Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn in free agency

Re: Dunn in free agency

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    who said he was great, I said he's doing better than anyone here

http://www.girlstalksports.com/Baseb...n-20051206454/

Blue Jays General Manager J.P. Ricciardi gets contract extension
    The Toronto Blue Jays general manager and senior vice president of baseball operations J.P. Ricciardi has signed a three-year contract extension that will keep him with the team through the 2010 season.

The news came early Tuesday morning, the second day of baseball's Winter Meetings, as reports surfaced that the Blue Jays had signed starting pitcher A.J. Burnett to a five-year contract.

That deal would mark the second significant addition in nine days for the Blue Jays, who made a splash last Monday by signing B.J. Ryan to a five-year, $47 million contract, the largest ever for a closer.

Toronto's action so far this off season could signal a real challenge to the rest of the American League East, particularly to the division's perennial powers, the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees.

The Blue Jays were 80-82 last season, but are debt free and appear ready to spend. Still, J.P. Ricciardi stopped short of calling the Blue Jays contenders for the division crown.

"I don't know if we've closed the gap," J.P. Ricciardi said, surrounded by a throng of reporters at Dallas' Wyndham Anatole Hotel, where the Winter Meetings are being held. "But I think we're getting better."

J.P. Ricciardi, 46, became the fourth Blue Jays general manager following the 2001 season. The team is 311-336 during his tenure.

Blue Jays president and CEO Paul Godfrey called the contract extension an "easy decision to make."

"In a relatively short period of time, J.P. Ricciardi has positively reshaped all aspects of the Blue Jays Baseball Operations," said Godfrey. "Our major league club now appears set to contend with a talented core of exciting young players led by a hard-working and accomplished coaching staff."
    LOL you know that that article is from 2005, right?

He's at least a little smart, he never proclaimed the Jays as contenders for the division crown.
    Last edited by WMR; 11-14-2008 at 06:11 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

4 years, 72 Million...

Going to the Dodgers

I think someone already said it but I'll go with the Giants. Four years, $62 million, though I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign for longer. He's only 28.

I hope to see him in the AL though.

This thread depresses me. I have not gotten over this.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Giants for me as well. Having a big LH power guy that can hit balls into McCovey cove is something they need for their fan base. The only question is if he'll go there. I'll guess SF offers 3 years $48 Million with a 4th year option at $17 Million or a $2 Million buy-out. That would be $50 Million guaranteed for 3 years, $65 Million if the 4th year option is picked-up.

OTOH, I could see Dunn accepting a lot less to go where he is comfortable like Texas or Houston, but neither is a great fit from a baseball perspective. Cleveland would be my other choice.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    LOL you know that that article is from 2005, right?

He's at least a little smart, he never proclaimed the Jays as contenders for the division crown.
    who cares what year it was, did you read Johnny Footstool's question? Geez

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Just going by what Buster Olney said.

ESPN's Trade Deadline show. They were discussing the lack of interest in Dunn....his flaws, not knowing where he really fits in the order, the money involved...etc. Buster Olney said, "I talked to one GM today that said he wouldn't give Dunn more than a one or two year deal at 5-million a year when he becomes a free agent this offseason."

http://thelotd.com/lance/blog/2008/07/31/friday

This was from some other GM named J.P. Ricciardi

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...adio-show.aspx

Jays notebook: Ricciardi trashes Adam Dunn on radio show
    Posted: June 19, 2008, 12:38 AM by John Lott
    GTA, Baseball, MLB

Slugger Adam Dunn lacks a passion for baseball and definitely will not become a Toronto Blue Jay, general manager J.P. Ricciardi said Wednesday night.

Dunn, who plays for the Cincinnati Reds, is often mentioned in trade rumours, but Ricciardi was adamant that the Jays have zero interest in the 28-year-old outfielder.

Ricciardi slammed Dunn on his Wednesday night phone-in show on The Fan 590, a Toronto radio station. His comments came after a caller suggested the Jays acquire Dunn, who is hitting .227 with 18 homers and 43 RBIs with the Reds.

“Do you know the guy doesn’t really like baseball that much?” Ricciardi said to the caller. “Do you know the guy doesn’t have a passion to play the game that much? How much do you know about the player?

“There’s a reason why you’re attracted to some players and there’s a reason why you’re not attracted to some players. I don’t think you’d be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here …

“We’ve done our homework on guys like Adam Dunn and there’s a reason why we don’t want Adam Dunn. I don’t want to get into specifics.”

Ricciardi was generally sympathetic as callers vented following the Jays 5-4 loss to Milwaukee. But Ricciardi’s demeanour changed when a caller mentioned Dunn as a hitter who might “save” the Jays’ moribund offence.

“He’s a lifetime .230, .240 hitter that strikes out a ton and hits home runs,” Ricciardi said.

“Yes, he hits home runs, which none of the Toronto Blue Jays are doing,” the caller replied.

That retort triggered Ricciardi’s shot at Dunn as a player who “doesn’t really like baseball that much.”

In his seven-year career, Dunn has averaged 40 homers and 96 RBIs while batting .247. He has also averaged 181 strikeouts. His current salary is US$13-million.

Three callers asked Ricciardi why he does not fire manager John Gibbons. In each case, the caller also asked other questions, which the general manager focused on while ignoring the question about Gibbons.

But for those looking for a signal, Ricciardi did suggest that he is open to “doing some things different” — whatever that might mean.

“We are underachieving and we should not be,” he said. “This is too good a team, and this is a team that should be playing better. So we’re going to continue to watch it and probably have a little bit more of an open mind to doing some things different.”

The Jays have lost four straight and occupy last place in the American League East, 10 games behind the first-place Boston Red Sox.

“This year we thought would be our best year … I think it’s salvageable. I think there’s still some baseball left in us that we can turn some things around. But we've got to get going,” Ricciardi said.

Do you honestly really truly believe that Dunn will get less than $10 Million a year?

... b/c if you do, you're lying to yourself

Dunn to the St. Louis Cardinals for 5 years 60 million.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Do you honestly really truly believe that Dunn will get less than $10 Million a year?

... b/c if you do, you're lying to yourself
    Im not a Dunn worshiper and if the word around the league is he's this and that why not point it out, is this not a forum or is it the Dunn Cathedral. You can tell me if it's a cathedral, if it is I'll get the heck out dude. You guys can rip on Marty or Trader Jack all day long and the next day, but if someone even mentions anything about Dunn this place goes bananas.
    Last edited by icehole3; 11-15-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Im not a Dunn worshiper and if the word around the league is he's this and that why not point it out, is this not a forum or is it the Dunn Cathedral. You can tell me if it's a cathedral, if it is I'll get the heck out dude.
    Unless for some reason he wants to or accepts some kind of heavily back loaded deal, Dunn is not going to take a pay cut. That means he won't make less than $13 million next year. Believing otherwise is silly.

I also thought he wouldnt get resigned by Arizona and they were the team that thought the most about Dunn while just about everyone here went Gah-Gah when he was traded to Arizona and had him locking up a long term gazillion dollar mega deal, it was sickening, I guess you can believe what you want and I can believe what I want and we can all be silly together.

I honestly think Dunn will go to the Nationals if he has a deal over two years...Not because I don't like Dunn but because there are too many teams that can only see his size ballooning too which only further limits his already poor defensive skills in the field.

Can he make a switch to 1B? Is that even a good move for him?

Can he play average at any position other than DH?

My "guess" still just a guess like everyone else is that he goes to Cleveland for two years at nothing more than $25mil...it's a new economy and only the elite players will hold value...and lets all be honest, Dunn is not an elite player.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I also thought he wouldnt get resigned by Arizona and they were the team that thought the most about Dunn while just about everyone here went Gah-Gah when he was traded to Arizona and had him locking up a long term gazillion dollar mega deal, it was sickening, I guess you can believe what you want and I can believe what I want and we can all be silly together.
    Oh, please. Arizona is allegedly in salary dump mode. If they want to be rid of Snyder and his $1.85 million contract, it follows that they wouldn't be interested in signing Dunn, who stands to make at least seven times that much.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    ...and lets all be honest, Dunn is not an elite player.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    lets all be honest, Dunn is not an elite player.
    Umm, yes he is.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Oh, please. Arizona is allegedly in salary dump mode. If they want to be rid of Snyder and his $1.85 million contract, it follows that they wouldn't be interested in signing Dunn, who stands to make at least seven times that much.
    Oh please please, both NYteams, both LA teams, Bos and the Cubs are about the only teams not dumping and even those teams will think twice about Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?