Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, whatever, "Nevermind..."

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Well, whatever, "Nevermind..."

Being a younger member on this board...this makes me feel a bit old...er..

http://www.mtv.com/photos/?fid=1598984&view=thumb

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Well, whatever, "Nevermind..."

That baby album cover is still disturbing, IMO

The most important rock album of the last 25 years? I think so...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Hands down
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Blew might be better though.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Blew might be better though.
    Are you talking about Bleach? I like that album a lot, but it's not Nevermind...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 11-13-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Are you talking about Bleach? I like that album a lot, but it's not Nevermind...
    Yes, duh.. Bleach. $600 of fuzz, not as produced as nevermind, not as popular, but while Nevermind introduced Nirvana to the world Bleach pushed Sub Pop over the top and that was a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yes, duh.. Bleach. $600 of fuzz, not as produced as nevermind, not as popular, but while Nevermind introduced Nirvana to the world Bleach pushed Sub Pop over the top and that was a good thing.
    Then why didn't you just call it by its name?

I agree Bleach has a better sound, and it' less forced "grunge" which I like, but the iconic singles on Nevermind make it better IMHO...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 11-13-2008 at 07:53 PM.

As much as I disliked Nirvana and the whole Seattle thing, I can't argue.

My dislike was because I was a child of 70s and 80s rock, and the new sound was a shock to my system. For the first time in my life, at age 25, I felt outdated and uncool. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" just sounded like a bunch of jumbled noise to me.

I now appreciate the band and the album and it's place in music history, but it doesn't bring back great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post

My dislike was because I was a child of 70s and 80s rock, and the new sound was a shock to my system. For the first time in my life, at age 25, I felt outdated and uncool. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" just sounded like a bunch of jumbled noise to me.

I now appreciate the band and the album and it's place in music history, but it doesn't bring back great memories.
    Try this version on for size - I heard about Anka's album on NPR (maybe Fresh Air) and it was intriguing to hear a big band take on the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM_xvTaYavw
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Another thing that made Nevermind as great as it was, is the fact that they added Dave Grohl as their drummer shortly before going to Sound City to record it.

If you're very into Nirvana, you know that Chad Channing (and The Melvins' Dale Crover for 3 songs) was the drummer on Bleach, and while decent, Chad definitely was not at the same level as a Dave Grohl.

I honestly can't picture the songs on Nevermind sounding as good if they had Chad Channing drumming on them. If any of you have ever heard Nirvana's "Smart Demos", you'll probably agree. These were the original Nevermind sessions, before they canned Chad in favor of Dave. Songs like "In Bloom" and "Lithium" just were not the same without Dave's firepower.

Oh, and I also think In Utero is an incredibly underrated album, in addition to Bleach. But following up Nevermind was of course a tough task.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Try this version on for size - I heard about Anka's album on NPR (maybe Fresh Air) and it was intriguing to hear a big band take on the song:
    Well, now, that was different. I had never listened to Anka or any big band for that matter, but it was really interesting to hear that song (and some others at youtube) that he had redone. I ended up going over there and listening to a couple more. I've always believed that a great song is a great song, regardless of the genre, and this is evidence IMO.

One great musical masterpiece was the title track from from Metallica's And Justice For All CD. I always wanted to hear a huge orchestra perform that song.
    Last edited by macro; 11-14-2008 at 09:27 AM.

I'm the same age, but I had the opposite reaction. I was beyond tired of Boomer rock and I was aching for our generation to bust out with something different.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Me too and I was a teenager at the time. My favorite albums as a teen were Live's Throwing Copper, Tool's Undertow and STP's Purple. I like a little melody in my music and a little meaning in my lyrics.

Of course, that was then. When I go back now and listen, I think I like Nirvana better (hard to tell, though, since I've heard every song a million times at this point). Odd how that works.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 11-14-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Me too and I was a teenager at the time. My favorite albums as a teen were Live's Throwing Copper, Tool's Undertow and STP's Purple. I like a little melody in my music and a little meaning in my lyrics.

Of course, that was then. When I go back now and listen, I think I like Nirvana better (hard to tell, though, since I've heard every song a million times at this point). Odd how that works.
    One of the common knocks on Nevermind is that it's melody-heavy. That's where the Cheap Trick comparison comes in.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?