Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlie Weiss alienates alumni and recruits

Charlie Weiss alienates alumni and recruits

The guy who once boasted he "could get hoodlums and thugs and win tomorrow" strolled into Jeannette High School in the spring of 2007 to recruit superstar quarterback Terrelle Pryor. Jeannette coach Ray Reitz knew a bit about Charlie Weis and his reputation. Still, he was stunned by what he describes as a level of conceit he never had seen from the dozens of college coaches he had visited with over the years.

Weis certainly made a lasting impression. "Arrogant as hell," Reitz said. When Reitz told Weis that Pryor might attend a USC quarterbacks camp, he remembers Weis replying: "Why send him there? If he's with me for one day he'll be good, two days he'll be great and three days he'll be incredible." Later, unprompted, Weis asked the Jeannette coaches if they wanted to take a picture of his Super Bowl ring. "I did it, just to be polite, and then gave [the picture] to one of the kids," Reitz recalled.

Everyone who comes into contact with Weis, it seems, has a story -- and they're rarely complimentary. Many former players and alums are down on him for what they perceive as his arrogance, but they're reluctant to speak for the record. Why? As one prominent alum explained it, "A lot of things at Notre Dame hinge on your being a friend of the university." Alumni are fearful that if they speak out against Weis, they might lose their football tickets or their parking spots, or hinder their kids' chances for admission to the school. Yet they paint a picture consistent with a coach who referred to himself as "an obnoxious, sarcastic guy from New Jersey" in a "60 Minutes" profile that aired in 2006.

Chicago Tribune

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Charlie Weiss alienates alumni and recruits

Notre Dame just about pulled off one of the biggest choke jobs in a long time. They had a 27-7 lead with about two minutes left and Navy come back and scored a TD, recovered an onside kick, scored again to make it 27-21 and then recovered yet another onside kick. Navy should have scored again as they had a receiver wide open for a TD and he fell down. ND holds on to win 27-21. I wouldn't be surprised to see Weis fired at the end of the season. On ESPN a few nights ago, Reese Davis asked Lou Holtz to grade Weis on his performance this season: Holtz gave him an A-. LOL.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 11-15-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The worst part about today is that Fat Charlie celebrated beating Navy.

That's right, Navy.

One of our military academies....

Sure, they beat ya last year Fat Charlie, but let's not get excited you beat them this year....

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

That's right, Navy.

Sure, they beat ya last year Fat Charlie, but let's not get excited you beat them this year....
    I can't believe I'm going to do this because I am no fan of Charlie Weis....but I really don't have a coach celebrating a win, even against Navy. It was a close game against a team that you lost to last year. His celebrating doesn't undermine the work of the Navy players its just him being happy his team won a tight game.

Ok now I can get back to hating all things Notre Dame.

Another Charlie Weis story that has become pretty popular:

The top O-Line recruit in the nation by Scout.com, Josh Jenkins, attended Parkersburg High and went on to play at WVU. He was recruited by pretty much everybody. I was at the Class AAA championship back last November and it was literally a Who's Who of college coaches. Jim Tressel was there I believe, so was Urban Meyer, and the O-Line coach at Florida State.

Charlie Weis, in his attempt to sell Jenkins to Notre Dame, and more or less told him "You can go to West Virginia and after you finish playing football, you can get a job anywhere in the state of West Virginia."

"...Or you can come to Notre Dame and get a job anywhere."

FWIW, Weis is right in regards to WVU vs Notre Dame academically. However, Jenkins wanted to stay closer to home and Weis came off as arrogant and Jenkins more or less crossed him off his list right then.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

WVU, you won't be able to find one coach of a big-tim program who won't say similar things.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    WVU, you won't be able to find one coach of a big-tim program who won't say similar things.
    I don't disagree, but it was the way that Weis came off when he did it. It also didn't help that Jenkins was from West Virginia either.

I'm not a WVU fan by any stretch, but I can't help but think when you grow up pulling for a team and that team is being considered, and another coach comes in and makes the comment above, that it isn't going to go very far.

Of the schools recruiting him though, I believe Notre Dame probably had the best academics to offer. The problem lies within the messenger, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I've met Charlie Weis. It was in SC, where he has often held his celebrity golf outing to support Hannah & Friends, a foundation named after his daughter who has autism.

The event takes place at the club where my parents live and I saw him with his entourage of coaches at Piggly Wiggly. He was at the deli, ordering things someone his size has no business eating. I was there too, and said hi and wished him well and good luck with the event. He acted like I was trying to take his pound and a half of sliced ham.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I love how he just walks around and asks people if they want to see his Super Bowl ring. Legit LOL stuff.
    Last edited by guttle11; 11-16-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I can't believe I'm going to do this because I am no fan of Charlie Weis....but I really don't have a coach celebrating a win, even against Navy. It was a close game against a team that you lost to last year. His celebrating doesn't undermine the work of the Navy players its just him being happy his team won a tight game.

Ok now I can get back to hating all things Notre Dame.
    He should be ashamed they lost to Navy last year, and he should be ashamed they won a close game to Navy this year.

Navy is horrible.

That'd be like the Reds going nuts over a walk off win vs the Kansas City Royals. You don't go nuts over a victory like that. You're more ashamed of it than anything else. It's a game you should win, and the fact that it's close is just embarrasing.

He should be ashamed they lost to Navy last year, and he should be ashamed they won a close game to Navy this year.

Navy is horrible.

That'd be like the Reds going nuts over a walk off win vs the Kansas City Royals. You don't go nuts over a victory like that. You're more ashamed of it than anything else. It's a game you should win, and the fact that it's close is just embarrasing.
    Using the Reds of this decade is a bad example....

Now if the Big Red Machine celebrated after a walk off over KC, that'd be a joke. But this edition of the Reds should celebrate a win over a high school team

That's right, Navy.

You stay classy highlifeman.

And for the record, for the fourth straight year Navy is bowl eligible. But don't let facts like the fact that they are actually competititve stop you from your intelligent rants.

And just for the record - Weis has had three straight top 10 recruiting classes, including last years Number 1 or 2 overall class (depending on the recruiting site) and already has a top 10 class appearance this year. So those recruiting tales speak more of BS than anything.

Now, if you wanna talk about Weis being arrogant - I concede. You wanna talk about Weis not being a great, or maybe even a good, coach, I would have a hard time arguing. You wanna hate on ND - fine. But at least use something of intelligence to back it up.

But hey, Fat Charlie, intelligent stuff
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Oh, and if you watched the game - it wasn't close. Notre Dame put all their second team in. A mistake - probably, but saying Notre Dame barely won, well, again, you didn't see the game.

It was a case of some calls going Navy's way (three 15 yard penalties against ND in the last 2 minutes, Navy getting 4 timeouts, a miscall on an onsides kick) and a case of ND once again not knowing how to go for a jugular and it almost biting them for the third time this year. Again, that goes back to Weis coaching and if it doesn't improve next year he's gone. But for now we take wins however we can get them.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Was there a more arrogant coach than Steve Spurrier when he was at Florida? Probably not. I don't think many UF fans cared all that much, would be my guess.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    You stay classy highlifeman.

And for the record, for the fourth straight year Navy is bowl eligible. But don't let facts like the fact that they are actually competititve stop you from your intelligent rants.

And just for the record - Weis has had three straight top 10 recruiting classes, including last years Number 1 or 2 overall class (depending on the recruiting site) and already has a top 10 class appearance this year. So those recruiting tales speak more of BS than anything.

Now, if you wanna talk about Weis being arrogant - I concede. You wanna talk about Weis not being a great, or maybe even a good, coach, I would have a hard time arguing. You wanna hate on ND - fine. But at least use something of intelligence to back it up.

But hey, Fat Charlie, intelligent stuff
    I agree about the Fat Charlie stuff, but the whole top rated class thing is just because Notre Dame fans want to have top rated classes and they buy lots of subscriptions to websites and lots of recruiting magazines IMO.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?