1 1.67%
  • Hanley Ramirez

1 1.67%
  • someone else

3 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NL MVP

NL MVP

sorry but I didn't have time to organize all the stats. vote for your favorite.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NL MVP

if you vote for someone else post who it would've been. since it's soooooo slow feel free to debate the merits of the candidates. mlb will announce their winner on monday 11/17.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Pujols, without thinking twice. Howard wasn't even the best player on his team, let alone his own league.

Someone else... And I'll never tell!
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

I'll take Pujols.

Albert Pujols without a doubt. He had a 1.115 OPS and a massive 190 OPS+. The man was a machine this year. It is so fun to watch this guy destroy pitching, although I could do without him killing the reds . He is also a plus fielder on defense and I am drooling now just thinking about Pujols. He was so good it was unbelieveable.
    Baseball is not necessarily an obsessive-compulsive disorder, like washing your hands 100 times a day, but it's beginning to seem that way. We're reaching the point where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. ~Thomas Boswell

Having a life is overrated.

Ramirez meant more to the Dodgers in half a season than any of those players for a full season. ManRam deserves it.
    Who's on first?

I accidentally click Howard, would've voted Pujols.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7
    Check out my Reds blog! Hit me up with any advice on it at anytime, it's always appreciated.
    http://redscheatsheet.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Someone else... And I'll never tell!

i voted for pujols although i was tempted to pick wright. i'm impressed by the season wright had at a position where you don't usually see those type of mvp like #'s. but pujols....

a career best 1.115 ops that led the NL*
    190 adjusted ops (1st)
    .653 slg % (1st*)
    .462 on base % (2nd)
    hit .357 (2nd*)
    342 total bases (1st)
    160 runs created (1st)
    81 extra base hits (2nd),
    career best 34 intentional walks (1st),
    14.2 at bats/hr (3rd)
    104 walks (2nd),
    but only 54 k's
    100 runs,
    44 doubles (4th),
    37 hr(4th),
    116 rbi(4th)

throw in 7 sb and solid defense and the man was/is just incredible. and i expected him to miss time cuz of his elbow.
    * see manny below

fwiw, the rest of my top 5 would be:
    2) wright: top 5 in runs, rbi, walks, hits, total bases, runs created & sac flies; top 10 in doubles, hr, batting average, ops, on base %, adjusted ops, extra base hits. throw in 15 sb and solid defense.

3) utley: top 5 in runs, runs created, extra base hits, x hit by pitch; top 10 in doubles, hr, ops, slg %, hits, total bases, adjusted ops, sac flies, ibb. throw in 104 rbi, 14 sb and solid defense.

4) manny: batting average, slg %, and ops actually beat pujols and definitely helped LA but with only 53 games in the NL compared to 148 and subpar defense ... just like sabathia you can point out that he had no control over when he was traded but if he had been dealt in mid june instead of late july he would've had a better shot.

5) berkman: his september stats really hurt him (.171 batting avg and .632 ops in 76 abs) but he was a beast the 1st half of the season (79 runs, 22 hr, 73 rbi, 15 sb, .347 batting avg and 1.096 ops). still finished the season top 5 in battin avg, on base %, slg %, ops, runs, doubles, walks, adjusted ops, runs created, extra base hits, ibb, and top 10 in total bases & rbi.

throws 106. NBD.

Pull-Holtz

I went with Howard, the team around him is obviously stacked but he is a RBI machine and when it is time to perform he does. I know there is supposedly no such thing as being clutch in baseball, but Ryan Howard is pretty close. Over the last 2 years Howard has had 282 RBI's, thats only 16 fewer than the mighty Dunn has had over the last 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    I went with Howard, the team around him is obviously stacked but he is a RBI machine and when it is time to perform he does. I know there is supposedly no such thing as being clutch in baseball, but Ryan Howard is pretty close. Over the last 2 years Howard has had 282 RBI's, thats only 16 fewer than the mighty Dunn has had over the last 3 years.
    Howard also had a combination of Jimmy Rollins, Jayson Werth, Shane Victorino and Chase Utley hitting in front of him, If Dunn had that then who knows what kind of numbers he could have been producing. Ryan Howard has a Career line of .279/.380/.590 which is a monstrous OPS of .970 . With RISP howard has a line of .282/.427/.582 1.009 which is very good, but I would not call him "clutch" because those numers pretty much are indicitive of Ryan Howard as a hitter overall. His regular OPS is very good, so there is no reason to think his OPS with RISP would differ by any significant margin. Adam Dunn has a career line of .247/.381/.518 .899 so while he is a very productive hitter, he is not as good as Howard, so naturally Howard can be expected to amass more RBIs. Dunn has a line of .225/.416/.474 .890 with RISP so he is also very good in the clutch and those numbers are also right in line with Dunn's career averages. All in all, I would say that, yes, Ryan Howard is a better hitter than Adam Dunn and therefore more "clutch" , but the biggest difference is the hitters that Howard had in front of him. Because Howard hits in a very good lineup, he gets more opportunities to get RBIs and because he had more opportunities than Dunn he was able to get more RBIs than Dunn.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi...gi?n1=dunnad01
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi...i?n1=howarry01
    Last edited by Emin3mShady07; 11-17-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: sources
    Baseball is not necessarily an obsessive-compulsive disorder, like washing your hands 100 times a day, but it's beginning to seem that way. We're reaching the point where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. ~Thomas Boswell

Pujols wins. He had 18 of 32 first place votes.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Howard should win hands down, it's laughable if he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Howard should win hands down, it's laughable if he doesn't.
    How can you say that? Howard wasn't even the most productive hitter on his own team. Utley had a 135 OPS+ and Howard had a 124 OPS+ (Pujols's was a colossal 190). Pujols was the best player by far in the National League (And the Majors).

Turn Off Ads?