Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Vy are you talking like that?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Vy are you talking like that?

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6241218

Foreign Accent Syndrome Gives Sufferers an International Sound
    People With the Condition Speak With Accents From Foreign Countries They Have Never Visited
    By ANDREA CANNING
    Nov. 13, 2008

CindyLou Romberg sounds like she could be from any number of exotic countries around the world. She sometimes rolls her "R"s like a Russian, chops syllables like a German or turns an unsuspecting "W" into a "V," like a Swede.
    One woman was diagnosed with a rare condition called foreign accent syndrome.

But Romberg is not Russian, German or Swedish. In fact, she has never even left her tiny hometown of Port Angeles, Wash.

Romberg suffers from what doctors call Foreign Accent Syndrome, or FAS, an extremely rare brain disorder that, as the name implies, causes its sufferers to speak as if they are from a foreign country.

"We'll be in the grocery store and someone will come up and say, 'Oh, you have a beautiful accent. Where are you from?'" Romberg told "Good Morning America."

The syndrome is likely related to an accident in 1981 when CindyLou suffered a depressed skull fracture after falling out of a moving truck, scientists say. She recovered from a severe brain injury, and spoke normally until just two years ago when she lost her voice for a couple of days after a visit with a chiropractor.
    Related

When her voice came back, it was not the one she had grown up with.

"She may have suffered a small episode of decreased blood supply to the brain during the manipulation that provided an additional injury, which led to the FAS," neuroscientist Julius Fridriksson said.

Fridriksson said that FAS comes from a trauma to the left side of the brain in an area responsible for speech.

Along with the foreign accents, Romberg has also dealt with an inability to say the names of her loved ones, including her daughter, Sadrianna.

Though the condition may be frustrating for Romberg, her husband Glenn told "GMA" he was more worried about her than about her voice.

"Once we figured out medically that there is nothing wrong with her, it's OK with me," he said. "I don't mind the voice at all."

But Romberg said she misses the voice she used to have, the voice that was a part of her.

"It's the voice I had for 49 years. It's the voice I'm used to. It's the voice that I said 'I do' to. It's the voice I spoke to my grandchildren with when they were first born," she said.

In the end, however, Romberg agreed with her husband.

"The most important thing is that you're healthy," she said. "When you look at the big scheme of things, this is a walk in the park."
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Vy are you talking like that?

Might be a good thing for her husband...

Foreign accents are typically sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Might be a good thing for her husband...

Foreign accents are typically sexy.
    The best woman is a woman who can't talk. The second best woman is a woman who can't speak English.

Ladies, I'm joking.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I met a guy with this one time. He sounded like he just arrived from Ireland and he said he'd only been out of Indiana a few times in his life. He'd had some sort of head trauma which I forget. I was fascinated by it.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

That might explain Madonna's development of a british accent recently, a head injury perhaps!
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    That might explain Madonna's development of a british accent recently, a head injury perhaps!
    She accidentally walked into a room where her music was playing! Hey-oh!

Madonna, I'm joking.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I knew a girl in college who had a pronounced British accent despite not being British or having spent much time in the UK. It was on purpose, though. She said she just grew up liking the way British people talked so she adopted it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?