Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham to Nationals

Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham to Nationals

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3694827

The Washington Nationals began their rebuilding process Monday, agreeing to a trade for left fielder Josh Willingham and lefty starter Scott Olsen of the Florida Marlins for a package of players.

The Nats traded away second baseman Emilio Bonifacio, who hit .243 in 49 games last season, and two minors leaguers in pitcher P.J. Dean and shortstop Jake Smolinski, sources told ESPN's Peter Gammons.

Olsen, went 8-11 with a 4.20 ERA in 33 starts for the Marlins last year, while Willingham -- who can also play first base -- hit .254 with 15 homers.

Bonaficio is a career .240 hitter, who was traded to Washington for Jon Rauch by Arizona last season. His quickness fills Florida's need to improve its right-side defense.

Dean went 4-1 with a 1.57 ERA in 10 starts in the Gulf Coast League last season while Smolinski hit .306 in the New York-Penn League.
    That is an...interesting...move for the Marlins. Willingham and Olsen wouldn't have been bad fits for the Reds, especially considering the asking price.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham to Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3694827

That is an...interesting...move for the Marlins. Willingham and Olsen wouldn't have been bad fits for the Reds, especially considering the asking price.
    Neither would Bonaficio if you move Phillips to SS.

That's a good deal for the Nationals. I was hoping the Reds would go after Olsen. The Reds could have easily topped that deal with Valaika + Lecure or another prospect.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

wow... there goes one deal that could've helped...
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

Yeah that was a deal that I actually think could've helped us, oh well maybe Jocketty's working on something bigger!

If the Marlins are just gonna give away players like that then Walt needs to jump in and make an offer for Hermida.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Bowden can never have too many outfielders.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Bowden can never have too many outfielders.
    But Willingham isn't a 5 tooler...

What gives?!

I thought JimBo only collected 5 toolers.

Olsen is kind of blucky. No, he's exceptionally blucky.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Olsen gave up too many bombs for my taste. And that was in Florida granted that was probably to LF the shortest but highest part of the field I believe. But he wouldn't have been a good fit for us IMO. Willingham I was never much impressed with either. Perhaps the Marlins think Smolinski or Dean is a diamond in the rough, Bonafacio could end up being a steal if they can get his offensive game ironed out a bit. Still it probably was about as good as the Nats could hope for.

Where does Uggla now land? Please don't say LF in GABP, although i'm sure we could certainly do worse. I would rather have him than Magglio and contract. I assumed he was on the block even before this deal (due to arb.), but now it looks even moreso.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Willingham was a guy I was trumpeting. I think he'll be a good acquisition for the Nats...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Uggla in LF at GABP? I'd watch that experiment.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Uggla in LF is an idea I kinda like...
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    I guess I only have myself to blame for bringing that one up.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Count me in

What kind of an infielder is Uggla though? Would Uggla @ 3B & EdE in LF work better (although I'm still dubious about the latter)?
    Last edited by corkedbat; 11-10-2008 at 11:01 PM.

Turn Off Ads?