Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Hoops

Re: Hoosier Hoops

Class from Sullinger...

From his twitter:

"Give credit when credit is due. IU basketball is back everybody.... Tough basketball team."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Starting with the 12-minute mark of the first half through the next 3-4 minutes, Ohio State literally lost not just Sullinger, but Sullinger, Thomas, Buford and Smith -- four starters -- to foul trouble. Yeah Indiana had Zeller pick up two fouls in the second half, but I'd take Indiana's situation at home in a millisecond before what Ohio State had to overcome.

The first half was terribly lopsided officiating. The second foul on Sullinger was brutal in three ways: the defender wasn't set, he was inside the circle and Sullinger had already long left his feet and he's got to be allowed to come down. The Buford non-shoooting foul was equally perplexing.

Point is, Indiana fans have no right to cite officiating in this. Ohio State was up by 10 points and looking like an easy win for them until the fouls started coming en masse.

All that said, the second half was dead even in foul calls. It was terrible officiating on both sides where the game had very little flow until the last 5-6 minutes. Indiana lost Zeller, but Ohio State had most of their starters being saddled with fouls and it clearly cost them the aggressive defense they typically play. Where I give Indiana full credit, though, is that I thought they took better advantage of how the game was being played and better exploited the match-ups and officiating. Ohio State went at Zeller, but beyond that, I don't think they put IU's perimeter defenders in a position to pick up the ticky-tack fouls that were being called.

It's a great win for Indiana. They outplayed Ohio State late in the game when the flow picked up. I just think most neutral observers would gladly have Indiana's circumstances that game than what OSU was facing.
    It was a horrendously officiated game. Way too many little ticky tack touch fouls getting called. Refs needed to just let both teams play. And the foul that fouled Z out was horrible. Dude was straight up and down and Sully initiated the contact. Should have been a no call, but other than that I can't think of any individual calls that were bad, but the tone the officials set ruined the flow of the game for both squads.

We are legit. Indiana basketball is back. And it feels awesome. Are we a national championship contender? Most likely no, but Sweet 16? That's very doable, and I'll take that after these past few years. At the start of the season I'd have been happy with making the NIT. With Wisconsin looking somewhat like a fraud, we may be the 3rd best team in the Big Ten. Depends on if that Iowa loss was a fluke. Seriously, Wisky lost to Iowa? At HOME? They NEVER lose at home!

I wouldn't get too excited about Wisconsins downfall just yet. Their offense is very much dependent on hitting jump shots. When those dont fall for whatever reason, they're vulnerable to losing to anyone. But I wouldn't count on that happening all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited about Wisconsins downfall just yet. Their offense is very much dependent on hitting jump shots. When those dont fall for whatever reason, they're vulnerable to losing to anyone. But I wouldn't count on that happening all the time.
    Yeah, that could have been a fluky loss, but normally they find a way to win that game. Not saying they suck, just that they may be down slightly, which is still good for us.

IU ranked 12th in both polls, even after losing to MSU. That Ohio State win must have really helped.

Will IU beat Michigan? A win vs the Wolverines I feel like will help solidify IU as a threat. I'm curious to see how IU fares on the road in conference competition.

IU opens as an 8 point favorite over Michigan.

Really, would it kill this team to make it easy once in a while? However in a week where Wisconsin loses to Iowa & A&T loses to Penn State by 20 there's no such thing as a bad win.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Really, would it kill this team to make it easy once in a while? However in a week where Wisconsin loses to Iowa & A&T loses to Penn State by 20 there's no such thing as a bad win.
    Two things to remember:

1. It's the Big 10 -- the worst teams play the best teams tough, so winning by a large margin against a top 20 team is tough; and

2. IU is good, but still very, very young. You can see them maturing -- last night Watford's passes inside to Zeller were something they hadn't done against Michigan State the week before, but you can also see how they get rattled -- Oladapu gets frustrated and then makes poor decisions.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Two things to remember:

1. It's the Big 10 -- the worst teams play the best teams tough, so winning by a large margin against a top 20 team is tough; and

2. IU is good, but still very, very young. You can see them maturing -- last night Watford's passes inside to Zeller were something they hadn't done against Michigan State the week before, but you can also see how they get rattled -- Oladapu gets frustrated and then makes poor decisions.
    I know I know. Cody made some terrible decisions last night too. Ecstatic at how things have worked out and IU is winning all the close games they lost in the past few years. A lot of that has to do with mental toughness etc etc, but a lot has to do with simply luck evening out after the last few years.

IU needs to win on Saturday and for some teams ahead of them to lose. Most teams ahead won their early week game.

IU was on fire with the 3s today and got a good road win. I think IU will be in the top 10 now in the polls. Louisville, Georgetown and Connecticut all lost this week (and CT lost twice). Missouri lost too, but I don't know that IU makes that big of a jump. I could be wrong though.

It's pretty amazing when you consider that IU wasn't even ranked to start the year and didn't even start getting attention until before the UK game.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    IU was on fire with the 3s today and got a good road win. I think IU will be in the top 10 now in the polls. Louisville, Georgetown and Connecticut all lost this week (and CT lost twice). Missouri lost too, but I don't know that IU makes that big of a jump. I could be wrong though.

It's pretty amazing when you consider that IU wasn't even ranked to start the year and didn't even start getting attention until before the UK game.
    Last few years they had to shoot like that to win any game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I'm not a believer in Indiana yet. If they hang with OSU at their place Sunday, I might think they are legit.

However, my suspicion is that as the year plays out is that Wisconsin will be better than Indiana come tournament time. The Big 10 seems to come down to Ohio State/Michigan State. The rest of the league is mediocre or worst, with maybe only Wisconsin and IU being a tick above average.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm not a believer in Indiana yet. If they hang with OSU at their place Sunday, I might think they are legit.

However, my suspicion is that as the year plays out is that Wisconsin will be better than Indiana come tournament time. The Big 10 seems to come down to Ohio State/Michigan State. The rest of the league is mediocre or worst, with maybe only Wisconsin and IU being a tick above average.
    I understand the skepticism, but would you be this skeptic if IUs last three seasons looked more like Illinois or Purdue?

I don't think Indiana will end up in the top 10, but there's no reason they shouldn't be ranked there now.

IU's going to lose a game or two that they have "no business losing," much like Wisconsin did. In the end I'll be pleasantly surprised if they're 13-5 or better in the B1G Ten.
    But in terms of proving it on the court, IU has done as much if not more than just about any team in the country so far.

I understand the skepticism, but would you be this skeptic if IUs last three seasons looked more like Illinois or Purdue?

I don't think Indiana will end up in the top 10, but there's no reason they shouldn't be ranked there now.

IU's going to lose a game or two that they have "no business losing," much like Wisconsin did. In the end I'll be pleasantly surprised if they're 13-5 or better in the B1G Ten.
    But in terms of proving it on the court, IU has done as much if not more than just about any team in the country so far.
    UK and OSU wins are home court advantage wins. What is a signature road win?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?