Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Minor League FA Signings- 2008-09 Offseason

Re: Minor League FA Signings- 2008-09 Offseason

Darnell Mcdonald, Laynce Nix, Drew Stubbs, Drew T. Anderson, Norris Hopper, Jacque Jones, Shaun Cumberland, and Michael Griffen, and Johnny Gomes should all be at least at AAA, and now Greenberg... Too many outfielders

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by phantomo88 View Post
    Darnell Mcdonald, Laynce Nix, Drew Stubbs, Drew T. Anderson, Norris Hopper, Jacque Jones, Shaun Cumberland, and Michael Griffen, and Johnny Gomes should all be at least at AAA, and now Greenberg... Too many outfielders
    I expect Gomes and Jones to be in Cincinnati.

They might be a little short on outfielders in Double-A and that probably played into the signing of Greenberg. You have Heisey and Henry as starters. Cumberland might get bumped back. Szymanski might be a fourth outfielder. If there is an injury, well, that's why you have guys like Greenberg in camp. That's all assuming that they don't move Frazier to the outfield.

It will be very interesting to see what they do with the Louisville outfield. The other name on the list would be Dorn. If Jones and Gomes stick with the Reds, then the Triple-A outfield would feature Stubbs, Dorn, McDonald, Nix, and probably either Hopper or Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    It will be very interesting to see what they do with the Louisville outfield. The other name on the list would be Dorn. If Jones and Gomes stick with the Reds, then the Triple-A outfield would feature Stubbs, Dorn, McDonald, Nix, and probably either Hopper or Anderson.
    Guys like Anderson and McDonald are just organizational filler. Hopper probably even fits that bill. I would expect Stubbs, Dorn, and either Nix or Cumberland to get the bulk of the time in the Louisville OF.

I'm guessing Dorn in LF, Stubbs in CF, Cumberland in RF, with Nix or Hopper as AAA insurance (with the other released) as a rotating OF and DH. That screws MacDonald, IMO.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    That screws MacDonald, IMO.
    I don't think the Reds are all that concerned about that. Nor should they be.

It's just a guess, but I kind of think Dorn will start in AA. Redsof72..... there was talk about moving Henry to IF. Putting him at 2b in AA wold make a lot of sense. You heard anything more about that?
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomo88 View Post
    Gomes gives them a RH bat with pop and a nice platoon option. I think he makes the Opening day roster.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    It's just a guess, but I kind of think Dorn will start in AA.
    He has nothing left to prove there but I guess it wouldn't surprise me if the Reds do that.

Cincinnati Reds
    Released: C Humberto Cota
    Placed on restricted list: RHP Randall Linebaugh, RHP Brandon Rice, LHP Tyler Pelland, C Ryan Jorgensen, OF B.J. Szymanski
    Optioned to Triple-A: RHP Carlos Fisher, RHP Sam LeCure, RHP Robert Manuel, LHP Matt Maloney, C Craig Tatum
    Optioned to Double-A: 3B Juan Francisco

The lefthanded-hitting Francisco, 21, heads to Double-A with a monster winter ball campaign in his back pocket. He batted .360/.419/.665 with 12 home runs and 37 RBIs in 40 Dominican League games, all while showing a level of selectivity (12 walks, 34 strikeouts) that seemed absolutely foreign. (He walked just 19 times in 127 regular-season games.) Playing in power-suppressing leagues really makes Francisco’s resume sing—he topped the Midwest League with 25 home runs in 2007 and followed that up by leading the Florida State League with 62 extra-base hits last year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...2820#more-2820
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I guess the rumor about Pelland retiring has a little merit to it. I'm hoping time off helps him heal and he gets healthy enough to give it another go.
    Suck it up cupcake.

What's the deal with Brandon Rice?

I have been hearing about this guy for 2-3 seasons now and he hasn't done anything

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    What's the deal with Brandon Rice?

I have been hearing about this guy for 2-3 seasons now and he hasn't done anything
    He had a lot of polish coming out of high school, but he never figured out a way to miss bats. I think he's a 'project' pick that never worked out, so I'd imagine he's taking time away from baseball.

Cincinnati Reds
    Released: RHP Rafael Ceballos, RHP Juan Rafael, RHP Efrain Rodriguez, RHP Jeremy Vinyard, RHP Dan Zeffiro, LHP Jamie Arneson, LHP Aaron Fultz, C Todd Waller, 1B Mike McKennon, 1B Daryle Ward, 2B Darrick Hale
    Traded: 2B Drew Anderson to Rays for future considerations
    Optioned to Triple-A: RHP Ramon Ramirez, 2B Danny Richar

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...3011#more-3011
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Released: RHP Rafael Ceballos, RHP Juan Rafael, RHP Efrain Rodriguez, RHP Jeremy Vinyard, RHP Dan Zeffiro, LHP Jamie Arneson, LHP Aaron Fultz, C Todd Waller, 1B Mike McKennon, 1B Daryle Ward, 2B Darrick Hale
    A lot of those guys shouldn't have any trouble at all catching on with other teams.

Rafael Ceballos - disastrous in the GCL
    Juan Rafael - good peripherals; can he get advanced hitters out?
    Efrain Rodriguez - good control for his age but doesn't miss bats
    Jeremy Vinyard - too raw
    Dan Zeffiro - needs to develop better stuff
    Jamie Arneson - good potential but way too wild; $245,000 signing bonus means he might be the most expensive draft bust of the Krivsky era
    Aaron Fultz - decent track record but past his prime
    Todd Waller - no stick
    Mike McKennon - good power, but rest of his game isn't good enough
    Daryl Ward - severely lacking in versatility
    Darrick Hale - can hold his own but has very little projection

Turn Off Ads?