Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Hoops

Re: Hoosier Hoops

Even turning the ball over 21 times IU still could have been in that game, but you can't go 12-27 from the free throw line and expect to win. Even shooting that bad from the line they still might have had a chance if they shot better than 3-15 from the 3 pt line.

Talen wise I think they are a better team than they showed last night. Take care of the ball a little and hit free throws and they have a good shot to win that game. But they're young and it's still early in the season.

I know that I was talking up Rivers, but I keep thinking that his high TOs are just a fluke, but that's three games in a row with 4 turnovers. Starting to worry about that.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Even turning the ball over 21 times IU still could have been in that game, but you can't go 12-27 from the free throw line and expect to win. Even shooting that bad from the line they still might have had a chance if they shot better than 3-15 from the 3 pt line. Talen wise I think they are a better team than they showed last night. Take care of the ball a little and hit free throws and they have a good shot to win that game. But they're young and it's still early in the season. I know that I was talking up Rivers, but I keep thinking that his high TOs are just a fluke, but that's three games in a row with 4 turnovers. Starting to worry about that.
    Rivers is a charge waiting to happen. That said, he and Creek were the only 2 that could create much offense last night. Their problems will be defensive. They couldn't guard Ole Miss off the bounce and when they went zone it was o rebound city.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Rivers is a charge waiting to happen. That said, he and Creek were the only 2 that could create much offense last night. Their problems will be defensive. They couldn't guard Ole Miss off the bounce and when they went zone it was o rebound city.
    Rivers has been touted as being an outstanding perimeter defender. So far I haven't seen it. He might be the best they have at the moment but they still struggle quite a bit with their on ball defense.

I haven't posted much, if anything, in this thread, but I'll start out by saying this. I'll consider IU my 2nd favorite team since I've partied there numerous times when in college and I've had numerous friends and both my sisters graduate from there.

The thing I loved about last year's team and this year's team is that the team plays hard. Not only that, you can see Crean coaching even harder on the sidelines. I think with the talent in the state of Indiana and Crean's recruiting efforts, the'll easily be officially "back" next year. They still have a loooooong way to go, but I'm excited for the direction of the program.

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Bob Knight is returning to Indiana after all.

The former Hoosiers coach will speak at a Dec. 17 fundraiser in Indianapolis to benefit the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame.

The event comes less than six weeks after Knight missed a ceremony inducting him into Indiana University's athletics Hall of Fame in Bloomington.

Knight's exclusion from the IU hall had been a contentious issue since then-President Myles Brand fired him in September 2000 for violating a zero-tolerance policy.

Knight said he would not attend the ceremony because he did not want to detract from the other inductees.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Settling in for the Long Haul
    by Matt Dollinger in Commentary | November 23rd, 2009

MY COUCH – The Puerto Rico Tip-Off delivered just as promised.
    But instead of a jump ball, the preseason tournament’s tip-off was more of the insider information variety.

The message was clear, whether you watched the games or the live blog. Despite the influx of talent, IU Basketball might not live up to the hopes some optimists placed on them before the season.

A double-digit win season now seems lofty. A .500 record would likely include a pair of glass slippers and a horse-drawn carriage made out of pumpkin.

Most Hoosier fans are currently mourning this weekend’s activities – and/or coming off a binge necessitated by the Old Oaken Bucket game – but I’m here to tell you that not all was lost in the gyms of San Juan.

My glass usually sits half-empty, but I can say without hesitation that the Hoosiers are a better team right now than they were at this point last season. As someone who had a courtside seat to Tom Crean and the greenest team in Cream and Crimson history all of last year, I can tell the Hoosiers have taken a step in the right direction.

Last season’s December losses to Northeastern and Lipscomb were gut wrenching; this year’s November defeats to Boston and George Mason are closer to stomach-able.

Although, certainly not enjoyable. After handing it to Howard and edging out USC Upstate to open the season, three consecutive losses reminds us just how far the men’s basketball program still has to go on its path to reclamation.

Around this time last year, I was in Hawaii covering the Hoosiers in the Maui Invitational (read: golfing). Before the tournament, IU registered wins over Northwestern State and IUPUI to open the season. No one was calling them world-beaters, but no one was quite anticipating the 38-point shellacking Notre Dame handed them to open the tournament either.

Expectations adjusted and reality hit harder than a Tijan Jobe screen. IU followed the loss with a 26-point defeat to Saint Josephs the next day before outlasting the Chaminade Silverswords in the seventh-place game.

This year, a tropical tournament seems to have weathered IU fans’ hopes once again. A banked 3-pointer and three straight losses will do that to you.

The difference this year is the Hoosiers have showed flashes of promise and talent that just weren’t there last season. Despite their struggles, IU has been competitive in every game this season. Even better, the IU men’s basketball team lost games it should have won this past weekend – when was the last time you could say that?

Crean might not be playing walk-ons and outfielders anymore, but he is still reliant on true freshmen adapting to the college level. In spurts, this year’s team has already displayed the type of offensive ability and defensive prowess that was missing from last year’s 6-25 team.

A difficult upcoming schedule could leave their record indicating otherwise, but the Hoosiers are getting better. They might not pull off the number of upsets some were hoping, but this year’s team will have its moments.

Hoosier fans should settle in for the long haul and be patient with this year’s bunch. There is a reason IU signed Crean to a 10-year contract.

This year’s team would handily beat last year’s – it’s just hard to tell just quite yet whom else they could beat.
    http://www.insidethehall.com/2009/11...aul/#more-4426

More from Crean:

Crean on his rotation: “We’ve got a lot of determinations to make. How do we really want to play? I’m trying to play to many guys right now. But we want to run. Are we going to all out after it and press more? Are we going to shrink the bench? I don’t have a rotation.”

Crean pleased with Capobianco’s play: “We had a real heart-to-heart the other night about him taking the steps. And it was really at a crossroads. He’s got it in him. He’s been very, very serious since our first night. And he always practices hard, but he always doesn’t play with confidence. This is on the plus side, going home to have him step in and play like that. But at the same time, he’s gotta learn to play through the contact. He can’t throw the ball up.”

George Mason is young, but it’s different at Indiana: Crean: “Those guys, when they’re in there young, they’ve got people handing it down. They didn’t have to send off everybody because of drugs and because of academics. All of these programs have had people hand it down. It may not have been great players handing it down, but we don’t have that.”

George Mason is young, but it’s different at Indiana: Crean: “Those guys, when they’re in there young, they’ve got people handing it down. They didn’t have to send off everybody because of drugs and because of academics. All of these programs have had people hand it down. It may not have been great players handing it down, but we don’t have that.”
    which is the Izzo/Crean model. Rather than the coach yelling and enforcing his will all the time they want the upper classmen to lead and set the example for the young guys. Which mean it may be year 4 or 5 until you start to see what Crean is trying to build. There aren't really any shortcuts.

My hope/desire for a .500 season is slowly waning. Still love watching them compete but right now I just don't see 15 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Which mean it may be year 4 or 5 until you start to see what Crean is trying to build. There aren't really any shortcuts.
    We saw just that at UD, with the Izzo/Gregory model. Gregory caught a lot of flack during the growing pain years, there was much doubt amongst the fan base. We are now seeing the results of being patient and letting him build the foundation.

Nice win for the Hoosiers tonight.

While I don't think Pittsburgh is a great team, for IU to go to New York and beat a 6-1 team on national television is enormous.

Yeah, they played better than I thought they were capable of playing. And they still didn't shoot that well. But one thing is for sure: Tom Crean can teach a zone defense.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

And they did it with their leading scorer (Creek) having an off night.

Capobianco and Elston really looked like they'll be able to contribute decent minutes. That was my number one concern and Elston has looked great.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Best I've seen them play, no doubt. One thing is for sure, they are a different squad when Rivers is on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Nice win for the Hoosiers tonight.

While I don't think Pittsburgh is a great team, for IU to go to New York and beat a 6-1 team on national television is enormous.
    very good win. It showed that at least this year the Hoosiers can beat a solid team if they don't give a good effort (last year the opponent just needed to show up).

Turn Off Ads?