Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: #19 UC vs. #20 Pitt - Major Big East Championship Implications

Re: #19 UC vs. #20 Pitt - Major Big East Championship Implications

Katzowitz on Barwin:

http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/bl...112008aaa.html

Connor Barwin sat on a bench on the Nippert Stadium turf after football practice a few weeks ago and leaned back. He looked comfortable, and he wasn’t eager to leave anytime soon. Just sit there in his sweaty pads and talk the dusk away.

He was reflecting on his former basketball career and how much he’d love to play in the NFL next season. He thought back to Andy Kennedy, and he talked about how accomplished he felt to play two sports at the Division I level at a BCS school.

A few years back, he probably wouldn’t have thought about what his football future held. He wasn’t going to be sitting here on a bench talking about his prospects. Instead, he was going to play on the hardwood.

“I thought I was going to be a basketball player in high school,” said Barwin, who attended the University of Detroit Jesuit High School. “That didn’t work out. But the summer before my senior year, my football coach said I could definitely play college football. I put basketball aside, and I took football serious.”

Good thing for Barwin he made the switch. After his first four games as a senior high school player, a number of Mid-American Conference schools had offered him scholarships. Considering he hadn’t played as a sophomore because of a broken collarbone and had been suspended for half the year his junior season – mostly because he had accepted a car ride during a walk-a-thon fundraiser – this was a revelation to Barwin.

But he wanted more than to play for a mid-major program. He wanted the big-time.

“A lot of the bigger schools get their offers out when you’re a junior, so they were already done recruiting. That’s what I like to think anyway,” said Barwin with his typical good humor. “Coach (Mark) Dantonio saw my tape, and two days after he saw it, they called and offered me a scholarship. It was the biggest school I could go to, and I always thought I would go to the biggest school I could.”

His basketball career, though, was finished. Or so he thought. He was a football player now.

But after former basketball coach Bob Huggins was dismissed and with interim coach Andy Kennedy desperate to fill out his roster, Barwin was invited to join the Bearcats basketball team.

He happily accepted, and in his first season as a reserve forward, he averaged nearly 10 minutes per game. His highlight of the year might have occurred when the Bearcats faced Pitt, and Barwin scored a career-high six points while recording a pair of rebounds and a blocked shot in 19 minutes of action.

For Barwin, it was an unreal experience.

“It probably never would have happened if Huggins hadn’t gotten fired and Armein Kirkland hadn’t gotten hurt,” Barwin said. “It was a huge blessing and opportunity.”

After UC hired Mick Cronin to run the basketball program, Barwin remained on the roster. As desperate as Kennedy was to have an extra body, it was imperative Cronin take anybody he could get. So, Barwin stayed on for another season and he averaged 1.2 points and 1.4 rebounds per game.

How important was Barwin? In the last eight games of that season, he averaged 15.7 minutes per contest.

“I am so happy I did it,” Barwin said. “It was probably one of the coolest things I had done in college. I know it probably wouldn’t have happened if I went anywhere else. It was a huge blessing and a lot of luck.”

Well, maybe not as much luck as he thinks. Before Kennedy and his coaching staff departed the basketball office to move on with the next phase of their respective careers, assistant Frank Martin – now the head coach at Kansas State – told Barwin that he, in fact, could have played for Huggins. That Huggins would have really liked to have him on the team.

“I thought I could play at this level,” Barwin said. “If I didn’t play college football, I could have played basketball at this level and been a solid walk-on if I would have dedicated everything to it. But I would have been what I was – an energy guy for 5-10 minutes a game.”

Better, then, he stick to football, a sport in which he could make big money next year playing in the NFL.

Last year, Barwin was a part of the tight end rotation, but he wasn’t a standout. He was solid, recording 31 catches for 399 yards and two touchdowns, but with other tight ends in the mix this season – including Kazeem Alli, Ben Guidugli and Adrien Robinson – coach Brian Kelly had other plans for him.

Instead of using his athleticism for a position where blocking receives more of the focus, Kelly wanted to move Barwin to the other side of the ball and let him roam free. Considering the Bearcats were losing defensive ends Angelo Craig and Anthony Hoke to graduation, Kelly needed a fast player with loads of stamina to replace them while trying to hunt down the opposing quarterback.

In spring ball, when Barwin was trying to acclimate to his new position, offensive lineman Khalil El-Amin could see the positive results of the switch.

“Connor Barwin is an outstanding athlete,” El-Amin said last April. “If you put that guy anywhere on the field, he can play that position. He’s big, strong and fast. He has a motor. He just doesn’t stop. A lot of guys, you wear on them throughout practice and games. Connor is going to be that guy who has the same amount of energy that he had in the first quarter.”

He’s put that energy to good use so far this season.

In one of the more impressive plays in a season full of them, Barwin found himself in a foot race with West Virginia quarterback Pat White during the Nov. 8 contest in Morgantown. It was a former tight end vs. a signal-caller that might be the most-feared player in the Big East because of his ability to make plays with his feet.

As White attempted to cut to the outside, turn a corner and blow past the UC defense, Barwin chased him down early in the fourth quarter of the Bearcats 26-23 overtime victory. Officials penalized Barwin for tackling White with an illegal horsecollar, but that didn’t diminish the impressiveness of the play.

“His motor is unbelievable,” Kelly said. “He chased down Pat White. That’s a hard guy to chase down. There’s not a lot of people in the country that can chase him down. His stock is going through the roof in terms of what he can do for us. I know there are a lot of NFL people that wished he wasn’t playing so well right now.”

When Kelly grades out his players, he assigns them each a number between 1-4. If you’re a 1, you’re a guy who isn’t playing well. If you’re a 2, you’re a guy who’s giving good effort but not on a consistent level. If you’re a 3, you’re playing at an all-conference level and you represent the program in a positive way. If you’re a 4, you’re a 3 that has the added ability to make your teammates better.

In Kelly’s two years at UC, Barwin is his first 4. That is the impact Barwin has made on this team this season – even while learning a new position.

Not bad for a mid-major basketball player.

“All of it,” Barwin said, “has definitely been worth it.”
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 11-21-2008 at 09:11 AM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Koch on Goodman:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...311200088/1064

Dominick Goodman won a state championship as the quarterback at Colerain High School in 2004, rushing for a state title-game record of 259 yards with four touchdowns, but he knew he wouldn’t be playing quarterback at the University of Cincinnati.

When he arrived at UC in the summer of 2005, he was just another freshman trying to get on the field, and in his case, trying to do it while learning a new position.

“I was just thinking about playing football and getting an education,” he said.

Goodman certainly never envisioned that one day his teammates would call him “The Wizard” because of his uncanny ability to make catches that appear almost impossible to execute.

“The plays he makes and what he does after the play, some of it is magic,” said UC quarterback Tony Pike.

He never would have declared that he would become one of the greatest receivers in UC history and still hesitates to put himself in that class.

But four years later, the 6-foot-1, 210-pound senior wide receiver has tied Jim O’Brien (1967-69) for the most career touchdown passes at UC with 21 and stands within reach of the school records for receptions and yardage, both of which are owned by LaDaris Vann (1999-2002).

He needs 197 yards to break Vann’s record of 2,483 and 22 catches to surpass Vann’s total of 204.

Goodman finds the nickname amusing.

“They’ve been calling me that for a while now,” he said. “It’s kind of funny. I guess it’s because of the catches I make sometimes. People don’t believe how I catch them. I surprise myself a lot when I watch the film and see how I catch some passes. It’s just nothing but focus and thinking about the ball first and nothing else.”

During that first year at UC, Goodman worked hard on learning how to run precise routes, receiving plenty of advice from Derek Ross, who led the Bearcats in receptions that season.

He then picked up where Ross left off. He has led UC for the last two years and is the Bearcats’ leading receiver again this season with 63 catches – which rank second in the Big East - for 802 yards and six touchdowns.

Goodman learned to focus on the ball at an early age when his father, Don, who played fullback at UC in 1982 and 1983, threw errant passes to him in their driveway.

“I figured if he could catch the bad ones, he’d be able to catch the good ones,” Don Goodman said.

Dominick was a tight end and linebacker back then before moving to quarterback in middle school. At Colerain, his speed, elusiveness and keen judgment with the ball made him the ideal quarterback for the triple option the Cardinals employed so efficiently.

But those skills didn’t translate as well into the pro-style offense that UC ran, so then-head coach Mark Dantonio moved him to wide receiver, where he’s been a fixture ever since.

Goodman has benefited this year from Mardy Gilyard’s development into a top-flight receiver in his own right with 48 catches, including eight for touchdowns.

“If they want to role the coverage to Mardy Gilyard and try to double him, Goody gets one-on-coverage,” said UC head coach Brian Kelly. “Earlier in the year, before Mardy started to make some plays, (Goodman) was getting the double coverage and Mardy was one-on-one. It’s kind of pick your poison.”

Kelly praises Goodman’s hands and his body control, but he says those aren’t the only elements that make him such a good receiver.

“He’s a winner,” Kelly said. “Whenever he’s been in a competitive environment, he just wins, whether it be here or as the high school quarterback at Colerain.”

Despite Goodman’s nickname, the only thing flashy about him is the way he catches the ball. He has never stopped quietly working hard in practice and is so diligent that Kelly uses him as an example to the younger players.

The other day, on a very cold afternoon, Goodman was diving on the Nippert Stadium turf to catch passes. When Kelly saw sophomore Armon Binns not making the same effort, he referred him to Goodman.

“I said, ‘Look, Goody’s on the turf half the time,” Kelly said. “And look what it’s done for him.”

Goodman shares a lot of similarities with his dad, from his practice habits to his reluctance to talk about himself.

Don Goodman, who played on the 1983 UC team that upset Penn State, always believed that talk is cheap and that if you let your actions speak for you, you’ll get a lot more respect.

But he’s not shy about discussing his son and the hand he has had in moving UC so close to the Big East championship.

“It’s great, to see how far it’s come,” he said of the UC program. “And to see my son playing, it’s even a greater feeling.”
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    he should have thrown the game so that the Big East looks better and WVU fans are happy. You're crazy man.
    YEP! Not for WVU fans to be happy but for Big East credibility and the money the conference would have received. Selfish move on his part not looking at the big picture. Before last year I would have said the exact same thing about WVU if the situation were reversed and Pitt could have gone for the National title. I actually cheered for Vick and VPI in 1999 when they went to the National Championship, and Tech is a team that at the time I hated more than anybody.

I think about what is best for the conference.

If you're going to the UC game, whatever you do, don't park at any of the shopping centers around UC. Particularly the Kroger/Blockbuster/RiteAid lot. They will tow you.

They have quite the little cottage industry of towing *everyone* out of the lot and it costs you a tidy bundle to get your car back. I got towed back in 2002 from a UC hoops game and it cost $110 to get my car (plus cab fare). It's no fun.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    I actually cheered for Vick and VPI in 1999
    You cheered for them against WV?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    You cheered for them against WV?
    No I cheered for them in the National Championship because they were a Big East team.

No I cheered for them in the National Championship because they were a Big East team.
    Well, that's a little different than what you were proposing the Wanny and Pitt do. I'm sure all Big East fans (probably even Pitt fans) would have cheered for WV if they had been playing Ohio State in New Orleans.

YEP! Not for WVU fans to be happy but for Big East credibility and the money the conference would have received. Selfish move on his part not looking at the big picture. Before last year I would have said the exact same thing about WVU if the situation were reversed and Pitt could have gone for the National title. I actually cheered for Vick and VPI in 1999 when they went to the National Championship, and Tech is a team that at the time I hated more than anybody.

I think about what is best for the conference.

Yes, how selfish of him to try and get a win for his players that worked so hard all season, and how selfish of him to try and save his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Yes, how selfish of him to try and get a win for his players that worked so hard all season, and how selfish of him to try and save his job.
    dude they had a 4-7 record...what was one more win going to mean?

Can we get back onto a postive note please?

The game's less than a day away, and I'm pumped!

Does anybody think we should rush the field if we win?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    No. Act like we've been there before. Besides, it's against Big East rules.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I'm very excited about the game but I'll be watching from the comfort of my family room. I've been sick this week and I didn't want to risk getting sick again by being outside for a long time tomorrow night. Go Bearcats!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Go get them, Cats....this win puts this program into the next level....and accomplishes something I don't think anybody ever thought UC football would ever do...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Can't wait. Heading down around 3 or 4 to tailgate with some guys at the law school, then heading in for the game. Everyone be sure to wear your RED.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Can we get back onto a postive note please?

The game's less than a day away, and I'm pumped!

Oh hell yeah you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?