Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Espn BA Chat

Re: Espn BA Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Have you seen his fastball?

All this analysis of prospects sometimes misses the point that many of the candidates don't have the physical talent to be probable top players. There are some highly rated in the RedsZone list who are skilled players, someday may be reasonable major leaguers, but don't have outstanding physical talent.

Roenicke needs polish, needs to use his secondary pitches better, etc., etc., etc.

But he is a big reliever who can throw the ball through a brick wall and also has ground ball tendencies.

Of course he should be on any list of the Reds top prospects. Even at 26 years old.
    I wasn't saying he shouldn't be on the list. OBM said that Ramirez would likely be left off the list primarily due to being 26 years old while Roenicke would probably be on it. I was merely pointing out that the two are the same age.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Someone (can't remember who) on BP really likes Ramirez but I'm not sure how Goldstein feels about him. I doubt if he cracks the top 11 since he just turned 26.
    He should be in the top 11, in my opinion. He showed he was ready to hit the ground running.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I wasn't saying he shouldn't be on the list. OBM said that Ramirez would likely be left off the list primarily due to being 26 years old while Roenicke would probably be on it. I was merely pointing out that the two are the same age.
    Up until this year, I wasn't that high on Ramirez and I didn't think the Reds were very high on him. It looked as if they had given up on him as a starter and I had always heard that he was lacked projection.

But he certainly has held up well in the upper levels. Just shows you that sometimes a prospect needs some time to mature. In Ramirez' case, the Reds deserve credit for sticking with him and giving him a major league shot at age 26.

I certainly would rather have Ramirez on the Reds next year, in some role, as compared to Fogg, Belisle, Majewski, and perhaps other pitchers the Reds had this year.

Roenicke is 26 as well. I know he was converted to pitching late but he is still 26 years old.
    Very good point. Ramirez just may crack the top 11 after all. He's definitely worthy of it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Very good point. Ramirez just may crack the top 11 after all. He's definitely worthy of it IMO.
    It would be a tough call for me between the two. What's more valuable, a 4/5 starter or a late-inning reliever?

I think I would take 200 IP of 4.00 ERA over 60 IP of 2.50 ERA. It's really a toss up for me between Ramirez and Roenicke. I chose Roenicke ahead of RR in my top 40 prospect list, but I may re-think that.

200 IP of 4.0 ERA makes him a #3 though. That definitely changes the comparison because I've always been told his ceiling is a 4/5.

I like that Ramirez has the versatility to become a 4th/5th starter, and if that doesn't work out, there is still a good chance he could be a more effective reliever than Roenicke...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I think I would take 200 IP of 4.00 ERA over 60 IP of 2.50 ERA. It's really a toss up for me between Ramirez and Roenicke. I chose Roenicke ahead of RR in my top 40 prospect list, but I may re-think that.
    Please explain why you think Ramirez can hold up for 200 innings of major league ball at a 4 ERA. He threw 145 innings at three levels last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Please explain why you think Ramirez can hold up for 200 innings of major league ball at a 4 ERA. He threw 145 innings at three levels last year.
    Wasn't he reliever for part of that time though? Plus I don't think OBM specifically meant 2009. We were talking potential of prospects...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Wasn't he reliever for part of that time though? Plus I don't think OBM specifically meant 2009. We were talking potential of prospects...
    Yep. I wasn't really talking specifically about Ramirez and Roenicke. I'm just saying I would rather have a solid starter (200 IP at 4.00 ERA) over a great reliever (60 IP, 2.50 ERA) most of the time. As for Ramirez's ceiling, right now I think he could be a solid starter (170 IP at 4.40 to 4.50 ERA) but that could change if he improves his slider.

Soto winding up at 1B? Is Callis the only one saying that or is that projection more prevalent than I think it is?
    Soto played first base in Dayton and during the Instructional League this year

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Soto played first base in Dayton and during the Instructional League this year
    Soto played 52 games with Dayton and played a total of two games at first base.

Seemed like more than that

He was there a lot during BP though

Turn Off Ads?