Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Hoops

Re: Hoosier Hoops

But a five-month ESPN.com investigation into the Bloomington, Ind.-based African Hoop Opportunities Providing an Education (A-HOPE) Foundation, which claims the South American-born Perea as a foundation beneficiary, has found circumstances outside of the Baylor issue that very well might impact his initial NCAA eligibility at Indiana. Treatment afforded him by A-HOPE and its president, Mark Adams, including roundtrip airline tickets to Colombia, appears to put Perea in violation of NCAA preferential treatment and extra benefits bylaws (12.1.2.1.6).

Also at issue are gifts Perea has received from A-HOPE and Adams, whose son served on the IU basketball staff from September 2009 until this month. Perea is a member of an AAU team -- Indiana Elite -- which Adams coaches and whose best players have in the last year begun committing verbally to IU in bunches. The NCAA declined to comment specifically on Perea, but a spokesperson said that generally, "benefits from the prospects' coach other than basic living expenses are considered against NCAA rules."

2. Turn Off Ads?

There you go, it's the smoking gun. A plane ride home to his parents and a used laptop. If only the other coaches were willing to cheat as much as Mark Adams in order to bring the top talent to their respective favorite schools.

I'm frankly shocked and surprised WMR that you would endorse such an article despite it's clear attack on a child's character.

WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN WMR!?!?! WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Some interesting responses from @DustinDopirak on twitter.

Apparantly Adams says he had cleared the trip home, and the laptop with NCAA and IU's compliance office. He said that he provides school supplies for all the students in A Hope's program.

It's worth noting that if Mark Adams was using the A Hope program to recruit for IU, he did a pretty poor job of it,
    Previous players,

Southern Utah
    Michigan State
    UNLV
    UCLA
    University of New Orleans (2)
    University of Hartford
    Cincinnati State JUCO
    Hillboro CC
    Western Michigan
    University of Tennessee
    Delaware State
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I don't really care about any of this, it's just funny seeing IU fans scrambling after all those years spent looking down their noses at everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I don't really care about any of this, it's just funny seeing IU fans scrambling after all those years spent looking down their noses at everyone else.
    Now, to be fair. I haven't done anything but look up at other teams for the last 3 years. In all honesty, I can appreciate the author's intentions with the article that something doesn't smell right, but it just seems a little light on accusations of actual rule breaking.

When we've had these friendly discussions regarding Coach Cal/UK players, there were actual allegations of pretty serious rules being broken whether it was Enes Kanter being paid by his club team more than the allowed amount for amateurs, or Eric Bledsoe allegedly having had a few grades moved around, or Derek Rose allegedly having someone take his SAT for him.

Now the facts in those cases were all certainly in dispute. But what was reported was always along the lines of; one player is saying this, the university is saying that.

In this case, it seems like all the facts are known, and few if any are actual rules are shown to be broken. Thats why I think it's a lesser story.

Truly amazed you would consider it a "lesser story." It's only a lesser story because it's Indiana and not Kentucky.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-26-2011 at 04:16 PM.

No kidding, no offense to Hoosier fans here, but the ones I deal with have such a sanctimonious BS attitude about their program compared to everyone else that it makes me sick.

I love seeing them suck, and I'm going to love seeing Cody Zeller get put on a poster by Anthony Davis next year

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    No kidding, no offense to Hoosier fans here, but the ones I deal with have such a sanctimonious BS attitude about their program compared to everyone else that it makes me sick.

I love seeing them suck, and I'm going to love seeing Cody Zeller get put on a poster by Anthony Davis next year
    I'm actually hoping Crean can get them at least respectable again because otherwise we might need to explore ending the series... they have become a real drain on our RPI. I'm guessing this year's IU schedule will be another laugher to hopefully coax a 20 win campaign.

I'm actually hoping Crean can get them at least respectable again because otherwise we might need to explore ending the series... they have become a real drain on our RPI. I'm guessing this year's IU schedule will be another laugher to hopefully coax a 20 win campaign.
    Good news for them is that Tubby's lost everyone at Minnesota, so they may be able to finish 10th in the BIG 11+1 next year

But a five-month ESPN.com investigation into the Bloomington, Ind.-based African Hoop Opportunities Providing an Education (A-HOPE) Foundation, which claims the South American-born Perea as a foundation beneficiary, has found circumstances outside of the Baylor issue that very well might impact his initial NCAA eligibility at Indiana. Treatment afforded him by A-HOPE and its president, Mark Adams, including roundtrip airline tickets to Colombia, appears to put Perea in violation of NCAA preferential treatment and extra benefits bylaws (12.1.2.1.6).

Also at issue are gifts Perea has received from A-HOPE and Adams, whose son served on the IU basketball staff from September 2009 until this month. Perea is a member of an AAU team -- Indiana Elite -- which Adams coaches and whose best players have in the last year begun committing verbally to IU in bunches. The NCAA declined to comment specifically on Perea, but a spokesperson said that generally, "benefits from the prospects' coach other than basic living expenses are considered against NCAA rules."
    IU, Mark Adams, and the NCAA have already met on this subject and flights back home, the shared laptop, and clothing were already oked...
    Last edited by Playadlc; 05-27-2011 at 01:42 AM.

I pointed this out months ago... glad to see I'm not the only master of the obvious out there.
    Thank God Mike Fish got all your calls and emails.

Who is scrambling? And IU fans on here haven't done any looking down there noses at anyone. You tried this crap when you brought it up a few months ago.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Thank God Mike Fish got all your calls and emails.

Who is scrambling? And IU fans on here haven't done any looking down there noses at anyone. You tried this crap when you brought it up a few months ago.
    Calling Mike Fish? Nah I was busy calling and emailing Coach K asking if he ever heard back from the NCAA on that ole Myron Piggy deal.

I never said ALL. Don't make the comment a blanket statement when it wasn't one. If you think that attitude wasn't present by some on this board before IU went on probation, you're sorely mistaken.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-27-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Should also mention that DeAndre Liggins was involved in this. Apparently the nine game "suspension" last year by Cal was more of a NCAA suspension.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Calling Mike Fish? Nah I was busy calling and emailing Coach K asking if he ever heard back from the NCAA on that ole Myron Piggy deal.

Mike Krzyzewski doesn't hear back from the NCAA, the NCAA hears from him. He told them not to worry about the Myron Piggy situation. They offered to allow him to annex a championship for his trouble.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Mike Krzyzewski doesn't hear back from the NCAA, the NCAA hears from him.
    The sad thing is that this is 100% correct.

Turn Off Ads?