Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Kevin Gregg dealt to the Cubs

Kevin Gregg dealt to the Cubs

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3700730

The Chicago Cubs have acquired Florida Marlins reliever Kevin Gregg, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The Marlins received 22-year-old right-hander Jose Ceda in return, according to sources.

Gregg, who was Florida's closer for most of the 2008 season, saved 29 games last season and was 7-8 with a 3.41 ERA. He blew nine saves for the Marlins in 2008.

He is the fourth arbitration-eligible player traded by the Marlins this offseason, joining first baseman Mike Jacobs, who was traded to Kansas City, and outfielder Josh Willingham and starting pitcher Scott Olsen, who were traded to Washington.

Chicago's closer, Kerry Wood, is scheduled to become a free agent at midnight.
    i didn't expect this. i wonder where wood ends up. this would free up a little money for the cubs to resign players and FA's.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Kevin Gregg dealt to the Cubs

I wouldn't be surprised if Wood stays with the Cubs unless he gets blown away by another team's offer.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Wood stays with the Cubs unless he gets blown away by another team's offer.
    ya think? i just can't see wood in a setup role. maybe gregg could be in setup but that would be alot of (potential) closers on one team
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Gregg, Marmol & Wood would make a pretty lethal 7th, 8th & 9th inning trio although they did give up their top reliever prospect.

don't they still have howry too? i mean i know he's more of a weathers type but that just seems like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post

I really think Wood will ask the Cubs if he can play for the minimum.
    Who's on first?

I Hate The Cubs but this is good...

2:18pm: GM Jim Hendry says the Cubs will part ways with lifetime Cub Kerry Wood. Replacing him with Gregg should save the team a good $6MM. The Cubs just couldn't pony up a huge multiyear deal for Wood.
    Last edited by schmidty622; 11-13-2008 at 05:09 PM.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

Could he hold up enough to ever be a starter again? If so, Dusty needs to make a call. Or, move Cordero for a LF and sign Woods to close. Nah, that makes too much sense.

I think if Dusty can get Wood to come over to the Reds, it would make up for Patterson. Well...almost.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    I Hate The Cubs but this is good...

2:18pm: GM Jim Hendry says the Cubs will part ways with lifetime Cub Kerry Wood. Replacing him with Gregg should save the team a good $6MM. The Cubs just couldn't pony up a huge multiyear deal for Wood.
    Wow, I figured the Cubs would want to work something out with Kerry but I guess not. Oh well! :
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?