Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is there anyway to fix Casey?

M2 and I agree? It's a sign of the apocalypse
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Just make sure to stock up on those canned goods (me, I'm going over to the nearby Army food labs and getting a case of MREs).

Then again, classically speaking, Sean Casey is the one thing you and I have pretty seen eye-to-eye on.

Originally posted by M2
    (heck, there was a taker for Dmitri Young).
    This one was baffling to me when it happened and is even more so now. Why the Tigers signed Dmitri to such a contract, with Simon there, Munson on the way, and THEN got Pena is beyond me. Throw in Fick and Higginson and you have an early '02 Reds-style 1B/OF glut, less the talent! At least they have the DH position to include as a possible home for those guys. I will never be too down on the Reds after seeing the Tigers "braintrust" in action.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Originally posted by JaxRed
    No, you don't let them ALL go. They pick and choose and keep a couple like Dunn and Kearns, and let the Pokeys, Dmitri's, Neagle's, etc. go.
    I don't consider ANY of them "prime talent". Do you? Pokey's the only one who even comes close... defensively, and I think we all know that he was traded because he didn't want to be here.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

What would you consider Dunn and Kearns? IMO, they are two of the best young hitters in the game.

Originally posted by TeamBoone

I don't consider ANY of them "prime talent". Do you? Pokey's the only one who even comes close... defensively, and I think we all know that he was traded because he didn't want to be here.

I'm sorry; I wasn't even close to being clear.

I meant the ones the Reds let go (Reese, Young, Neagle)... not Kearns and Dunn!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

The Rockies will let us have Neagle back! They've been trying to dump his 9 Mil/yr salary all year! And yet there were those who nailed this management when we refused to resign him. A good move on our part, or we'd be griping about his and Lark's salary! (LOL)

Sean Casey will be given the chance to redeem himself in 2003, and he should be afforded that opportunity. You cannot fault a player for injury.

Besides, Enron stock is alot higher right now than his! So it is a mote point about discussing getting rid of him. I don't think there are any takers at this point. But maybe there wil be if he can rebound next year.

I'm a firm believer that no one can be labelled as "untouchable" if a move can improve a team.

Originally posted by GAC

Sean Casey will be given the chance to redeem himself in 2003, and he should be afforded that opportunity. You cannot fault a player for injury.
    Well, it depends on the injury, doesn't it? If a player is popping wheelies on a motorcycle *cough*Jeff Kent*cough* and breaks his arm, then you can probably fault him. No one has said exactly HOW Casey hurt his shoulder. Maybe he taught Dunn so well how to hug, that the big guy put a hurtin' on him.

Besides, Enron stock is alot higher right now than his! So it is a mote point about discussing getting rid of him. I don't think there are any takers at this point. But maybe there wil be if he can rebound next year.

I actually think that the Braves might deal for him, though it would be for a couple of minor league players. When Julio Franco is your primary 1B, it's time to start looking for alternatives.

The Braves are about the only team who'd consider Casey, imo, who would also give us at least a decent prospect but they'd have to be convinced he was truly healthy again. The Reds would probably have to eat part of his contract if his shoulder acted up again and I don't see the Reds doing that. Since the Braves are also holding the line salary wise, I'd expect a trade to be a prospect and some overpriced Atlanta flop to even that out. Either way we'd be no better for the dollars/production argument.

Our best bet may be to hope he comes back healthy and puts up vintage numbers - .320/15-20 hrs. Then, at next year's deadline we get some real interest from the Pirates again, as well as Atlanta and perhaps others. Yes, I'd trade him if we did because I agree with M2 and Jax, Casey's production is unlikely to ever again warrant the dollars he's earning in a small market. Healthy, he'd be a great player for a big market team - decent production, great PR stuff, big but not mega dollars. That would fit nicely where 8 million a year doesn't tie up too much of your payroll potential. NY/NY, LA, Atlanta, Boston, Seattle. Atlanta is the only one of them I see with a need at first base, though.

Casey is a perfect example of the danger of LTCs. Its a guessing game - and Jimbo has guessed wrong in this Case. Junior is already a LTC, and right about now the only guys I'd want on a LTC would be Dunn and Kearns and I'd wait til each completed his third season, at least. Sign the wrong guy to a LTC and you create an untradeable player if he gets hurt or quits producing. The Reds are certainly not the only team with that problem!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Originally posted by Raisor
    No one has said exactly HOW Casey hurt his shoulder.
    Phil, Casey himself said he hurt it swinging at a pitch, either in April or May (I thought he said ST). So his previously declining production was not due to this particular injury.

Originally posted by malcontent

Phil, Casey himself said he hurt it swinging at a pitch, either in April or May (I thought he said ST). So his previously declining production was not due to this particular injury.

Are we sure he didn't do it while kissing babies and glad-handing constituants.

PSR

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Originally posted by Raisor
    Are we sure he didn't do it while kissing babies and glad-handing constituants.
    PSR

Point well taken. The life of a Mayor can't be the breeze most people seem to think it is.

Maybe Barry B. realized that long ago and has wisely avoided autographing and post-victory hugging-related injury.

Turn Off Ads?