Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Gregg to Cubs

Gregg to Cubs

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3700730

The Chicago Cubs have acquired Florida Marlins reliever Kevin Gregg, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The Marlins received 22-year-old right-hander Jose Ceda in return, according to sources.

Gregg, who was Florida's closer for most of the 2008 season, saved 29 games last season and was 7-8 with a 3.41 ERA. He blew nine saves for the Marlins in 2008.

He is the fourth arbitration-eligible player traded by the Marlins this offseason, joining first baseman Mike Jacobs, who was traded to Kansas City, and outfielder Josh Willingham and starting pitcher Scott Olsen, who were traded to Washington.

Chicago's closer, Kerry Wood, is scheduled to become a free agent at midnight.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gregg to Cubs

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8...l-with-Marlins

The Cubs, facing the possible loss of closer Kerry Wood, have acquired right-hander Kevin Gregg from the Marlins, according to major-league sources.

Gregg, 30, closed for the Marlins for most of last season, but the Cubs likely would use him as a bridge to a Carlos Marmol if Wood departed as a free agent.

Marmol would take over as the closer, with the Cubs likely using a number of relievers — including Gregg, Jeff Samardzija, Angel Guzman, Neal Cotts, and Kevin Hart — leading up to the ninth inning.

It is not yet known whom the Marlins will receive in return for Gregg.

The Marlins have now traded four arbitration-eligible players since the end of last season — Gregg, first baseman Mike Jacobs, left-hander Scott Olsen and outfielder Josh Willingham.

Gregg tied with the Rockies' Manuel Corpas for the major-league lead in blown saves last season, finishing 29-for-38 in save opportunities with a 3.41 ERA.
    Nice trade for the Marlins--they got Jose Ceda.
    Last edited by reds44; 11-13-2008 at 02:38 PM.

15 decisions for a closer?

That's a lot.

Of the MLB pitchers who were in the top 20 in # of saves in 2008, only 2 had 10+ decisions: Solomon Torres (7-5) and Mariano Rivera (6-5).

Now this makes up for the last trade a bit

Nice trade for the Marlins. Ceda has a chance to be a true shutdown reliever.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I'd like to see Dusty try to lure Kerry Wood to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I can actually see that happening, especially if Affeldt doesn't re-sign.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    So where do we send Cordero (along with his no-trade clause)?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    no where.. what's wrong with having a surplus of live arms? If the Reds miss out on Weathers and Affeldt then Wood would be a good pick. Affeldt and Weathers would make at least 3MM per year. Why not offer Wood 3 years / 15MM. He could become the 8th inning guy and get spot saves. A bullpen like this would be pretty nice:

Owings
    Masset
    Roenicke
    Bray
    Burton
    Wood
    Cordero
    Last edited by RedLegSuperStar; 11-13-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Back to Milwaukee for JJ Hardy.

I was hoping that the Reds would do a Roenicke and change deal for Gregg to set the team up with a spare closer to deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Supposedly Wood is looking for a real LT deal, with his arm history do you want to sign him for 5 years? The emergence of Marmol let Hendry re-evaluate that very problem and decide to pass - my guess is less because of money than the LT aspect of a deal.

Turn Off Ads?