Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A's take a Holliday

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

A's take a Holliday

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...day/index.html

The Oakland Athletics have acquired star outfielder Matt Holliday in a trade with the Colorado Rockies, SI.com has learned.
    What does Mr. Beane have up his sleeve? At least St. Louis didn't get him --- yet.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A's take a Holliday

Beane is smart. If Huston Street is in this deal, it's even smarter. The A's only acquired him to ship him at the deadline next season. Beane's one helluva chess player -- always thinking one move ahead.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

"That's shocking."

well now we'll find out for sure if holliday benefited from coors field and how much. oakland doesn't exactly have a hitters park. oakland may just deal him to another team in a few months or let him leave after the season and take the draft picks. ya never know with beane.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Pretty puzzling move. I really don't think they are that close to competing and they probably won't be able to compete in the signing frenzy that will occur when he hits FA.

I don't get it, but I am glad he is not a Cardinal
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

I am relieved that he is not going to be a Red.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

IF the deal happens he'll help the A's short term and most likely will be dealt for more/better prospects. if holliday doesn't have his stats hurt much it would only help his value in another deal. beane would buy a player with questionable splits with the possibility of a nice payoff later.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

very surprising.
    Coors to Oakland, wow. Those stats are going to plummet a bit.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Funny thing is, I think there is a chance his stats will decline with the A's and they won't get as much value if they hold him to the trading deadline next year. They should think long and hard about trading him now.
    Who's on first?

it's definitely a risky move. but the best time to deal a veteran for prospects is always in july when teams are desperate for that piece to help them into the playoffs.

guess everyone on redszone can take him out of their projected next years lineups

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    guess everyone on redszone can take him out of their projected next years lineups
    Thank goodness.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

Right now it looks like the A's will send Greg Smith, Huston Street, and Carlos Gonzalez to Oakland for Holliday.

If that's what the market is for a top of the line outfielder, the Reds could probably get Ordonez for a lot less considering his age and cost. I'd be all over it if I were the Walt.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

So much for the news that a multi year extension (a la Boras) would be required to get him.

And is it me or are the prospects Colorado getting not all that a bag of chips? Kind of a bummer for those of us who wanted him with the Reds next year. Seems like we coulda offered better/more.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

What a bunch or turds. Rockies just traded 1 year and 2 1st round picks for a pretty little.

Turn Off Ads?