Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyway to fix Casey?

Red Ball Express
    Malcontent,

I agree that Casey needs to produce better power numbers. But I just think we need to throw this year's stats out the window altogether.

I think a healthy Casey could hit 25 hrs and drive in 100 runs most seasons.

Since he's signed through 2004 and given the axiom that you never trade a player when his value is down, I doubt he's going anywhere so we'll just have to see how the new park treats him next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Red Ball: Anything's possible. Did you see that interview with the Pittsburgh reporter? The guy aksed Casey how many taters he'd hit if he were a Pi-rat playing at their new ballpark (PNC?).

Casey: Here? Hah. 20. Maybe 25.

Seems he believes he could get back to his career high. But maybe even he doesn't believe he'll ever improve on 1999. And if he doesn't see it, then that is certainly going to end up being his career year.

i honestly dont think SC can slug 25hr again...15-18 i would think

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    I agree, ramp. It took him almost 600 AB to hit 25 in 1999. He'll be lucky to ever get that many AB in one year again. Even if he did (get the AB), he'd have to do a 180 on a 3-year trend that's left him a J.T. Snow clone (minus the glove).

Red Ball Express
    Malcontent/Ramp,

Logic and recent history suggest you have a better argument than I do, but I really believe that Casey is a winner who will rise to the occasion before being consigned to the scrap heap.

Obviously, we'll not find out anytime soon, but I'm going to maintain my faith in Casey for at least another season.

Originally posted by Red Ball Express
    Malcontent/Ramp,

Logic and recent history suggest you have a better argument than I do, but I really believe that Casey is a winner who will rise to the occasion before being consigned to the scrap heap.

Obviously, we'll not find out anytime soon, but I'm going to maintain my faith in Casey for at least another season.
    Unfortunatly, Casey hasn't only lost power since 99, he's not getting on base nearly as much.

In fact, he's been losing ground in nearly every offensive catagory since 99.

OBP
    99-399
    00-385
    01-369
    02-338

SLG
    99-539
    00-517
    01-458
    02-368

Ab/HR
    99-23.8
    00-24
    01-41
    02-69.8

BB
    99-61
    00-52
    01-43
    02-43

2B
    99-42
    00-33
    01-40
    02-25

and for those of you that like the stat:
    Batting Average
    99-.332
    00-.315
    01-.310
    02-.265

PSR

casey is a winner you say?

then make him manager

he has no power left so he is worthless

Here's an idea to fix Casey, trade him to the Marlins.

It's getting harder and harder to see Casey's upside after 3 down years since his great '99 season, but i still believe in the big lug. Baby kissing aside, he is still a gamer who puts it all on the line, and has come up big in the clutch when healthy. My prediction is that Casey will rebound very nicely after resting/repairing his bum shoulder this offseason to the tune of .315 20hrs 40 2b's and 110rbis hitting in the sixth spot of a potentially formidable offense. Add a healthy Jr and his 40+hr bat, continued improvement from Dunn and Kearns, a full season of the 2nd half Aaron Boone, along with an improved pitching staff, and this team could be considered a division favorite for 2003.
    "Haven't you ever loved something that much?"

I have always liked Casey, and I'm hoping he will rebound, but I will say this. The Casey detractors have a strong argument. It's looking more and more to me like Jr. is going to end up at first base, and in my opinion, sooner rather than later.

Originally posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I have always liked Casey, and I'm hoping he will rebound, but .
    Oh I do too. The Reds need the offense that 99 Casey produced.

PSR

Originally posted by red-in-la
    Here's an idea to fix Casey, trade him to the Marlins.

Back to the Esasky reference earlier in this thread...

Nick's bust-out year was with the Red Sox, not Atlanta. He cashed in his monster year with Boston & came to Atlanta, only to come down with vertigo...

Thanks for the clarification 15fan. I suggested the Reds trade Casey to Atlanta, not that the Reds traded Esasky to Atlanta....but I can see how it could be confusing (the way I said it).

I referenced Atanta because of the past Casey to Atlanta rumors and because Nick Esasky was supposed to make the Reds regret giving up on him when he arrived at the "launching pad."

Point is, some traded end up like Paul O'Niell, but MOST trades end up as losers for the other team.

gotcha, rila.

The only reason I know the difference is that some of the local die-hards still bring up Nick's name from time to time.

(usually, it's along the lines of "*$&%*% Nick Esasky...")

Of course, I never chuckle and mention that Nick was at least a decent player for the Reds...

Turn Off Ads?