Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russell Martin trade proposal

Russell Martin trade proposal

Now is the time to take Russell Martin off the Dodgers hands since they are disappointed in him. Currently they are in a unique position to make a run at both C.C. Sabathia and Manny Ramirez. My proposal is to obtain both Russell Martin and Andruw Jones with his bad contract. This would free up the large sum of the money needed to give Sabathia and Ramirez the excessive contracts they demand. What would it take to get this deal done? Brandon Phillips would be the logical choice as a centerpiece, but could it be done with a package built around Encarnacion? This would allow the Dodgers to move DeWitt to second, and the Reds could then move Alex Gonzalez to 3B.

Reds send: Edwin Encarnacion, Homer Bailey, Drew Stubbs, Ryan Freel.
    Dodgers send: Russell Martin and Andruw Jones

To add one more impact bat, I would like to see the Reds pursue Raul Ibanez.

LF. Raul Ibanez/ Chris Dickerson
    C. Russell Martin
    1B. Joey Votto
    SS. Brandon Phillips
    RF. Jay Bruce
    CF. Andruw Jones
    2B. Jeff Keppinger
    3B. Alex Gonzalez/ Paul Janish

Other possibilities:
    2B. Brandon Phillips
    3B. Alex Gonzalez
    SS. Khalil Greene/Paul Janish

2B. Orlando Hudson
    SS. Brandon Phillips

2B. Brandon Phillips
    SS. Orlando Cabrera
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose.

-Pete Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Russell Martin trade proposal

If you still have Gonzalez starting as a 3B, I don't see the purpose of moving Phillips to SS. Gonzalez has been a good fielding SS when healthy. Just leave Phillips at 2B and put Keppinger or someone else at 3B.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Now is the time to take Russell Martin off the Dodgers hands since they are disappointed in him. Currently they are in a unique position to make a run at both C.C. Sabathia and Manny Ramirez. My proposal is to obtain both Russell Martin and Andruw Jones with his bad contract. This would free up the large sum of the money needed to give Sabathia and Ramirez the excessive contracts they demand. What would it take to get this deal done? Brandon Phillips would be the logical choice as a centerpiece, but could it be done with a package built around Encarnacion? This would allow the Dodgers to move DeWitt to second, and the Reds could then move Alex Gonzalez to 3B.

Reds send: Edwin Encarnacion, Homer Bailey, Drew Stubbs, Ryan Freel.
    Dodgers send: Russell Martin and Andruw Jones

To add one more impact bat, I would like to see the Reds pursue Raul Ibanez.

LF. Raul Ibanez/ Chris Dickerson
    C. Russell Martin
    1B. Joey Votto
    SS. Brandon Phillips
    RF. Jay Bruce
    CF. Andruw Jones
    2B. Jeff Keppinger

Other possibilities:
    2B. Brandon Phillips
    3B. Alex Gonzalez
    SS. Khalil Greene/Paul Janish

2B. Orlando Hudson
    SS. Brandon Phillips

2B. Brandon Phillips
    SS. Orlando Cabrera
    Good trade, but no need to include Stubbs if we take Jones off their hands. That should be worth one less player going there way. If we take Jones off their hands, we basically are paying $16M for a 25th man on the roster. He should play as little as possible.

Martin isnt going anywhere If you think he is your smoking crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones1 View Post
    Martin isnt going anywhere If you think he is your smoking crack.
    I think there is a real chance Martin could be traded. The Dodgers would have to be either floored by a trade proposal or a team would have to eat some unwanted contracts. But with the needs for catcher I think we could see a team make a huge push to get Martin.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

There is no doubt that the dodgers want to get rid of Jones's contract, especially if they want to sign Manny and go after another starter like sabathia. Jones would cost about 17 million in 2009 and could bounce back and have a decent year, even though i doubt it. I think that taking on Jones's salary would be enough to entice the Dodgers to trade Martin and I think the reds should offer enough prospects to make the deal happen.
    Last edited by Emin3mShady07; 11-05-2008 at 12:14 PM.

There is no way the Reds should trade for Andruw Jones. The guy batted .150 last year. That is after a year he barely batted over .200. Defensively Hannigan is as good as Martin right now. Hannigan batted .271 vs. .280 for Martin. Hannigan can be as good or better than Martin. No thanks.

Sounds far fetched but if Martin could be had, that takes the pressure off finding more offense at SS and LF. Could put Janish at SS and not worry about his offense then. Not too many teams could match a defense up the middle of Janish, Phillips and Dickerson in center. And moving Gonzo to 3b (since his range may be limited now) really could lock down the infield defense. If there is also a way to get Magglio for LF I think we'd have ourselves a contender. Probably dreaming on Martin though.

Uh, if you're considering taking on Jones contract of $16 million.........uh, why not just sign Manny for $20 million?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Uh, if you're considering taking on Jones contract of $16 million.........uh, why not just sign Manny for $20 million?
    Because Jones's contract comes off of the books at the end of 2009 and it looks unlikely that Manny will sign a deal any shorter than 4 years

If you find yourself putting together a trade with a lot of players you dont want chances are the other side won't want them either. Honestly if I'm LA I wouldnt do all those guys for Martin by himself.

ChatterRed, also brought up a good point....if your willing to pay Jones that why not go spend it on a free agent?

ya, that trade might work in OOTP on average difficulty

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    If you find yourself putting together a trade with a lot of players you dont want chances are the other side won't want them either. Honestly if I'm LA I wouldnt do all those guys for Martin by himself.

ChatterRed, also brought up a good point....if your willing to pay Jones that why not go spend it on a free agent?

ya, that trade might work in OOTP on average difficulty
    I think you may be missing his point.....I'm not saying the Dodgers would do the trade but adding A.Jones and his 16mil would make them more likely to do the trade than if it was just for Martin.

No i get the point but giving up Martin just to dump Jones isnt very smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    No i get the point but giving up Martin just to dump Jones isnt very smart.
    Yeah, but we are talking about the Dodgers, who signed both Jones and Pierre, and Schmidt and Wolf and....

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Andruw Jones? Why not just pay Corey Patterson $16mil?

Turn Off Ads?