Turn Off Ads?
Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768
Results 1,006 to 1,015 of 1015

Thread: What was the most recent movie I watched?

Re: What was the most recent movie I watched?

Dom, have you read the Watchmen graphic novel?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

I must have missed some parts of the story of District 9 because I left the movie asking a lot of questions about why certain things were happening.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Dom, have you read the Watchmen graphic novel?
    I haven't Johnny- can't make up my mind if i want to. I find comics really, really boring- the dialogue is usually awful- so, not sure how I would take to it.

But the movie had me thinking about it the whole next day. Loved the concept- just certain parts felt like "Dune." Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Saw (500) Days of Summer with my wife tonight. Loved the movie. The dialogue was very real to me and not your typical googly eyed love cliches you see in most Hollywood films of the genre.

Am I the only one who thought Summer was a cruel human being? I thought she was just flat out mean. I, too, had a Summer in my youth and was scarred for a while because of it.
    I agree; I loved the movie. I thought Summer was a jerk, but not intentionally so.

I also saw District 9, which I also loved. I want to be Christopher Johnson when I grow up. I was impressed that they were able to make Christopher and his son so emotive. I must say I didn't think any of the human characters had any redeeming qualities (which I think was the point).

This has been a good summer for movies: Star Trek, District 9, Moon, and (500) Days of Summer. I'm really looking forward to 9. I'll probably go see Inglourious Basterds this weekend.

District 9 was a "B-" for me. I think I went in expecting too much after a few good reviews. Mrs. Bourbon was also with me and short of Star Trek/Wars is not much of a sci fi fan so I was also worried she was really hating it.

Watchmen needed excess plot trimmed down to come in around 2 hours or so. It just goes on too long, too many needless flashbacks and drawn out scenes had me looking at my "watch" to hurry it up. Dr. Manhattan's character was really cool, a welcome departure from typical comic book heroes.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

What were you expecting from D9 that it didn't deliver?

One of the most amazing sci fi films of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I haven't Johnny- can't make up my mind if i want to. I find comics really, really boring- the dialogue is usually awful- so, not sure how I would take to it.

But the movie had me thinking about it the whole next day. Loved the concept- just certain parts felt like "Dune." Not good.
    "Watchmen" is different from other comics. You should give it a try -- check it out from the library. The dialogue and themes are thoughtful and challenging. The plot is slowly paced, almost exactly like the movie, but it feels more satisfying because you're not seeing everything unfold in 2 hours. The ending of the movie is actually better, however.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    What were you expecting from D9 that it didn't deliver?

One of the most amazing sci fi films of all time.
    I guess I had a lot of trouble getting over a sci fi movie that essentially takes place entirely on present day earth. I know it had the spaceship and cool weaponry but that was very minor in the film. The aliens clearly had superior equipment/intelligence but were portrayed as very stupid. (Look what they traded for a can of meow mix!) It was a good movie don't get me wrong. Like I said, I just went into it with really high expectations (you probably heard Stern's review WMR?)

Training Day

A really captivating story that had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Denzel Washington was great, but I thought Ethan Hawke was even better.

8/10

Obsessed, or as I call it "Fatal Attraction Redux"

Awful, predictable. 2 hours of my life I will never get back.

Turn Off Ads?