Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Montero's name mentioned...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Miguel Montero's name mentioned...

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/130251

As the Diamondbacks conduct their due diligence this offseason, they have found significant interest in reserve catcher Miguel Montero.

“That’s a pretty popular name,” a major league source said.

While the D-Backs would prefer to keep Montero because of his offensive productivity and his affordability, his marketability seems to make him the most likely trading piece to address their hole at second base.

The D-Backs now appear more likely to trade for a second baseman to replace free agent Orlando Hudson after sources indicated that veterans such as free agent Mark Loretta or possible trade piece Adam Kennedy are too pricey.

Because Chris Snyder has cemented himself as the starter at catcher, Montero could be considered expendable.

Boston could be in the market for a catcher if free agent Jason Varitek goes elsewhere, and Detroit, Cincinnati, Houston and perhaps Milwaukee also might have interest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Miguel Montero's name mentioned...

I don't see any players other than Montero on their roster that fit our needs if we tried to swap them Phillips...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I don't see any players other than Montero on their roster that fit our needs if we tried to swap them Phillips...
    Conor Jackson interests me... decent 1b or LF option, decent RH bat

I'd rather stick with the other Arizona catcher we already acquired, Wilkin Castillo.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'd rather stick with the other Arizona catcher we already acquired, Wilkin Castillo.
    Maybe the question is whether the Reds preferred Castillo to Montero or were the Dbacks thinking that they weren't getting enough in the rental of Dunn to justify putting Montero into the deal instead of Castillo.

Hmmm, interesting........

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Conor Jackson interests me... decent 1b or LF option, decent RH bat
    I think they want to add offense, not give it away...

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Maybe the question is whether the Reds preferred Castillo to Montero or were the Dbacks thinking that they weren't getting enough in the rental of Dunn to justify putting Montero into the deal instead of Castillo.

Rem
    I'll also take Castillo over Montero.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think they want to add offense, not give it away...
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=ari

Yeah, but he's kinda a man without a position right now, though...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'll also take Castillo over Montero.
    Castilllo, AAA, age 24: .254/.305/.358
    Montero, MLB, age 24: .255/.330/.435

Montero would be a good guy to get, and no way did the Reds prefer Castillo to him. You've got to figure he can be had given that Snyder's ensconced at the #1 over there. It's really a question of what they want for him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I wonder if Ryan Freel interests them. We could also find out if Walt likes Keppinger enough to not trade him here. If they are looking at Loretta, Kep would fit the bill.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I wonder if Ryan Freel interests them. We could also find out if Walt likes Keppinger enough to not trade him here. If they are looking at Loretta, Kep would fit the bill.
    Kepp would be cost effective for them, question is what else would we have to send? Keppinger wouldn't be enough I'm sure if he even fits the bill and on second thought I doubt he is, Montero is probably not coming here. I wonder if the Marlins Bonafacio to the D-Backs for Montero wouldn't be almost perfect for each of those clubs. Too bad Justin Turner wasn't at least a level higher, him+ another low level piece might be enough to pull it off.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Send 'em Kepp if they are interested and add a young pitcher or two. AZ needs to restock after the Haren deal and need starter candidates as well as 2B with Johnson likely gone. The D-Backs need cheap. Kepp, Thompson and Lecure for Monetero would be a good deal for both teams. Montero/Hanigan could be the Reds catching combo for the next 4 or 5 years and they would comprise one of the top 5 or 6 catching situations in the NL behind only Chicago, LA, Atlanta, Colorado and possibly St. Louis if they keep Anderson to pair with Molina.

Montero, Hanigan, Castillo succeeding Bako, Ross, Javy might be the single biggest upgrade of a position from one year to the next in the majors and no one would even notice. Of course, just going with Hanigan and Castillo instead of those three would also be a huge upgrade, but Montero as the LH half and primary starter is a huge upgrade over Castillo or having Hanigan play against RH pitching.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post

Rem
    Montero was their regular backup catcher last season. There was almost no way they would have put him in an August trade for practical reasons, and probably no way they could have. He wouldn't have cleared waivers, and couldn't be a PTBNL.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Montero would be a good guy to get, and no way did the Reds prefer Castillo to him. You've got to figure he can be had given that Snyder's ensconced at the #1 over there. It's really a question of what they want for him.
    Yeah, he is expendable, but with the dearth of catching in MLB I think they can hold out for a good offer. The article mentions trying to fill the hole they have at second. Montero+ for Phillips? Depends on what the plus is, but it's something I'd look into. The Reds can fill 2B from in-house with a Richar/Keppinger platoon, which would be less of a dropoff than most would initially think.

Turn Off Ads?