Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Chris Wells the best OSU back since Archie?

Re: Is Chris Wells the best OSU back since Archie?

I would submit that Eddie George had one HUGE advantage - Orlando Pace. that being said
    1. Byars
    2. Wells
    3. George
    4. Griffin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I don't understand your comment. At the time, they were only retiring numbers of Heisman winners. Eddie won the trophy, so they retired his number. Simple as that.
    I don't think Bill Willis or Chick Harley were Heisman winners? And Troy Smith will get his number retired?

My comment meant that Eddie George's excellent pro career contributed to him being viewed as a great player and also contributed to his number getting retired. If he would have been a pro dud, he might not have been viewed as such a great college player. All completely subjective and my opinion.

I think there were greater players over a 3-4 year span than George. Like John Hicks, Orlando Pace, Chris Spielman, Randy Gradishar, Jim Parker, and Bob Ferguson that might be more deserved of their number being retired. And maybe even guys like the present Jim Laurinaitis, Tom Cousineau, or Mike Doss.

Don't get me wrong, I love Eddie and I love what he meant to OSU football. I just think that getting your number retired from a storied institution as OSU football means a huge body of work. Eddie was pretty much his great senior year.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I don't think Bill Willis or Chick Harley were Heisman winners? And Troy Smith will get his number retired?
    Chick Harley played before they gave out awards but is the reason Ohio State football is Ohio State football.

Bill Willis did not win the Heisman but was the first African American to be awarded as an All American. He played both ways and became the first African American full time starter in the NFL.

All other reitred jerseys won the Heisman. And yes Troy will eventually have #10 retired.

If you are at home now and want to watch Archie run, the 74 UM/OSU game is on ESPN Classic (Bucks win 12-10)

I believe that Chris Wells is the most physically talented Ohio State running back since Archie Griffin. I believe that Chris Wells will go on to have a long, rewarding NFL career like Eddie. But...

The question really depends on how you measure it... in terms of hardware, no. (He could have had the trophy if it weren't for injuries.) In terms of titles, no. (Clearly not his fault, but even Clarett's 2002 team won the title.)

When Chris Wells is healthy and strong, I've seen very few NCAA running backs like him. He's built like a faster Jamal Lewis. He easily delivers the most punishing stiff arm in NCAA football. Can't wait to see what he does against those Wolverines...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If you are at home now and want to watch Archie run, the 74 UM/OSU game is on ESPN Classic (Bucks win 12-10)
    If you look closely, you can see a long-haired Roy and his 12 pack of Stroh's up on the C deck.

1974, ugh. Michigan State and Levi Jackson.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I'm a die-hard Penn State fan and even I know Archie was a great back. In fact when ESPN did their 25 greatest college football players of all time. Archie ranked 21st on the list.

I always thought Robert Smith had the most untapped talent. Dude could flat out run with the football. Unfortunately he never reached that potential due to his "philosphical" differences with the team and coaches.
    Maurice Clarrett Says hi. Seriously, If Mo had half the work ethic any of these other backs were talking about, He'd be up there for sure. We shall never know.
    Witty signature.

It is certainly hard to compare given the different things each have been asked to do and the different players that have played with them. But talent-wise I have to agree with BigggRedMachine - he may be the most talented all around combined with the physical gifts. If he would happen to stay and perform as expected next year, he certainly could be the best since Arch. My comments on the others (not necessarily in order):
    - Eddie - just over all a great college football player with very good size, toughness, and running-back ability; Maybe no single tool; stands out but no denying what he did on some dynamite offensive teams.
    - Keith - His last 2 years overlapped with my college days in Columbus, so I am very partial to him. Illinois game my freshman year is still the best performance I have ever seen. Actually met him at Tommy's when I came down to campus as HS senior and saw hime play years earlier in basketball state championship for the defunct Dayton Nettie Lee Roth HS. It sure was a shame he was hurt his senior year. That darn Flutie pass I swear cost him Heisman. He was a good pass catcher, very shifty, and strong. A senior year like his junior year and I think he would get my vote.
    - Clarett - tough to tell what coulda been, as he seemed to have that great "football ability" and a few more tools than Eddie had.
    - Robert Smith - was as smooth as smooth. DId not get to be on great teams and of course had the conflict with Uzelac (sp?). I still liked him quite a bit regardless of a stronger personality. Even bought his book (but then again I am a Buckeye through and though)
    - Carlos Snow - I had to add him even though obviously not the impact of the others being mentioned. A CAPE product along with Vinnie Clark, he seemed a threat any time he got the ball, and not in the "Ray-Small-I-think-he-should be able-to" kinda way but a more realistic "could-do-it-any-time" feeling. Short but fast and strong and could cut on a dime. My buddy ended up somehow holding his helmet after we rushed the field one game (he didn't take it originally!), and nearly panicked when he heard Carlos yelling for it! Again also during my "college career" so of course the influence of some fond memories is present....
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?