Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Hoops

Re: Hoosier Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Too bad it's a full year away. Well the Ferrell/Perea/Holloway/Harris? class is at least.
    I know but I think Etherington will be better than people think. I watched a lot of video on him last night. I think he'll bulk up quicker than Zeller and he'll make an impact next year. I think next season will be a solid season.

Now it appears that Matt Painter is leaving Purdue for Missouri. I just hope Brad Steven's cell phone is broken until Purdue hires a new coach.

I don't think he'll go. I think he's just trying to get his contract reworked. He's paid pretty low. Mizz is reportedly offering $2M per and I think if Purdue matches it he will stay. It's got to be about money, right? Mizz isn't a step up from Purdue.

I can't imagine him leaving this year after all that Hummel has had to do to come back again.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 03-28-2011 at 11:55 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I know but I think Etherington will be better than people think. I watched a lot of video on him last night. I think he'll bulk up quicker than Zeller and he'll make an impact next year. I think next season will be a solid season.
    I agree, I've been telling everyone who would listen that I think IU makes the NCAA tournament next year.
    http://crimsoncast.com/2011/03/sorry...is-not-enough/

I don't think he'll go. I think he's just trying to get his contract reworked. He's paid pretty low. Mizz is reportedly offering $2M per and I think if Purdue matches it he will stay. It's got to be about money, right? Mizz isn't a step up from Purdue.

I can't imagine him leaving this year after all that Hummel has had to do to come back again.
    I can. 1) Purdue fans are notoriously unsatisfied. Despite the stellar coaching job he did this year, I've heard more than a few complain about him getting out coached by Shaka Smart.(Yeah along with 4 other Hall of Fame coaches)2)I think there's a small part of him that looks at the landscape of the state and realizes it's going to be a long road ahead to get back. Butler has a system in place and has gotten results on the court. IU has the talent coming in, and while not as satisfying as winning on the court, it feels good to be beating Purdue in something.

Add to the fact that unlike 5 years ago, The AD can't lean on the Football program to bring in extra revenue, and will have to seriously be considering the options for a new Football coach, they may not be able to match $2 million.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I agree, I've been telling everyone who would listen that I think IU makes the NCAA tournament next year.

I can. 1) Purdue fans are notoriously unsatisfied. Despite the stellar coaching job he did this year, I've heard more than a few complain about him getting out coached by Shaka Smart.(Yeah along with 4 other Hall of Fame coaches)2)I think there's a small part of him that looks at the landscape of the state and realizes it's going to be a long road ahead to get back. Butler has a system in place and has gotten results on the court. IU has the talent coming in, and while not as satisfying as winning on the court, it feels good to be beating Purdue in something.

Add to the fact that unlike 5 years ago, The AD can't lean on the Football program to bring in extra revenue, and will have to seriously be considering the options for a new Football coach, they may not be able to match $2 million.
    As to (1), I'm a Purdue fan and haven't heard anyone say anything such as what whoever you talked to did. Most Purdue fans are pretty happy with Painter, and honestly I haven't heard one say otherwise. I would be disappointed if he left, but the style of play he coaches is just fun to watch and I will be a fan of Painter wherever he goes. Hopefully, for me at least maybe not you IU fans, that is still at Purdue.

You don't seriously think that Purdue is looking to replace Danny Hope do you?

Painter is a fine coach and Purdue would be stupid to let him go.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post

Another year like last and I think Hope has no hope to being the Purdue head coach. There were mumblings at the end of last year.

The football program has been trending the wrong way the last few years(though I know they've had some rough luck along with it.) They're 4-8,5-7, 4-8 since he came back to campus(the first year Tiller was still the head coach in name.) There isn't a lot of buzz about recruiting, so unless he knows something the rest of the Big Ten doesn't about the kids being recruited, I'm not sure what he'd hang his hat on. The last point about recruiting, maybe he's right and his players are better than the various ratings services have them listed, but they better be. Because not only is the class not particularly highly ranked, it's not particularly local. I just looked at the Rivals database for Purdue recruits, and of the 59 players listed as signed with Purdue in the last 3 years, only 4 were from Indiana. Maybe that's a better recruiting strategy, but in my experience, if you're not going to be recruiting the boosters neighbors kid, you better win. My guess is his seat isn't hot yet, but if they're below .500 this year, that seats going to be plenty toasty.

I agree Painter's a fine coach, but it's not always as simple as "pay the man Shirley." The problem was they didn't pay him more up front, so if Mizzou offers $2 million(allegedly they have) it's harder for Purdue to come back with a $1.5 million contract offer.
    If Purdue had offered $1.5 million to begin with, perhaps he wouldn't have even listened to Mizzou.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

The football program has been trending the wrong way the last few years(though I know they've had some rough luck along with it.) They're 4-8,5-7, 4-8 since he came back to campus(the first year Tiller was still the head coach in name.) There isn't a lot of buzz about recruiting, so unless he knows something the rest of the Big Ten doesn't about the kids being recruited, I'm not sure what he'd hang his hat on. The last point about recruiting, maybe he's right and his players are better than the various ratings services have them listed, but they better be. Because not only is the class not particularly highly ranked, it's not particularly local. I just looked at the Rivals database for Purdue recruits, and of the 59 players listed as signed with Purdue in the last 3 years, only 4 were from Indiana. Maybe that's a better recruiting strategy, but in my experience, if you're not going to be recruiting the boosters neighbors kid, you better win. My guess is his seat isn't hot yet, but if they're below .500 this year, that seats going to be plenty toasty.

I agree Painter's a fine coach, but it's not always as simple as "pay the man Shirley." The problem was they didn't pay him more up front, so if Mizzou offers $2 million(allegedly they have) it's harder for Purdue to come back with a $1.5 million contract offer.
    If Purdue had offered $1.5 million to begin with, perhaps he wouldn't have even listened to Mizzou.
    Any chance Missouri would offer Crean the job so we could hire Brad Stevens?

Any chance Missouri would offer Crean the job so we could hire Brad Stevens?

I'm sure Mizz would love to get Crean, but why would he take it? Why would we want him to take it? We have to at least see what he can do with his big class he has coming in 2012.

As much as I like Stevens I'm not convinced he'd had done a better job with IU the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post

I'm sure Mizz would love to get Crean, but why would he take it? Why would we want him to take it? We have to at least see what he can do with his big class he has coming in 2012.

As much as I like Stevens I'm not convinced he'd had done a better job with IU the last two years.
    Has any IU player improved under Crean? Hulls is about it. I think Crean is a wonderful recruiter but I question his coaching ability. I think with Stevens or Painter as coach this past season IU goes a few games over .500.

Has any IU player improved under Crean? Hulls is about it. I think Crean is a wonderful recruiter but I question his coaching ability. I think with Stevens or Painter as coach this past season IU goes a few games over .500.
    Statistically speaking pretty much all the wings/Guards have.
    (Conference Games Only)
    Watford
    11.83 PPG to 14 PPG
    Hulls
    6.355PPG-11.031PPG
    Even VJ III has seen his points/game go down, but his turnover % has gotten much better.(Which is frightening because it's still not what I'd call good.)

Oladipo and Sheehey were light years ahead of where they started in terms of contribution offensive and defensively from the beginning of the year to the end.
    And as far as getting guys to fit in, I'd argue Rivers and Pritchard had definitely developed into decent role players by the end of this year.

Now the lack of a big man developing tempers my enthusiasm a bit, because Cody Zeller is not going to be ready like Jared Sullinger was this year.

But since I expect most of the conference to take a gigantic step backward next year, I expect IU to finish in the top 5.
    ---Joe Posnanski

HR, so if IU DOESN'T finish in the top 5 of the Big 10 and isn't an NCAA tournament team, what should be done with Crean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Statistically speaking pretty much all the wings/Guards have.
    (Conference Games Only)
    Watford
    11.83 PPG to 14 PPG
    Hulls
    6.355PPG-11.031PPG
    Even VJ III has seen his points/game go down, but his turnover % has gotten much better.(Which is frightening because it's still not what I'd call good.)

Oladipo and Sheehey were light years ahead of where they started in terms of contribution offensive and defensively from the beginning of the year to the end.
    And as far as getting guys to fit in, I'd argue Rivers and Pritchard had definitely developed into decent role players by the end of this year.

Now the lack of a big man developing tempers my enthusiasm a bit, because Cody Zeller is not going to be ready like Jared Sullinger was this year.

But since I expect most of the conference to take a gigantic step backward next year, I expect IU to finish in the top 5.
    I hope you are right, I just question Crean's coaching ability. I think if the Hoosiers do not make a tournament next year the seat will begin to warm up for Crean.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    HR, so if IU DOESN'T finish in the top 5 of the Big 10 and isn't an NCAA tournament team, what should be done with Crean?
    It depends. There's of course a large difference between finishing 6th and going to the NIT, and finishing 3-15 again.

I'd be in favor of starting to put a little bit of extra pressure if IU misses the tournament, but my guess is most of the fan base would be content to wait until 2012-2013 to pass judgement.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I hope you are right, I just question Crean's coaching ability. I think if the Hoosiers do not make a tournament next year the seat will begin to warm up for Crean.
    There's certainly plenty to question about Crean, but part of the problem was that IU picked the wrong three years to be less than mediocre. The middle of the Big Ten were all just about 1 level above IU.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I think that the majority of the fan base understand that even if next year doesn't live up to the potential that we are stuck with Crean until the "superclass" comes in for better or worse. A coaching change before then could set the program back to where they started.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

Turn Off Ads?