Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Three-Way Trade Proposal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Three-Way Trade Proposal

In light of the stalled Jake Peavy to Atlanta trade rumors, I thought of this idea and wanted to hear your thoughts.

Reds trade Bronson Arroyo to the Atlanta Braves for second baseman Kelly Johnson. The Reds then send Johnson to St. Louis for outfielder Ryan Ludwick.

Atlanta is looking for two starting pitchers whether they acquire Peavy or not. Arroyo solidifies their rotation while the Braves have Prado and others to replace Johnson at second base. There has been rumors of a Ludwick for Johnson deal but Atlanta needs pitching more than a righthand hitter at this time. The Reds acquire the righthand hitter for the middle of the lineup and he can play LF. At the same time, the Reds free up additional payroll to maybe sign a veteran pitcher (preferably lefthanded) for the fourth or fifth spot in the rotation.

While many would not like to trade within the division, if it improves the Reds why care?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Re: Three-Way Trade Proposal

Another trade idea:

Jeff Burton to the Twins for OF Carlos Gomez.
    I hate to give Burton up with Weathers leaving and Affedt most likely too. But with the emergence of Denard Span, Gomez could be available and the Twins are looking for bullpen help. Burton comes at a cheap price.

You trade Burton and that means you'll have to shop the free agent market for at least two veteran relievers to set up Cordero. But Gomez still has a high upside and can cover alot of real estate in CF.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Why would the Cardinals trade Ryan Ludwick for Kelly Johnson? That's not gonna work.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Another trade idea:

I hate to give Burton up with Weathers leaving and Affedt most likely too. But with the emergence of Denard Span, Gomez could be available and the Twins are looking for bullpen help. Burton comes at a cheap price.

You trade Burton and that means you'll have to shop the free agent market for at least two veteran relievers to set up Cordero. But Gomez still has a high upside and can cover alot of real estate in CF.
    Is Jeff any relation to Jared? As for Gomez, not sure about that. He strikes out a lot, has a low OBP, and I am reluctant to trade one of our established relievers for Gomez. He may have a lot of upside, but I don't know if he will ever reach it. I think we could get as much if not better from Dickerson or Stubbs in the near future.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 11-15-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Another trade idea:

The Twins would never give up Gomez, and especially not for a NASCAR driver.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Hey Krusty, I was anticipating one of your "Slobberknocker" trade proposals but I'm sure your really big trade ideas are coming!

With regard to your three-way trade, I would do it but not until after a couple of sleepless nights wondering if the Reds have the starting pitching depth to deal Arroyo. If Walt Jocketty makes such a deal he has to be as sure as he can possibly be and reassured by Dr. Kremchek that Harang's strained right forearm will be limited to 2008 and not hurting once the '09 season begins. I seriously doubt St. Louis will trade Ludwick(great numbers & a low 2008 salary @ $411,000) unless it/he brings back someone like Jake Peavy. Don't know if Ryan Ludwig can be "THE GUY" and withstand the pressure of being the big HR/RBI man the Reds are looking for.

The second trade offer won't happen if we take Jocketty at his word and not trading his young pitchers. Gomez would be nice but in a nutshell, I keep Burton b/c of the unknown factor with the Reds FA relievers. Burton must stay here with the likely losses of Weathers and Affeldt to FA and Majewski getting the pink slip. I believe Mike Lincoln will return to the Reds.

Arroyo to Atlanta is a very interesting start. The Braves are looking for starting pitching, Arroyo is due a lot of money, and the Reds have a lot of young start pitching depth. As an added bonus for Arroyo, he would be much closer to Florida.

Unfortunately, the Braves probably don't have much that would interest the Reds. McCann is a pipe dream, and Yunel Escobar probably isn't going anywhere either. They've got a few intriguing prospects, but their best ones are still in the low minors. I just can't think of a trade that would interest both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Arroyo to Atlanta is a very interesting start. The Braves are looking for starting pitching, Arroyo is due a lot of money, and the Reds have a lot of young start pitching depth. As an added bonus for Arroyo, he would be much closer to Florida.

Unfortunately, the Braves probably don't have much that would interest the Reds. McCann is a pipe dream, and Yunel Escobar probably isn't going anywhere either. They've got a few intriguing prospects, but their best ones are still in the low minors. I just can't think of a trade that would interest both teams.
    Frenchie? He would make this board explode.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Frenchie? He would make this board explode.
    Nothing like an OBP challenged OF who strikes out in truckloads.

... and has horrible LHP vs RHP splits...

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post

Actually the Braves per the article the other day about the Peavy trade are disenchanted with Escobar and his fielding, or more specifically Bobby Cox is. So he probably could be had I just wonder if it's a trade we should make. Maybe an Escobar + for Arroyo deal would cut it. But I don't think the Braves could go wrong with Kelly Johnson to the W/Sox for Javier Vazquez.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I like the idea of trading a nascar driver for Gomez.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Is Kelly Johnson available? I'd do Arroyo for Johnson. And I've generally been against trading Arroyo.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Is Kelly Johnson available? I'd do Arroyo for Johnson. And I've generally been against trading Arroyo.
    It would certainly make Brandon Phillips very expendable to improve the Reds in other areas, if we stole Kelly Johnson for Bronson Arroyo from the Braves.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    It would certainly make Brandon Phillips very expendable to improve the Reds in other areas, if we stole Kelly Johnson for Bronson Arroyo from the Braves.
    That wouldn't be a steal. It would be a fairly even trade of an above average starting pitcher for an above average second baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    That wouldn't be a steal. It would be a fairly even trade of an above average starting pitcher for an above average second baseman.
    Yeah it might be even for 2009, but when you consider the ages of the players involved and the contracts of those players, I'd call it a steal.

Turn Off Ads?