Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bob Boone Supporters, Chime in Please!

RedSchmo began this thread with the best idea I've read in some time for a Reds manager. The Reds have only had four top flight managers in the last 40 years: Hutch, Sparky, Lou and Dave Johnson. Most of the rest have been mediocre at best, terrible at worst, so my expectations for Boone's replacement are not high. I kinda like his idea of Jennifer Love Hewitt as manager-it might increase ticket sales so Lindner and Allen will let Bowden acquire some pitching, and her presence should keep the players alert. Hewitt or Bob Boone? Why not love?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Originally posted by Red Thunder

By just quoting this years stats, Taylor hits 'em out nearly as good as Encarnacion.

Encarnacion: 21 Homeruns in 481 at bats (= 22 HR in 500 AB)

Taylor: 8 Homeruns in 200 at bat (= 20 HR in 500 AB)
    Well, looking at Taylor's track record and watching him play, it is obvious that JuanE has more power. Taylor is at the peak of his power potential; JuanE has still not reached the peak of his power potential. Taylor does not impress me much powerwise. If he adapted an approach similar to Encarnacion(which is still a swing for the fences type approach, but using the whole field), his SLG would be much lower in my opinion. Taylor hates singles almost as much as he hates walks. Taylor has allstar talent, but he also has a little league approach.

I actually think that the Reds would have a better record with Torre and Piniella. They are the best two managers in baseball; no one else is even close. The Yankees and Mariners have such disciplined hitting lineups. They have more good at bats than any other teams in baseball. I am sure a lot of that has to do with the players, but in those lineups, just about everyone has a decent approach at the plate. Piniella told Bret Boone to stop pulling every pitch or he was going to be on the bench. As a result, Bret Boone is now one of the best opposite field HR hitters in baseball. OTOH, Aaron Boone flat out refused to hit the ball the other way for half the season and was rewarded for it with more playing time and the best job security possible. Is it just a coincidence that the Boone brothers are 2 of the least fundementally sound hitters around? Even Soriano uses the whole field.

I have to admit that one of my biggest gripes with this team is it's lack (or embarassment) of sound fundamentals of the game. I believe this coaching staff emphasizes them, but it's the "execution" by the players, or lack thereof, that tee's me off.

In last night's game, when we are down 2-1 in the 8th... we have bases loaded with no outs, and they send Castro up (who is said to be one of our best bunters, regardless of his B/A), and he pops up to the catcher. The next 2 guys K looking. They showed Bob Boone in the dugout (and the guy was not happy!).

I think Bob (and Ray) make alot of good calls in the right situations, but it's the players lack of execution that is killing us!

Now some would say that is Bob Boone's fault! Is it? These players make it to the pros being brought up in Little League, high school, college, and in the minors, having the fundamentals drilled into their heads. YOU DON'T TEACH IT TO THEM ONCE THEY REACH THE MAJORS!

I watched the Little league WS, and it was great watching these kids play a fundamentally sound game.

But somehow that gets lost in the majors. Maybe it's because it doesn't make for good ESPN highlights, or give you "name recognition' like a Bonds or Sosa (and the big paychecks).

IMHO, the best fundamentally sound team in the majors this year (and the main reason they are going to the post-seson) is the Twins! No big name superstars...just fundamentally team ball!

Agree with you wholeheartedly there GAC! Lay down a bunt, hit to the right side, hit the cutoff man....these are things that you're supposed to know by the time you get to the bigs!

Maybe because players don't get the fundamental coaching early on, maybe because they are rushed through the minors, maybe because (as you mentioned) it isn't glamorous, a lot of guys that wear big league unis don't seem to know how to do these things! And, if your stratagey relies on someone being able to do the basics but they don't, you're in trouble. And, trying to teach someone to do these things when they are in the majors but didn't learn them in 15 years of baseball at other levels is a very big uphill climb.

Rem

YEAH!... How are these players, when their careers are over, going to be able to set up those baseball training camps where they teach the youth the fundamentals...when they have forgotten them?

Maybe they could offer lessons on...

How to develop a "sweet swing" while striking out (in case ESPN is filming)

How to have proper eye coordination while eyeing the ball into the catcher's mitt (and on the return throw)

Laguage skills 101 on how to argue called third strikes.

The proper way to do the "DP trot"

How to shield your eyes and blame it on the sun when the ball is hit over your head.

How to develop your own "step out out of the box" routine between every pitch.

How to dive for routine fly balls hit to the OF, or, "Hotdogging 101" (class instructor- Jim Edmonds)

How to give a good "Star of the Game" post game interview

For all those who immediately started screaming and wailing last night when Castro went in for Walker, here's an excerpt from today's Enquirer....

With Todd Walker due up, Reds manager Bob Boone sent up pinch-hitter Juan Castro. The fact that Castro is hitting .183 and Walker .285 was negated because Walker has struggled bunting, although he does have five sacrifices to Castro's one.

“We decided last week if we ever got that situation again, we were sending Castro up there,” Boone said, referring to Walker's failure to get a bunt down against Houston's Roy Oswalt on Aug.17.

Walker might get another try someday because Castro popped up a bunt on the first pitch from Steve Kline.

“He threw me a slider,” Castro said. “But no excuses. You got to get a bunt down there.”

Second guessing is fine, but there are ALWAYS reasons behind a managers moves that may or may not be apparent. I could hear a collective wail from the Boone bashers from all corners of the globe last night when he sent Castro up there.

What a perfect opportunity to lambast him before, during, and after that sad bunt attempt.

Of course it's his fault that Castro couldn't get the job done. Of course he's an idiot who pulls his lineups out of a hat. Of course all you guys would be a better manager than he is.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

hey RFS62

I am a little confused - because Boone had a reason that means what?

Hitler had a reason for exterminatinating the Jews. Stalin had a reason for killing 6 million Russians. Charles Manson had a reason for the Helter Skelter murders.

No, I am not saying Boone is evil. What I am saying is that just because someone has a reason for doing something does not make it correct, or even logical. If the beginning premise is flawed than everything that follows is flawed. I believe that what most people, and myself, are saying is that Boone's logic is flawed from the get go and therefore every move he makes from thence forward is thereby flawed

Gee, I'm not real sure I was clear there so let me try and sum it up. Just because Bob Boone has all these Wily E. Coyote motives for his moves does not make them anymore correct than someone who has no reasons for the moves he makes. Starting from an illogical premise and getting to a flawed result from hard work is no different from guessing and ending up at the same flawed result. The end is still a flawed result.

Most people's problems with Boone are the flawed results (or what we believe are flawed results), so the fact that he ALWAYS has reasons does not soften the blow, because he still always starts from a flawed premise

I hope that made sense
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Originally posted by Puffy
    hey RFS62

I am a little confused - because Boone had a reason that means what?

Hitler had a reason for exterminatinating the Jews. Stalin had a reason for killing 6 million Russians. Charles Manson had a reason for the Helter Skelter murders.

Wow.

I also have a reason for not posting anything about Boone anymore, and up until this thread I had done my best to stick to it. Thanks for reminding me what it was.

It just occured to me reading the game thread that folks might be able to put aside their hatred of Bob Boone and look at as many factors as possible before passing judgement on that particular move.

I understand why many don't, though.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Originally posted by Puffy

I realize your comparison was not in comparing Bob Boone with these people or the magnitude of what they did versus your perceived inadequacy of Bob Boone, but I bet if you tried really really hard, you could up with a more appropriate parallel within the context of a simple game.

J-Rod

Bob and Joey

He has let Joey Hamilton lose 3 games in late innings by brining him in. Joey Hamilton needs to be demoted to Louisville, and not resigned next year. Give the closers job to Reidling and let Hudson set up with Chen and Sullivan the mop up men.

Have Graves try starting.

Whatever happens. Lose Hamilton!

oh my god, you people cannot be serious

I made it plain and simple that I was not saying Boone is, was, ever will be in this league. I used extremes, yes extremes, only to make a point

My point was simple, and explained twice - just because a person has a reason for doing something does not make it correct.

As for my choice of characters, I apologize, I was a history major in college and I learned alot about these despicible men, and I was only using to make an extreme point. No where did I compare Bob Boone the man to them. No where did I compare baseball to what they did.

What I did do was try to show that every person has REASONS for doing what they do, but just having reasons does not earn someone a free pass

So let me try this again - my problem with Boone is that he begins from a premise that is not funtamentally (baseball-wise)sound, IMO. Therefore, anywhere he leaps from this beginning premise is flawed

This is only my position and I'm not forcing it on anyone, and I'm not saying Boone is anything more than a bad manager, IMO.

And again, the examples I used were extremes, that is what they teach you to use in writing classes. Those men are horrible, evil morons who ruined the lives of many, many families.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I still want Jennifer Love Hewitt as manager. Just think of the drama if the Reds played the Texas Rangers, with Love in one dugout and with Rafael Palmeiro taking his favorite endorsed medication in the other. :evilgrin:
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I'd like to see Jennifer as manager too! The only problem is when she has to go to the mound and jerk a pitcher, or tries to send in a PHer late in the game and tells him to grab his bat (that could pose a huge communication problem :evilgrin: ).

Using Jennifer as a manager would be a tremendous waste of talent.

I see her as trainer and strength coach. I'll bet nobody would ever, ever miss pre-game stretching again with her running the show!!

On the other hand, I can also forsee all 25 guys lined up at once outside the trainers room for treatment on their new found groin injuries!!!

:evilgrin:

Turn Off Ads?