Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What was the best restaurant you ever ate at?

Re: What was the best restaurant you ever ate at?

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    The Refectory, Columbus, OH
    The wife had Roasted Monkfish
    I had the Guinea Hen
    We started it all with some fras gras (sp?)
    and I had a 12 yr Glen L, which, halfway through the drink, a fly swooped down and drowned himself in it, which was promptly replaced with 24yr at no cost. That made my night.
    Good work training that fly.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I

In 1999 the US average was 4.8 pounds of butter per person a year.
    Which sounds like alot until you realize the High Fructose Corn Syrup consumption is over 60 lbs per year.

A single 12-ounce can of soda has as much as 13 teaspoons of sugar in the form of high fructose corn syrup. And because the amount of soda we drink has more than doubled since 1970 to about 56 gallons per person a year, so has the amount of high fructose corn syrup we take in. In 2001, we consumed almost 63 pounds of it, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DGS24VKMH1.DTL

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Which sounds like alot until you realize the High Fructose Consumption is over 60 lbs per year,

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DGS24VKMH1.DTL
    Yep, processed food is a nightmare, that's one of the biggest reasons why I don't eat meat, mexican sodas have real sugar, so if I have one I try and have one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post

The best meal I had in 2008 (so far) was probably at Mario Batali's B and B bistro in the Venetian in Vegas.
    This place is fantastic as well. This is an easy 2nd for me behind Cut.

For those who like country food, The Old Mill and The Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee was the best when I was growing up.

I haven't been there in awhile, but I have heard both have went downhill.

ESPNZone is also pretty good if you watch the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I cook mostly with olive oil too, but still, if you go through a pound of butter in 6-8 weeks you are still eating butter, and not a supersmall amount of it either. and if you eat at a restaurant, you'd better believe that butter is in most dishes. They throw that stuff around like candy.
    Roger that- many, many steaks served in restaurants have a big pat of butter slapped on them. Then again, I have found that most restaurant food, even the good stuff, has a lot more fat and salt than what we cook at home.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Mama's Fish House- Maui, HI
    I was there this summer and was disappointed. I called it Mama's ripoff. Everyone who had been to Maui had raved about it but I found it lacking. The menu is unique but it is very overpriced.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Jiko at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I have had the Swahili Curry Shrimp - with East African Curry Sauce, Artichokes, and Coconut Rice which was fantastic. The last time I enjoyed Stuffed Piquillo Peppers - with Five Grain "Risotto" and Truffle Beurre Blanc (Vegetarian - i am not one, but it was too good to not order).

They also have a very nice selection of South African Wines. My wife and I really enjoy the Chocolate Block - a very nice blend.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I was there this summer and was disappointed. I called it Mama's ripoff. Everyone who had been to Maui had raved about it but I found it lacking. The menu is unique but it is very overpriced.
    Really? I'm surprised. Granted, I've only been twice and the last time was over six years ago.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    For those who like country food, The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee was the best when I was growing up.
    Still is the best, IMO. Went there for the first time a few years ago and swing over that way whenever I'm nearby, basically in that part of the state. The best home-style country food I've ever found.

Good lord, I'm so ghetto. My wife and I never go to fancy restaurants. Come to think of it, we almost never go to restaurants. Unless it's a favorite Vietnamese dive or something.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    For those who like country food, The Old Mill and The Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee was the best when I was growing up.

I haven't been there in awhile, but I have heard both have went downhill.

ESPNZone is also pretty good if you watch the price.
    I ate at the Apple Barn about four years ago, but I didn't find it to be anything special.
    One of my favorite places to eat is Christiana Campbell's tavern at Colonial Williamsburg and for one reason: sweet potato muffins. I think I could eat a couple of dozen at one sitting.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Sadly no more, Mary Mac's in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Good lord, I'm so ghetto. My wife and I never go to fancy restaurants. Come to think of it, we almost never go to restaurants. Unless it's a favorite Vietnamese dive or something.
    Same here. In some ways I wish I could get over that; even though I've started to cook a lot the last few years, I don't think I have the same appreciation for good food that a lot of people have. I don't even have a head for remembering the restaurants where I have eaten. Sure saves a crapload of money though.

I do like Terry's Surf and Turf near my house. It's a dive with disproportionately good food. I'm not even sure that's the name of it. There was an Italian restaurant near one of my old places in Brooklyn (not restaurant-Italian -- real Italian, with menus in Italian and mobsters at the bar) that I loved, and I'm not sure that even HAD a name.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Same here. In some ways I wish I could get over that; even though I've started to cook a lot the last few years, I don't think I have the same appreciation for good food that a lot of people have. I don't even have a head for remembering the restaurants where I have eaten. Sure saves a crapload of money though.

I do like Terry's Surf and Turf near my house. It's a dive with disproportionately good food. I'm not even sure that's the name of it. There was an Italian restaurant near one of my old places in Brooklyn (not restaurant-Italian -- real Italian, with menus in Italian and mobsters at the bar) that I loved, and I'm not sure that even HAD a name.
    You ever try Bella Luna's? The wife loves that place. They tend to have more authentic Italian dishes.

Turn Off Ads?