Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rotoworld has the Reds

Rotoworld has the Reds

signing Brandon Looper for 3 years and in the mix for Oliver Perez and Jon Garland. Looper? what do you all think?
    Baseball is life

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Re: Rotoworld has the Reds

I think I hope its Braden Looper
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

He would be an upgrade in the 5th spot from last year, Although I don't think he would fit in at GABP. I would rather save the money and let one of the younger guys go for the 5th spot.

Now Oliver Perez would be a different story.

Edit:
    Actually he has some ok flyball/groundball splits so he could probably be OK at GABP.

Would be a nice 5th starter but nothing to get excited about.
    Last edited by schmidty622; 11-12-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Please no. Don't waste the money. I wouldn't sign this dude unless it's the end of ST and I'm desperate. Especially to anything longterm. What has he really done?

Without Duncan, this guy belongs on the scrap heap, as he will soon find out. And pitching half his games at GAB, let's get ready for a 5+ era.

If we don't sign a type A starter, then please wait till ST to see what Homer and Owings can do.

It is from Rotoworld. enough said.

Yeh, I don't see the need to shelling out $$$ for someone like Looper. I think we have enough in house that is actually more suited for the #5 job. Owings, Ramirez & Homer give us 3 decent options as the 5th man. Unless the $$$ was going towards a top of the line starter then I say use it towards some bats or BP help (if Affeldt, Lincoln, Weathers are gone).

My God no. Old, somewhat pricey, he doesn't fit out needs. Send 7 million a season elsewhere.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Stay put with what we have now and try to get better next season.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Please no. Don't waste the money. I wouldn't sign this dude unless it's the end of ST and I'm desperate. Especially to anything longterm. What has he really done?

Without Duncan, this guy belongs on the scrap heap, as he will soon find out. And pitching half his games at GAB, let's get ready for a 5+ era.

If we don't sign a type A starter, then please wait till ST to see what Homer and Owings can do.

I don't agree. Only once in his 11 year career has he ever posted an ERA over 5 and that was his first year. 7 times he has had an ERA for the season under 4. Granted he has only been a starter for the past two years.

I agree that I wouldn't pay him nearly anything, but if we were to bring him in near the beginning of ST like we did with Affeldt I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I like this deal if we get a strong middle-of-the-order bat. If you want to make a run in 2009, you need somebody more dependable than Owings and Ramirez as a 5th starter, especially with questions surrounding Harang.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 11-12-2008 at 08:10 PM.

God No

He didn't even have a winning record with the Cardinals

He will get blown up here

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I like this deal if we get a strong middle-of-the-order bat. If you want to make a run in 2009, you need somebody more dependable than Owings and Ramirez as a 5th starter, especially with questions surrounding Harang.
    I think you just stated Jocketty's game plan for the offseason. Go get a big bat in the middle, and if that happens, then fill in the other holes, like 5th starter, SS, CF and C, probably in that order.
    You are 100% correct. Without a big bat, all other moves are just folly.

Looper is actually the perfect 5th starter to add. Not too expensive, but definitely reliable enough for the back of the rotation.
    The Reds last year spent $5M on Fogg and Patterson. Which is a bigger waste? That or $5-7M on Looper?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    God No

He didn't even have a winning record with the Cardinals

He will get blown up here
    And Peavy didn't have a winning record so he must be garbage too but I guess you could make the argument that St. Louis had a better offense, on the whole, everyone knows W-L is a pretty crappy stat to judge a pitcher by. Looper wouldn't be a terrible option. Judging from his stats from the last three years I see him posting an ERA of around 4.5 which is great for a #5, but the main thing is that I think we could get that from the in house options we have already and we wouldn't have to pay a decent sized contract to Looper. Obviously, Looper is more of a "proven" commodity meaning I believe that he is going to produce decent numbers and be fairly consistent, but the younger guys have a higher upside than Looper. the only trade off is that there is no guarantee that these guys reach their potentials and the 5th spot in the rotation next year is a duplicate of what it was this year. On the same token, Looper has never been dominant and may have a bad season anyways. all things considered, I think the reds can get more bang for their buck by taking a pass on Looper and letting the young guys develop

Turn Off Ads?