Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Buchholz

6 5.22%
  • Dallas Buck

4 3.48%
  • Zach Cozart

10 8.70%
  • Carlos Fisher

5 4.35%
  • Ryan Hanigan

4 3.48%
  • Chris Heisey

5 4.35%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

5 4.35%
  • Jeremy Horst

0 0%
  • Ben Jukich

0 0%
  • Sam Lecure

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

11 9.57%
  • Ramon Ramirez

22 19.13%
  • Josh Roenicke

27 23.48%
  • Adam Rosales

3 2.61%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

7 6.09%
  • Justin Turner

5 4.35%
  • Pedro Viola

1 0.87%
  • Brandon Waring

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #15 prospect?

I went Ramirez, past Roenicke who I vote for next time. I will give Dallas Buck, Evan Hildenbrandt, and Juan Carlos Sulbaran my next votes, and then I don't care about the ranking of the rest. I see the rest as either not enough info or not enough talent.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think you can take everyone left on the list and just rank them 15a, 15b, 15c etc. Any one of them could break out and any one of them could disappoint. Each has his own warts and own strengths to bring to the discussion. I just voted for the first guy listed as I have the last three or four rounds. I think it makes that much difference.

Maloney. results matter.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I'm still going with Ramon Ramirez. Maybe the 10th time picking him will be the charm.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Maloney. results matter.
    Results matter some. In the minors, they aren't the be all end all like they are in the majors.

Maloney. results matter.
    Maloney had a 4.68 ERA in 140 AAA innings this year.

If results matter, IMO Maloney isn't in the conversation at number 15 with Roenicke and Ramirez still on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Maloney had a 4.68 ERA in 140 AAA innings this year.

If results matter, IMO Maloney isn't in the conversation at number 15 with Roenicke and Ramirez still on the board.
    In Maloney's defense, his FIP was a bit better than that, sitting at 4.11.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In Maloney's defense, his FIP was a bit better than that, sitting at 4.11.
    So maybe we should say theoretical results matter.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Results matter some. In the minors, they aren't the be all end all like they are in the majors.
    And I believe he was injured a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So maybe we should say theoretical results matter.
    Lol maybe. I put more faith into FIP projecting forward than ERA, especially given that the player will be changing parks and defenses. Still though, I don't think either correlates all that well to future MLB performance.

Lol maybe. I put more faith into FIP projecting forward than ERA, especially given that the player will be changing parks and defenses. Still though, I don't think either correlates all that well to future MLB performance.
    Me too. But FIP is not results. Its kind of like showing your work on an exam (that was long, long time ago for me). You can still get some credit without getting the right answer or have credit removed for simply guessing correctly.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Maloney has had very good K rates at just about every level. Decent control, and solid advancement. I'd say he's ready to compete for a starting job in the rotation.

Maloney has had very good K rates at just about every level. Decent control, and solid advancement. I'd say he's ready to compete for a starting job in the rotation.
    Maloney's best chance would be in San Diego, San Francisco, or another big stadium. He is good at keeping guys off base, but allows a lot of long balls. 18 homers in 140 innings against AAA hitter last year.

Just to simplify, his homer rate translates to 27 homers allowed for 210 innings -- at the AAA level. Consider what that number would be at cozy GABP against major league hitters.

Yes, he strikes out some guys (8 plus per game last year, pretty decent for AAA) and walks relatively few. But the long ball has always been the issue and he hasn't as yet overcome this tendency.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-16-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Interesting comment about command/control since Ramirez had a 3.81 walk rate at AAA last year, quite a bit higher than Roenicke's 3.23. Roenicke also had a better strikeout rate, his was 9.92. (Ramirez 8.43). Roenicke allowed only 4 home runs in a full minor league season last year.

Ramirez' success last year was his low number of hits allowed, whether that was good fortune and good defense we'll find out presumably. Of the two, Roenicke is a better prospect IMO, has the frame and stuff to be a big time reliever. He got a late start, just a question of a bit more polish.

When you look at Roenicke's physical ability, frame, and success in the high minors, he projects better than many of the guys already selected and should be considered a top ten prospect in this system.
    I'm basing it more on what I seen at the big league level and admittedly didn't really look at the #'s too deeply. That said I will admit that the small sample of each I seen wasn't enough to make the best decision. But here's the rub IMO Ramirez has 2 solid pitches Roenicke just 1 to this point. So Roenicke's #'s are a function of using 1 dominating pitch on AAA guys, while Ramirez doesn't have that dominating pitch he has "pitched" his way to his #'s with 2 solid pitches.

Roenicke still has a far higher ceiling but until he can at least get 1 more pitch working for him he is what he is, a guy we have all seen before who has that dominating pitch, nothing to go with it and never finds it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Maloney's best chance would be in San Diego, San Francisco, or another big stadium. He is good at keeping guys off base, but allows a lot of long balls. 18 homers in 140 innings against AAA hitter last year.

Just to simplify, his homer rate translates to 27 homers allowed for 210 innings -- at the AAA level. Consider what that number would be at cozy GABP against major league hitters.

Yes, he strikes out some guys (8 plus per game last year, pretty decent for AAA) and walks relatively few. But the long ball has always been the issue and he hasn't as yet overcome this tendency.
    Harang gives up his fai share of HR's too. If you keep guys off base that doesn't hurt as much.

Turn Off Ads?