Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley

I was thinking about who could be one of the best candidates to be our right-handed bat next year, and I considered Milton Bradley. He had a truly outstanding year offensively last year in Texas. He finished 3rd in BA, 4th in slugging, 1st in OBP, and actually had 414 Abs. he made 5 million last year, but I have heard he is looking for 10 million and a multiyear contract. I think 2 years at 8 million, and an option for a third year would get it done.

Pros: He is a switch hitter, and a fearsome offensive bat. He also is in his early 30s, young for a FA.

Cons: He has primarily been a DH, and has had trouble staying healthy. You might need to put incentives in the contract based on how many games he plays.

I don't know much about his defensive skills, so any information on that front would be appreciated. Even if it is not stellar, his bat might offset it to some degree. He is a type B free agent, so we would only be giving up a supplemental pick if we signed him.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Milton Bradley

Not a bad guy to target, but his health issues concern me as does his attitude. I also think 2 years would be the max the Reds would want from him and I don't think that gets it done. I think he'll get at least 3-4 years.

isnt he the MLB version of Ron Artest

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Milton Bradley is one of the best targets out there.

... and IMO one of the more realistic ones too.

I guess if he signs here folks will love him like no other until he flips his lid like he's done time and time again.

he can't stay healthy, especially if he's running around the OF -- not a good risk to take

Bradley wants a "long term deal that pays me like one of the truly elite and if GMs come to me with a bunch of one or two year deals I may just get disgusted and quit baseball"

That's a paraphrase from a Dallas sportswriter. Toronto is very interested but if you can deal with his occasional temper tantrum, accept that he'll miss 30 or 40 games with some health issue and stroke his ego a bit in the pursuit I think you could get him for 3-4 years at 12-14 million per.

Tremendous hitter but is he worth that with all his baggage? Really I'm not dissing the idea because he is such a good hitter, just trying to be eyes open about what it would entail.

I would love to have him on the Reds. He's very, very good.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Kevin Mitchell was a wacko too.

Bradley doesn't quite have Mitch's power, but I love him as a hitter. I just don't think it would be a good risk considering his demands.

Geesh, would he look good in the Reds lineup, though.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Bradley wants a "long term deal that pays me like one of the truly elite and if GMs come to me with a bunch of one or two year deals I may just get disgusted and quit baseball"

That's a paraphrase from a Dallas sportswriter.
    That's understandable to some extent, especially since Texas was only willing to offer a 1 year deal after the season he had. Teams are reluctant to offer more than 2 years because of his past injury history, and his quote should be put in that context. I still think he would be a good signing.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    That's understandable to some extent, especially since Texas was only willing to offer a 1 year deal after the season he had. Teams are reluctant to offer more than 2 years because of his past injury history, and his quote should be put in that context. I still think he would be a good signing.
    I don't think anyone's gonna front him the kinda cash and years he thinks he deserves.

Not with this economy, and the reputation that precedes him.

I could just see him crumbling in a big media center like New York. He'd fold like a card table under that scrutiny.

L.A. is a big enough place. Look what happened there.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

pass. an egomaniac who is a 'head case'. oh yeh, he also can't stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Daunte Culpepperish
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

LA should sign Bradley for a third of what they've offered Manny and use the rest of the money on Ryan Dempster and Orlando Hudson.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He is a type B free agent, so we would only be giving up a supplemental pick if we signed him.
    So tell me, how does a team give up a supplemental pick????

Turn Off Ads?