Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Bob Boone Supporters, Chime in Please!

By the way, and not that it really matters, but as I mentioned before, I think McKeon is a great guy and character. I would relish the chance to sit down and listen to him talk baseball and smoke a cigar with him.(One of my passions too!) I am mesmerized by people that have the history in the game that McKeon and those of his generation have. He's probably the type of guy who would just sit down and talk to a nobody. Would be much more my style than trying to sit down and listen to Bob Boone. I just never cared for Jack's managerial style. I'm sure most of the players liked Jack. I know his coaches did, after talking to several of them at Reds baseball heaven. They just amplified what I believe is true these days. It's hard for guys like Jack to motivate todays players, when they are making the money that they do. Would be like me trying to motivate Donald Trump. Managing a baseball team is probably harder today than it has ever been.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Arizona...home of the 2001 WS Champion Diamondbacks

Papa Boone...

To make it short; I still think that Boone overall does a good job, despite his share of mistakes. And I still believe that most fans who want to see Boone fired forget that very likely no other manager could do a better job with this team, because the weak points are the players and not that much the manager.

I agree completely!

I will also be the first to say that Bob Brenly fits into the category of 'micro-manager' too, just like Papa Boone. But...Brenly obviously does something right most of the time, if not at least some of it. Maybe it is all in the way Papa goes about his managing...each manager is different, albeit the same. this does nto keep me from supporting Brenly or Boone.
    A Penny for my thoughts=BRAD

"Come on ride the Train...Ride It...Come on ride the train...the D-Train"...Dontrelle Willis and the Boys...swimmin' their way to another World Series Championship...I love Brad Penny...always and forever <3

Darryl Andrew Kile--12/2/68-6/22/02
    "Mr. GQ...you are be sorely missed!!!"

"What happened the following year? "

The Reds won 85 games, a win total not matched in the two years since.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

I'll chip in here FWIW.

I am not one to dislike either a player or a manager unless they are a complete a$$ - and yes, there are enough of those nowadays. But I do not consider Bob Boone to be one of them. I rooted for and supported John Cooper at OSU, right up until it was time for him to go. I will do so with Bob too.

That said, though, I have not really enjoyed his style of managing. It just seems like he has done a large number of very questionable things (granted IMO) this year. Then when I hear the explanations, they just don't seem to sit well with me. Just a personal (baseball-personal) thing I guess.

I realize and accept that this is no reason for him to be removed from his position - because I don't like a lot of his moves. But nonetheless, it does affect my enjoyment of the game at times. I will support whoever is at the helm of the Reds as long as they seem to be a decent person (and BB does). But I can hope for someone better to come along.

I thought the Reds would be right at around .500 this year. Hopefully they can make a mini-run and fulfill my prediction. If they continue this trend, though, they will have underachieved IMO. I know staying in the pennant race so deep into the season was over-achieving. I agree with that 100%. BB gets credit for that, but not full credit as it was not a full season. Not to get into our sample size argument here, but part of a season does not a full season make.

We can only carry that "we were in 1st place" argument so far until we must realize that how we finish the season is the true measure here. And right now it is looking like it will be below my expectations. Were my expectations of playing break-even ball too high? Maybe. But I think some things could have been handled better this year.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

You yearning for McKeon too, guernsey?

No one is yearning for McKeon. You still have not stated who the great managers are today and why you think they are great and why would one of these want to come to Cincy?

Boone is the manager for atleast one more year.
    UNC - God's Country

Originally posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    You yearning for McKeon too, guernsey?
    I guess I yearn for the wins, and in 1999 and 2000 the Reds won, so Jack couldn't have been all bad. I remember the Reds got within 3 games of first in early August that year, too.

No, I don't think Jack could get them to the WS, but he wasn't as awful as some make him out to be. I think Bob Boone is pretty middle-of-the-road, too. I was really hoping the Reds were serious about re-hiring Sweet Lou a couple of years ago, but obviously that was a pipe dream!
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Hit a nerve, RedDog?:evilgrin:You don't care much for my comments do you? That's allright.

Personally, I think Joe Torre is a great manager. Players respect him. He communicates to them, whether it's good or bad. He has a tremendous amount of talent, and he has an owner who will go out and keep him in the talent.

Lou Piniella. Good baseball man. Has learned to contol his temper, and is pretty straight up with his players. Has a knack for the game. Has won with lesser talent.

Dusty Baker. Players like and respect him. Proven winning record. Seems to be around the top every season. Seems to manage the ego's well. Keeps the problems inside the clubhouse.

Art Howe. I would have to include him. Blessed with strong pitching and seems to be managing it well. Get's the most out of an offense that doesn't look that impressive on paper. They play the game the way it should be played. Nice team.

On the verge.......

Mike Scioscia. Doing a nice job in Anaheim. Good Dodger background. Runs a pretty good game.

Jim Tracey. Tough job. Mentally tough individual. Needs to prove it over the long haul.

Bob Brenly. A lot of guys could win with that pitching. Jury still out.

Proven winners.......

Bobby Cox. I have never liked him, but he does something right

Tony Larussa. Tireless worker. Micro-manages. Thinks he is smarter than the rest, and he may be. Has won everywhere he has been.

Out of the game but great still.........

Felipe Alou. To do what he did in Montreal with what he had to work with speaks volumes. Great with young players.....a real baseball man.

I don't know why any of these guys would want to come to Cincinnati. Low budget for players, low salary for the manager. Only plus is the new ballpark and the tradition, if that still exists in anyone's mind but the fans of the Reds. The Reds will probably have to take their chances on a young guy looking to make his mark, or fall into some great situation. I think Joe Morgan would make a great manager.....but his gig is too good with ESPN to want to come down out of the booth. His ego is the only thing that could make him want to do it, and return Cincinnati to its glory. Joe would be able to throw that out for centuries on end.

Sorry that I can't include Jack on the list. As I said, I think he was a great guy, but not a great manager.

Now, RedDog, you tell us what makes a great manager, and who you think is great, and why would any of them want to come to Cincinnati. You've asked a lot of questions. Now do some talking.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 09-06-2002 at 05:46 PM.

I liked Jack.

I like Bob.

Some of you on the other hand... :evilgrin:

J/K

Jennifer, I'm just not sure. Gives a whole new meaning to yanking a pitcher early. :smokin:
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

By the way, I thought Willie Randolph would have been a good fit in Cincinnati, but it sure don't look like that will ever happen.

creek,

bucksfan may have been right when he said that the thread needed to get back on track with Jenniffer................a little lighter don't you think.

red-in-la needs to get in on this debate.:evilgrin:

Yeppers Randy. After the past couple of weeks, we could use a little levity.

It's only besboll.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

If you really love the game, Besboll that is, the levity is all that gets you through the struggles, and yes my friend, we have struggled lately. But all is not lost. There is always tonight's game.........and next year. Besboll been berry berry gooood to me.

"So Fla Red"
    Jennifer Love-Hewitt and Halle Berry on the coaching staff!

Pregame show title (or marketing slogan) for 2003: "GABbing with the girls"

Debating over whether Bob Boone or Jack McKeon is the better manager is like debating over whether Paul Householder or Duane Walker was the better outfielder-in each case it is not a matter of someone being a bad guy, it is just that the person is mediocre at best at his job and won't bring you a championship.
    This season has turned so bad the last few weeks, turning the discussion to having Jennifer Love Hewitt as manager was the first positive thread I've seen in some time. Why doesn't RedsZone offer a Jennifer avatar?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?