Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Hoops

Re: Hoosier Hoops

Not sure what to think about IU. Seemed like maybe they were showing some signs of improvement, but going out to Iowa City and getting spanked by a godawful Iowa squad is a bad sign. I assume Crean could probably lose every game this year and still be okay, but I'm guessing IU fans must be starting to get a bit restless.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A little off topic. Armon Bassett got busted for pot recently in Terre Haute. I love this quote.

Sweattís report stated that Bassett repeatedly said he was ďa basketball star and couldnít get involved in something like this.Ē
    http://tribstar.com/local/x233966566...r-traffic-stop
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Not sure what to think about IU. Seemed like maybe they were showing some signs of improvement, but going out to Iowa City and getting spanked by a godawful Iowa squad is a bad sign. I assume Crean could probably lose every game this year and still be okay, but I'm guessing IU fans must be starting to get a bit restless.
    Words cannot describe how disappointing that Iowa game was for me. I know they had to play without Jones but c'mon. It still should have been at least a competitive game. Getting crushed by the Hawkeyes? Just sad.

Sweattís report stated that Bassett repeatedly said he was ďa basketball star and couldnít get involved in something like this.Ē
    He's a star?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Words cannot describe how disappointing that Iowa game was for me. I know they had to play without Jones but c'mon. It still should have been at least a competitive game. Getting crushed by the Hawkeyes? Just sad.
    Yeah that sucked big time. I honestly thought after the way they played at Wisc they would go into Carver Hawkeye and beat them soundly.

I'm still content to wait to see what Crean can do with some real talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'm still content to wait to see what Crean can do with some real talent.
    You might be but I get the impression a lot of IU fans are not. They better be competitive next season or his seat will get awfully warm IMO. And next year will basically just be this year's squad again plus Zeller. Not sure if he's enough to offset the inconsistency and lack of discipline this team has shown. I really hope it turns next year because I like Crean a lot but I'm not sure I'd bet on it at this point.

You might be but I get the impression a lot of IU fans are not. They better be competitive next season or his seat will get awfully warm IMO. And next year will basically just be this year's squad again plus Zeller. Not sure if he's enough to offset the inconsistency and lack of discipline this team has shown. I really hope it turns next year because I like Crean a lot but I'm not sure I'd bet on it at this point.
    Etherington is also coming next year. He should help a little, but I agree they won't be dramatically better.

But I think that Hulls and Watford will Jrs and Olidepo and Sheehey will Sophs will also make some difference.

I'm not sure that this is Crean's fault perse, but I'm less confident than I was that he'll be successful in pulling IU out of the abyss.

I explore the possibility that the Hoosiers have been Klinglerized in my last blog column;
    http://bit.ly/f9hXPb
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Etherington is also coming next year. He should help a little, but I agree they won't be dramatically better.

But I think that Hulls and Watford will Jrs and Olidepo and Sheehey will Sophs will also make some difference.
    The talent level will get a slight uptick next year. Nothing dramatic but a little improvement. Crean has his work cut out for him.

Zeller is the one I wonder about... the pressure on his shoulders from the FIRST PRACTICE is going to be extremely intense. To many IU fans it seems as though he has become the savior of Hoosier basketball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Zeller is the one I wonder about... the pressure on his shoulders from the FIRST PRACTICE is going to be extremely intense. To many IU fans it seems as though he has become the savior of Hoosier basketball.
    Yeah I could see that. But the thing is the class after his is when the talent will really start to show up. That's the season I have high expectations for, not next year. Next year I will be satisfied with an ncaa berth.

Yeah I could see that. But the thing is the class after his is when the talent will really start to show up. That's the season I have high expectations for, not next year. Next year I will be satisfied with an ncaa berth.
    That sounds reasonable to me.

Just for an FYI, could you give me your projected 2012 starting lineup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    That sounds reasonable to me.

Just for an FYI, could you give me your projected 2012 starting lineup?

My best guess would be:

PG: Yogi Farell(Fr) or Jordan Hulls (Sr)
    SG: Maurice Creek(Sr) or Gary Harris (Fr)*
    SF: Hanner Perea(Fr)
    PF: Cody Zeller (So)
    C : Peter Jurkin(Fr)

So they'll still be young, but much much much more talented.
    * Has not committed, is apparantly deciding between IU and Michigan State.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Fans would have been satisfied with an NIT berth this year but that's looking like a pipe dream. NCAA next season? That's a tough one. Real question is will fans be happy with an NIT bid and not the NCAAs next year? Cause that may be all we get.

Fans would have been satisfied with an NIT berth this year but that's looking like a pipe dream. NCAA next season? That's a tough one. Real question is will fans be happy with an NIT bid and not the NCAAs next year? Cause that may be all we get.
    I'd think so. More than anything I think fans want to see improvement year to year. That's what has made the whole process so frustrating.

Year 1 was expected to be bad. And it was. Year 2 we expected to see improvement, and I think there was some, although it was uneven(beat Pitt, lost to Boston, George Mason, and Loyola) and whatever the improvement, it was interrupted by Creek's knee injury.

This being year 3, I think people expected improvement because 1) Essentially everyone returned, and 2) Creek was supposed to be healthy. But Creek wasn't really healthy and the rest of the team just hasn't clicked.

It's quite possible that we'll see a huge improvement next year from this year.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?