? If he can, Stubbs glove really isn't wasted, it just enhances the OF. We'll also have almost half a season from Dorn and just over from Stubbs at AAA.

I really never want to see an OF of Freel, Stubbs, Bruce.
    I know you'd much rather prefer Hopper, Patterson (c'mon, we all know he's coming back) and Freel.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I know you'd much rather prefer Hopper, Patterson (c'mon, we all know he's coming back) and Freel.
    I just threw up in my mouth. thanks, i wanted to taste apple pie again.

That said, the 2004 Freel was fun to watch.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I just threw up in my mouth. thanks, i wanted to taste apple pie again.

That said, the 2004 Freel was fun to watch.
    We know Bruce will be in our OF for 2009, and we can assume Dickerson will continue to get his audition, but currently our LF options are Hopper and Freel...

Awesome....

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    We know Bruce will be in our OF for 2009, and we can assume Dickerson will continue to get his audition, but currently our LF options are Hopper and Freel...

Awesome....
    I think we see a sleeper for 2009 in LF. I'm hoping that sleeper isn't Votto simply because I think he is turning into a plus defender there.

Frazier wouldn't surprise me if he gets a chance to play again after his concussion, and continues to hit in Hawaii.

But my real sleeper is Sean Henry.

Turn Off Ads?