Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham to Nationals

Re: Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham to Nationals

Hopefully that's one less team for Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Hopefully that's one less team for Dunn.
    My fingers are still crossed he comes back to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Where does Uggla now land?
    Maybe they move Cantu to LF and put Uggla at 3B? Cantu made a ton of errors at 3B last year, so it wouldn't surprise me that they would want to move him somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    Maybe they move Cantu to LF and put Uggla at 3B? Cantu made a ton of errors at 3B last year, so it wouldn't surprise me that they would want to move him somewhere else.
    ah ha! since Cantu is arbitration eligible maybe the Marlins will try to move him. if we could get him cheap he could be our stopgap left fielder. the old adage is that even my grandma can play LF.

note - i am only half joking. Cantu's OPS+ of 110 after we released him last winter still irks me.

I thought Cantu was moving to 1st for them taking it over for the recently departed Jacobs.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I thought Cantu was moving to 1st for them taking it over for the recently departed Jacobs.
    I know that's been discussed, but they also have Gaby Sanchez and Dallas McPherson who are 1B/3B types that have been talked about potentially taking over at 1B. Guess it just depends what arrangement they want.

No problem with moving Willingham or Olsen as both weren't going to be back next year anyway.

BIG PROBLEM with getting nothing in return for them.

I know that's been discussed, but they also have Gaby Sanchez and Dallas McPherson who are 1B/3B types that have been talked about potentially taking over at 1B. Guess it just depends what arrangement they want.
    I was thinking McPherson was the leading candidate for 3rd. But either way I believe the Fla. has a mind to keep Cantu for next season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I don't expect Cantu to be back next year. Wouldn't be Marlins-like.

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101 View Post
    I don't expect Cantu to be back next year. Wouldn't be Marlins-like.
    Hey Ramp while I got ya here. Kpresidente noted a guy a week or so ago I found interesting, Catcher John Baker. 1st what's the story on his game specifically defense and do you think he'd be available?

--Woody Hayes

Anybody getting that feeling that Austin Kearns could be on his way out in Washington. With the addition of Willingham to go along with Lastings Milledge and Elijah Dukes in the outfield, Kearns could be the odd man out. And given his contract and performance in 2008, he could be probably had real cheap.

So would Kearns fullfill the Reds wishlist of a righthanded hitter for the middle of the order? Or do you take the been there done that approach and move on?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

[The Washington Nationals began their rebuilding process Monday]
    Strictly speaking, the Washington Nationals cannot "rebuild". You can't "rebuild" unless you were at some point "built".
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Count me in

What kind of an infielder is Uggla though? Would Uggla @ 3B & EdE in LF work better (although I'm still dubious about the latter)?
    I've only seen him play a few times but what stands out the most is the all star game. Where he played horrible defense. Not saying he's a bad defender all the time but I wasn't impressed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Anybody getting that feeling that Austin Kearns could be on his way out in Washington. With the addition of Willingham to go along with Lastings Milledge and Elijah Dukes in the outfield, Kearns could be the odd man out. And given his contract and performance in 2008, he could be probably had real cheap.

So would Kearns fullfill the Reds wishlist of a righthanded hitter for the middle of the order? Or do you take the been there done that approach and move on?
    Let's put it this way, if the Reds decided to bring Kearns back, you have one more selling point to talk Dunn into returning.

Could the Reds get by with an OF of Dunn, Bruce, and Kearns?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Let's put it this way, if the Reds decided to bring Kearns back, you have one more selling point to talk Dunn into returning.

Could the Reds get by with an OF of Dunn, Bruce, and Kearns?
    Or ED, Bruce and O'Neill?

Turn Off Ads?