Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Hoops

Re: Hoosier Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Thanks- I really needed a little Hoosier Hysteria fix.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Im against anyone rushing the court ever. It doesn't even take anything malicious for someone's season to be over. An uncoordinated, adrenaline pumped fan could easily trip and take someone's knee out.

Outside of that if there was a time to rush a court that was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

#18 in the AP, #20 in the coaches poll. Expectations for this season have been raised. I would have been satisfied with an NIT berth coming into this season, but as I said a few weeks ago Zeller is better than I expected.

It'll be incredibly difficult to avoid a let down this week. We'll see what Crean is really capable of if they come out sharp this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Im against anyone rushing the court ever. It doesn't even take anything malicious for someone's season to be over. An uncoordinated, adrenaline pumped fan could easily trip and take someone's knee out.

Outside of that if there was a time to rush a court that was it.

Just a long list of things that has gotten out of hand because of the attention generated from non-stop highlight reel. It needs fixed before the inevitable trampling deaths occur.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Well they were flat, except for Zeller, but it's good to get a win even when they shoot poorly and play sloppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Well they were flat, except for Zeller, but it's good to get a win even when they shoot poorly and play sloppy.

They need to have a little more to the offense when it comes from set plays. All season they've been able to do enough defensively to cause turnovers, but Notre Dame only turned it over 12 times whereas Indiana had been averaging about 19 defensive turnovers prior to Saturday. Indiana surprisingly only turned it over 11 times, it felt more like 20.

But in any event, Purdue and Wisconsin in particular are two teams who are very good at not turning the ball over. I believe Wisconsin leads the nation so IU will need to develop a little bit more offensive rhythm in the half court.

Of course that's probably true of just about every team.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

IU moved up 1 spot in the AP top 25.

I wrote a post discussing whether IU's schedule was really demonstrably weaker than the rest of the conference.
    http://crimsoncast.com/2011/12/shut-...-the-schedule/
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I guess I'll be the first to post here then... Great win. The tiny line-up with Zeller out of the game was murderous on defense. Quick rotations, jumping in/out of passing lanes, and pressuring every shot. Zeller fouling out was disheartening but him out of the middle opened the floor more for the slashers. IU is exciting (and headache causing at times) to watch again.

Great win!

This was definitely a big win. When you consider how much time Zeller missed from foul trouble and being without Sheehey, it was huge to pick up a win here. Looking back, you have to be encouraged so much by the UK and OSU wins since they didn't even play their best basketball and still picked up victories. At home, yes, but still a tough combo to pull off.

Of course, I'm already sick of hearing Doug Gottlieb's excuses on ESPN. Sure, IU benefited from Sullinger being out most of the first half with foul trouble, but what about the second half? He clearly benefited from some calls and non-calls and IU had to play some extended time without Zeller. Also, all those foul calls kept IU from really pushing the tempo like they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    This was definitely a big win. When you consider how much time Zeller missed from foul trouble and being without Sheehey, it was huge to pick up a win here. Looking back, you have to be encouraged so much by the UK and OSU wins since they didn't even play their best basketball and still picked up victories. At home, yes, but still a tough combo to pull off.

Of course, I'm already sick of hearing Doug Gottlieb's excuses on ESPN. Sure, IU benefited from Sullinger being out most of the first half with foul trouble, but what about the second half? He clearly benefited from some calls and non-calls and IU had to play some extended time without Zeller. Also, all those foul calls kept IU from really pushing the tempo like they wanted to.
    Starting with the 12-minute mark of the first half through the next 3-4 minutes, Ohio State literally lost not just Sullinger, but Sullinger, Thomas, Buford and Smith -- four starters -- to foul trouble. Yeah Indiana had Zeller pick up two fouls in the second half, but I'd take Indiana's situation at home in a millisecond before what Ohio State had to overcome.

The first half was terribly lopsided officiating. The second foul on Sullinger was brutal in three ways: the defender wasn't set, he was inside the circle and Sullinger had already long left his feet and he's got to be allowed to come down. The Buford non-shoooting foul was equally perplexing.

Point is, Indiana fans have no right to cite officiating in this. Ohio State was up by 10 points and looking like an easy win for them until the fouls started coming en masse.

All that said, the second half was dead even in foul calls. It was terrible officiating on both sides where the game had very little flow until the last 5-6 minutes. Indiana lost Zeller, but Ohio State had most of their starters being saddled with fouls and it clearly cost them the aggressive defense they typically play. Where I give Indiana full credit, though, is that I thought they took better advantage of how the game was being played and better exploited the match-ups and officiating. Ohio State went at Zeller, but beyond that, I don't think they put IU's perimeter defenders in a position to pick up the ticky-tack fouls that were being called.

It's a great win for Indiana. They outplayed Ohio State late in the game when the flow picked up. I just think most neutral observers would gladly have Indiana's circumstances that game than what OSU was facing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The first half was terribly lopsided officiating. The second foul on Sullinger was brutal in three ways: the defender wasn't set, he was inside the circle and Sullinger had already long left his feet and he's got to be allowed to come down. The Buford non-shoooting foul was equally perplexing.
    Sullinger's 2nd foul was a horrendous call, no question. That's the kind of call officials seem to make all the time now and I can't stand it. Because officials make those calls, teams make taking charges part of playing defense when that's not the intent of the rule. "Drawing" a charge isn't playing good defense in my book. It's just taking a shortcut. But yeah, I wasn't a fan of that one either.

Point is, Indiana fans have no right to cite officiating in this. Ohio State was up by 10 points and looking like an easy win for them until the fouls started coming en masse.
    OSU was in control early, yes, but you can't say it was looking like an easy win that early in the game. Lots of teams have streaks. At 19-9, there's still a ton of basketball left to play.

As I said above, the bigger point is that while OSU did have a burden with guys in foul trouble, I think the choppiness of the game played more in their favor than Indiana's. When the pace became more frenetic at the end of the first half and at times in the second half, Indiana had the clear advantage. Oladipo was able to rattle Craft and IU was forcing Ohio State into some mistakes and bad shots. That's why I think the fouls slowing the pace of the game at times helped the Buckeyes out in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    Sullinger's 2nd foul was a horrendous call, no question. That's the kind of call officials seem to make all the time now and I can't stand it. Because officials make those calls, teams make taking charges part of playing defense when that's not the intent of the rule. "Drawing" a charge isn't playing good defense in my book. It's just taking a shortcut. But yeah, I wasn't a fan of that one either.

OSU was in control early, yes, but you can't say it was looking like an easy win that early in the game. Lots of teams have streaks. At 19-9, there's still a ton of basketball left to play.

As I said above, the bigger point is that while OSU did have a burden with guys in foul trouble, I think the choppiness of the game played more in their favor than Indiana's. When the pace became more frenetic at the end of the first half and at times in the second half, Indiana had the clear advantage. Oladipo was able to rattle Craft and IU was forcing Ohio State into some mistakes and bad shots. That's why I think the fouls slowing the pace of the game at times helped the Buckeyes out in some ways.
    Yeah make no mistake, I am not trying to predict how the game would have gone because as you said... lots of time still left. I just meant that there was a direct correlation from the score, when Indiana made its run and which players were on the floor for Ohio State.

As to your point about the pace, while that little stretch did rattle Ohio State, Craft was playing with the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th players on Ohio State's bench at that given time. When Ohio State's starters are in there, they probably would have been glad for any team to try that pace on them. Florida tried it each of the last two years and it didn't work out for them. In fact, Billy Donovan didn't press as much this year because of how well Craft broke their fullcourt pressure last season in Gainesville.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that those plays by Oladipo gave Indiana a lot of momentum, but with a full half at that pace with Ohio State's starters on the floor, I don't think Indiana would have liked the result. I really honestly believe they were better off with how it worked out. In that kind of a game where so many things were being called, Ohio State's usual physical defense got pretty soft and Indiana did a far better job exploiting it than OSU did with IU. Crean pushed all the right buttons down the stretch looking for an edge with matchups.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?