Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on the Reds free agents from Fay

Update on the Reds free agents from Fay

Talked to Walt Jocketty tonight. He didn't expect any last-minute deal with any of the free agents who ended the year of the roster. The deadline for teams' exclusive rights to their own free agents is midnight. The Reds talked to relievers David Weathers, Jeremy Affeldt and Mike Lincoln and outfielder/infielder Jerry Hairston Jr. about returning.

“They want to see what’s out there,” Jocketty said. “We’re not closing the door. We’ll respond to the offers they get. But we’re not waiting around either. We’re going to try to improve the club through trades or free agency.”

Jocketty reiterated that the Reds will look to trades first and free agency second.

“I think with trades you have better control of your destiny,” he said. “With free agency, you don’t know what to expect, especially early.”

The Reds moved quickly to fill a need through free agency the last two years, signing Alex Gonzalez in 2006 and Coco Cordero last year.

“I don’t think that’s going to happen right away,” Jocketty said. “It could. You never know until you start talking to people but I don’t expect it.”

My guess is Reds sit back for at least a week or two and then try to do some bargain shopping. I think all four of those guys could help the club. But I wouldn't overspend to bring any of them back. I think you'll see players scrambling for jobs in early February, particularly if the economy doesn't get better.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Update on the Reds free agents from Fay

Go BLUE!!!

For a Level Playing Field

Two sides to this in my head...

(1) REDS fan: See ya later. Not like any of you are players that will be "the difference". Wish ya well, but don't let the Great American door hit you in the butt on your way out. Finished with a losing record with ya and won't do much worse without ya.

(2) These players: Why should I stay? Unless the REDS make a ridiculou$ offer, I might as well look elsewhere. Heck, I might get the opportunity to get in the playoffs by going elsewhere. Doesn't look like that will be happening in the Queen City anytime soon. Cincinnati isn't the Siberia of MLB, but it is not in the top half of desirable teams either. Big bucks and playoff hopes? Let me look around.

The Winter Meetings close on my birthday. I want a nice present from the ballclub.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Of the Free Agents I would want to hang on to Jeremy Affeldt and Jerry Hairston Jr. and say bye bye to other 7

They need to at least offer Affeldt arbitration. I'd like to bring him back on a two or three year deal but I think he'll probably end up elsewhere. Losing him would hurt but receiving a draft pick would help make up for it.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    They need to at least offer Affeldt arbitration. I'd like to bring him back on a two or three year deal but I think he'll probably end up elsewhere which won't hurt as bad if the Reds receive a draft pick.
    You have to offer arbitration to Affeldt and Weathers both.. at least get a draft pick from both.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Of the Free Agents I would want to hang on to Jeremy Affeldt and Jerry Hairston Jr. and say bye bye to other 7
    At least make them credible offers, but with Hairston I'd avoid a Freel-like LT deal

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    You have to offer arbitration to Affeldt and Weathers both.. at least get a draft pick from both.
    I agree. I seriously doubt Weathers would accept arb - and the risk he'd accept is worth it to get the draft pick.

As to the free agent market:
    If the strategy is to wait on the market and let the first tier fall before moving in to bargain shop I think this is a great year for that - the talent is pretty thin, the economy may have teams thinking before offering stupid contracts to any but the mega stars making the overall price better and the pickings richer come February.

Finally, why all the "jump off the bridge" hand wringing? It's early November, not March. The winter meetings are still a couple weeks away, the FA market hasn't opened for free-for-all negotiations yet, rosters are still in flux as teams make their decisions about their 40 man in preparation for protecting prospects and freeing up space, no need to hit the panic button yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    agreed.

but Walt's been waiting out the market for 15 years, and he generally makes out like a bandit. It's when he reaches that he gets burned.

I predict late, sensible deals that bring in a big bat and make the Reds more likely to compete. The horror.

My guess is Reds sit back for at least a week or two and then try to do some bargain shopping.
    Bargain shopping. It's a Reds tradition.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Bargain shopping. It's a Reds tradition.
    Your Cincinnati Reds:

Frugally shopping for free agents since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    Your Cincinnati Reds:

Frugally shopping for free agents since 1975

I just wish they'd have stuck to that philosophy when Eric Milton was a FA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I just wish they'd have stuck to that philosophy when Eric Milton was a FA.
    But Sean Casey called him. THAT sealed the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The Winter Meetings close on my birthday. I want a nice present from the ballclub.
    You better hope for layaway.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    But Sean Casey called him. THAT sealed the deal.

2010, Reds hire Sean Casey as Assistant General Manager and Party Planner.

Hal has some info on next year's payroll. Some Jocketty quotes concerning free agents as well. Article is from yesterday.

The dismal national and world economy won’t have an immediate impact on the payroll of the 2009 Cincinnati Reds, but it most likely will have an affect on free agency.

Owner Bob Castellini is committed to a payroll in the mid-$80 million range, a slight uptick from last season’s $73 million, says general manager Walt Jocketty.

“We know it is a very tough economy and it will affect revenue for every club,” he said.

While many fans believe the Reds have a lot of wiggle room on their payroll after the trades last season of Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn, approximately $30 million what, they don’t realize is that a significant portion of that must go for contractual raises for second baseman Brandon Phillips plus pitchers Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Francisco Cordero.

That alone limits what the Reds can do on the free agent market, but Jocketty also says, “It is not really a good free agent crop this year. There are a couple of top-level guys, then it falls off quite a bit. There are a couple of players we might pursue, but their prices could knock us off.”

The Reds have nine free agents on the market and Jocketty said the club has made offers to a few.

“We’re interested in a handful,” he said. “We’ve talked to (pitcher) Mike Lincoln and (infielder/outfielder) Jerry Hairston Jr. Some of the other have indicated they want to try the free agent market.

One of those is pitcher David Weathers, who Jocketty is interested in bringing back, but late last season Weathers said, “No more hometown discounts. I’m going to see what’s out there.”

In addition to Lincoln, Hairston and Weathers, Reds who field for free agency are pitcher Jeremy Affeldt, catcher Paul Bako, pitcher Josh Fogg, pitcher Kent Mercker, outfielder Corey Patterson and catcher Javier Valentin.

Jocketty said the team is not interested in bringing back either Bako or Patterson and Mercker most likely will retire.

“It look as if the best way for us to go is through trades and from our system,” said Jocketty.

Jocketty is talking with several teams about trades, one of which is Colorado. Names that have surfaced include outfielder/leadoff hitter Will Taveras, catcher Yorvit Torrealba and third baseman Garrett Atkins.

All three fit into needs as the Reds search for a righthanded power hitter (Atkins — .286, 21 homers, 99 RBIs), a catcher (Torrealba — .246 in 70 games, most in a back-up role) and an outfielder/leadoff hitter (Taveras, who led the league with 68 stolen bases, but hit only .251 with a .308 on-base average).

The Rockies are searching for starting pitchers, but are not interested in Homer Bailey.

“We’ll do what we can to improve our team by any means — free agents we can afford, trades or within the system,” said Jocketty.

Turn Off Ads?