Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Minor League FA Signings- 2008-09 Offseason

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Minor League FA Signings- 2008-09 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Pelland was always considered a fairly bright kid, which is probably why he got that scholarship put into his contract in the first place.
    Exactly!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pelland49 View Post
    I do hope that he gets that fire to give it another shot.
    I do, too, but shoulder injuries like his have a tendency to ruin pitching careers, even if they happen to be the aces of their clubs, so I won't hold my breath. Whichever path he chooses, though, I wish him the best.

Cincinnati Reds
    Signed: LHP Ron Flores

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...1816#more-1816

That's a solid signing. Flores has good numbers in the minors (460.1 IP, 450 H, 179 BB/473 K, 3.54 ERA and has had some mild success in the majors in limited time (56 IP, 52 H, 22 BB/41 K, 3.05 ERA. He's 29 years old. I'd look for him to get a spring training invite.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

San Diego Padres signed Kevin Howard

Nice to see him getting a job somewhere

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Cincinnati Reds
    Signed: LHP Ron Flores

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...1816#more-1816

That's a solid signing. Flores has good numbers in the minors (460.1 IP, 450 H, 179 BB/473 K, 3.54 ERA and has had some mild success in the majors in limited time (56 IP, 52 H, 22 BB/41 K, 3.05 ERA. He's 29 years old. I'd look for him to get a spring training invite.
    Could be this years Mike Lincoln right there.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Darnell McDonald has been signed.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomo88 View Post
    Good looking out. Here's a source, for those who require that sort of thing.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1817

IIrc, he was in trouble a few years ago for failing a drug test or something like that.

If Seattle goes with a Shelton/Branyan platoon, that could be mighty effective.
    Suck it up cupcake.

In ex-Reds news:
    The Arizona Diamondbacks signed Seth Etherton.
    The Baltimore Orioles signed Scott Chiasson and released Julio Manon, Rocky Cherry, and Jeff Fiorentino.
    The Kansas City Royals released Luke Hudson.
    The Los Angeles Dodgers signed Travis Chick.
    The San Diego Padres signed Kevin Howard (as noted by JayBruceFan).
    The Oakland Athletics signed Jerome Williams and released Kirk Saarloos.
    The Chicago Cubs added Marcos Mateo to the 40-man roster.
    The Cleveland Indians added Jeff Stevens to the 40-man roster.
    The Detroit Tigers signed Dane Sardinha (as noted by Doc. Scott).
    The New York Mets re-signed Andy Green.
    The Pittsburgh Pirates signed Brett Bartles (as noted above).
    The Texas Rangers re-signed Elizardo Ramirez (as noted above).
    The Washington Nationals re-signed Ryan Wagner (as noted above).
    The Cleveland Indians signed Damasa Espino.
    The Colorado Rockies re-signed Jon George.
    The Atlanta Braves released Corky Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomo88 View Post
    he'll be a good sign. could make the roster as over the last few years has done real well in AAA. think he got hurt last year or something.

was suspended in 05 for 15 games - doesn't say for what.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1817
    Cincinnati Reds
    Signed: OF Darnell McDonald

McDonald, a former top prospect for the Orioles, has settled into a life as a journeyman Triple-A outfielder. For someone with the role, the Reds are a good organization to land with right now, as the team has openings in left and center field. McDonald, 30, won’t be the first option at either, but if injuries crop up, Jerry Hairston Jr., showed last year that the Reds are willing to give a journeyman a chance if he’s swinging a hot bat.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    In ex-Reds news:
    The Arizona Diamondbacks signed Seth Etherton.
    The Baltimore Orioles signed Scott Chiasson and released Julio Manon, Rocky Cherry, and Jeff Fiorentino.
    The Kansas City Royals released Luke Hudson.
    The Los Angeles Dodgers signed Travis Chick.
    The San Diego Padres signed Kevin Howard (as noted by JayBruceFan).
    The Oakland Athletics signed Jerome Williams and released Kirk Saarloos.
    The Chicago Cubs added Marcos Mateo to the 40-man roster.
    The Cleveland Indians added Jeff Stevens to the 40-man roster.
    The Detroit Tigers signed Dane Sardinha (as noted by Doc. Scott).
    The New York Mets re-signed Andy Green.
    The Pittsburgh Pirates signed Brett Bartles (as noted above).
    The Texas Rangers re-signed Elizardo Ramirez (as noted above).
    The Washington Nationals re-signed Ryan Wagner (as noted above).
    The Cleveland Indians signed Damasa Espino.
    The Colorado Rockies re-signed Jon George.
    The Atlanta Braves released Corky Miller.
    It's amazing who's still kicking around.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

This past week's signings have been covered pretty thoroughly, so I'll wait until the next BA transactions post to weigh in again.

I like the signings of McDonald and Flores just fine. (I'm surprised the Dodgers beat Jocketty and Co. to ex-Cards utilityman Hector Luna, too.) Darnell has been a fairly decent hitter in AAA since around 2002, generally OPSing around the 800 mark or a little below (his career mark is just 725, but his power was late-developing). Oddly, his first big-league shot was in 2004 with Baltimore in a major off-year (.234/.294/.368 at AAA Ottawa). He got another short stay in '07 with Minnesota. He looks generally good for 10-15 homers and 15-25 steals, moderate plate discipline, and a fair number of strikeouts at the AAA level. He also represents the downside of a potential career path for one Chris Dickerson.

Sorry to hear it about Pelland if it's true.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Minor League Transactions for Dec. 5-15.

The Reds' trade with the Orioles as well as the Rule 5 selections of RHRs Henry Arias (Twins) and Terrell Young (Nationals) are covered.

Kansas City Royals
    Rule 5 selections: RHP Russell Haltiwanger (Cardinals, AAA)

Haltiwanger, 25 in April, was the Reds' 29th-round pick in 2005 out of Newberry College (SC), pitched primarily at Dayton in 2006 before heading off to Kansas City in a trade for none other than Jeff Keppinger. He labored at High-A Wilmington in the Royals system in 2007 and 2008, posting ERAs of 3.92 and 3.83 while walking four and a half men per nine innings and striking out just north of six.

Milwaukee Brewers
    Signed: RHP Brian Reith

Yup, still bouncing around. The Brewers are his fifth organization. Reith pitched in the independent Atlantic League in both 2007 and 2008, finally earning the deal back into OB after whiffing 85 and saving 16 in 80 innings for the Somerset Patriots. He'll be 31 for Spring Training as he attempts to round his career major league line of 4-12, 5.92 into shape.

Toronto Blue Jays
    Signed: RHP Matt Clement

Clement, such a solid starter for most of the second half of the 90s and the first half of the aughts, has never been the same since he was hit by a Carl Crawford line drive in 2005 while pitching for the Boston Red Sox. Washing out of the Boston organization after posting a 6.61 ERA in 2006, he missed all of 2007 after arm surgery and struggled to return to form in the St. Louis system last year.

As stated in other threads, the Reds have signed Aaron Fultz, Wes Bankston, and Laynce Nix. Also, the Reds released Yuber Rodriguez, which is a little surprising because the Reds have so little depth in the outfield, but his numbers made the transaction very understandable.

As a member of the Blue Jays organization, Rodriguez batted .309/.379/.502 as a 20-year-old in his repeat of the Appalachian League in 2004. But it proved to be a fleeting glimpse of his five-tool talent, as he proceeded to hit .220/.300/.311 in three seasons in low Class A. Rodriguez, a native of Venezuela, signed with the Reds as a minor league free agent prior to the 2008 season.
    In ex-Red news:
    The Baltimore Orioles signed Chad "Ryan Jorgensen was already taken" Moeller.
    The Chicago White Sox signed Brad "What the hell did you see in Henry Arias?" Salmon.
    The Kansas City Royals re-signed Luke "I'll give it one more shot before I retire" Hudson.
    The Philadelphia Phillies signed Justin "I'm the reason the Korean league folded" Lehr.
    The Pittsburgh Pirates signed Andy "the Reds put me on and take me off waivers at every opportunity in 2008" Phillips.
    The Tampa Bay Rays signed Ray "I wish we could have a second designated hitter" Olmedo.
    The Washington Nationals signed Corey "keep the bases empty" Patterson.

Turn Off Ads?