NFL Picks: Week 12

www.edkleese.blogspot.com

NFL Week Twelve Picks, Pats, and Apologies

Last Week: 10-5-1
    Season: 107-52-1
    Record Picking Redskins Games: 5-5
    Against the Spread: 21-20-2
    Lock of the Week: 5-5-1

Last Week's Pats: Finally got back on track with my Lock of the Week. Not only did I pick the Broncos to cover the spread in Atlanta, but I also correctly picked them to win the game outright. Also predicted that the Raiders would cover in Miami and that the Cowboys would beat the Redskins...oh wait......

Last Week's Apologies: Once again, I changed a pick at the last minute and failed. For the second week in a row, it was the Redskins who burned me. So, no, officially, I did not pick the Cowboys to win and I must include them in my list of apologies. Also, the Titans are really beginning to make me look stupid. I keep picking them to lose their first, and they keep winning.

This Week's Picks:

Cincinnati at Pittsburgh: If it ends in a tie, at least the players will understand why-- or at least they should. It won't end it a tie.

Steelers 30, Bengals 14

Philadelphia at Baltimore: Memo to Donovan McNabb: A touchdown is worth 6 points. A field goal is worth 3 points. A safety is worth 2 points. Ah, forget it. I like the Ravens in an ugly one.

Ravens 16, Eagles 13

Houston at Cleveland: I had the Texans pegged as a wild card before the season. At 3-7, I don't think I'm going to be correct. Brady Quinn seems to have injected some life into the once lifeless Browns.

Browns 27, Texans 20

San Francisco at Dallas: As a Redskins fan, I have the sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach that the Cowboys win in Washington last week is going to propel them to a strong finish. The 49ers are playing harder thesedays, but I don't think they can score enough to pull the upset here.

Cowboys 24, 49ers 13

Tampa Bay at Detroit: Every once in awhile, a man must live on the wild side. I am a perfect 10-0 predicting Lions games this year. I aim to remain perfect.

Lions 19, Bucs 16

Minnesota at Jacksonville: Two poorly coached teams; the Jags are falling apart, but I'm not sure the Vikings can take advantage. Toss a coin on this one.

Jaguars 20, Vikings 17

Buffalo at Kansas City: Dick Jaraun's ultimate conservatism may have cost the Bills a pivotal game on Monday night. Why do you "settle" for a 47 yard field goal, when one completion could potentially make it a gimmie kick? That was a horrible loss for the Bills, but I'll say they find a way in Kansas City this week.

Bills 21, Chiefs 19

New England at Miami: A little payback headed Miami's way?

Patriots 26, Dolphins 17

Chicago at St. Louis: The Rams are just what the doctor ordered for a reeling Bears team. Looks to me like St. Louis has flat out quit.

Bears 28, Rams 14

New York Jets at Tennessee: OK, Titans, I get it...you're really good.

Titans 20, Jets 13

Oakland at Denver: Looked for awhile there like Denver was going to collapse. But two very solid road wins have them looking like the clear cut favorites to win the pathetic AFC West. Things don't get much easier than a home game against the Raiders.

Broncos 34, Raiders 20

Carolina at Atlanta: The Panthers are about as unimpressive 8-2 team as I've ever seen. Jake Delhomme has been absolutely putrid the past two weeks, yet the Panthers managed to win boths game against dreadful opponents. Take a look at Carolina's remaining schedule: You can make an argument against them in all six games. This is more important for the Panthers than it appears on paper. But I don't like what I've seen the past few weeks.

Falcons 27, Panthers 20

New York Giants at Arizona: Think about this for a minute: If the Cardinals win, they will only need to make up ONE more game on the Giants in order to secure homefield advantage throughout the NFC playoffs. The Cardinals as the #1 seed? Really? I'm not quite ready to process that.

Giants 27, Cardinals 24

Washington at Seattle: With Giants-Cardinals and Panthers-Falcons taking place at the same time, I pity those that are stuck watching this one. The Redskins are circling the toilet bowl right now, and with a loss, the Seahawks could flush them away for good. But here's a vote for the Redskins defense to win this one for Washington.

Redskins 20, Seahawks 17

Indianapolis at San Diego: I really like what I see from the Colts right now; their offense is starting to click. It does make me nervous that this is such a desperation game for the Chargers, but the Colts should be motivated to avenge their playoff loss last season. Look for Indy to throw some dirt on the Chargers season.

Colts 29, Chargers 24

Green Bay at New Orleans: This game probably represents the Saints last realistic gasp at a playoff berth. But the Packers defense appears healthier and the offense got rolling against the Bears last week. Going with a mild upset here.

Packers 30, Saints 26

4 To Score

Lock of the Week:

Steelers (-10) vs. Bengals: I just don't see how the Bengals will move the ball

2. Lions (+9) vs. Bucs: Much like my Raiders pick last week, don't ask why.
    3. Ravens (even) vs. Eagles: Not liking what I see from the Eagles at all right now.
    4. Packers (+3) at Saints. Picking Green Bay to win outright, so I like getting the points.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NFL Picks: Week 12

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    www.edkleese.blogspot.com

Lock of the Week:

Steelers (-10) vs. Bengals: I just don't see how the Bengals will move the ball
    No lie, don't think I'll even watch it will be painful!

(actually I probably will - but it will still hurt)
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Not that it would have really mattered for tonight's game but good old Ocho Cinco will be deactivated tonight.

Hope people got the bets in at -10, it's go up to -11 or more before the game.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm actually not making the drive to Detroit to see the Bucs play because I'm certain they're going to lose the game.

Detroit has been a house of horrors for the Bucs since I've been a fan -- from the old days of the NFC Central where Barry Sanders ran over them year after year, to the Halloween Meltdown (featuring Eric Zeire's one and only start in Tampa) in 1999 and then again last year at Ford Field (where they lost to a similarly awful Lions team).

I have zero faith in the team this week.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    No lie, don't think I'll even watch it will be painful!

(actually I probably will - but it will still hurt)
    I will. I like comedies.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm actually not making the drive to Detroit to see the Bucs play because I'm certain they're going to lose the game.

Detroit has been a house of horrors for the Bucs since I've been a fan -- from the old days of the NFC Central where Barry Sanders ran over them year after year, to the Halloween Meltdown (featuring Eric Zeire's one and only start in Tampa) in 1999 and then again last year at Ford Field (where they lost to a similarly awful Lions team).

I have zero faith in the team this week.
    Normally, I make my picks like this: Someone has a gun to my head, make a pick. I do my best not get overly "cute" or wild.

I made an exception this week. If someone had a gun to my head, you better belive I'd pick the Bucs. But here was my thinking: 0-16 isn't possible, is it? They have to win sometime...their schedule doesn't provide much hope for that. Are they gonna beat the Titans on Thanksgiving? I mean, c'mon.

I respect the Bucs, I really do. But they came VERY close to blowing a game against a bad KC team on the road two weeks ago, and Tampa is generally a much better team at home...more so than most.

I could just see Detroit keeping it close and the Bucs really messing one up this week. So, I picked it. If I get it right, I'll look like a genius. If I get it wrong, I'll look like the jackass that picked an 0-10 team to beat a 7-3 team.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I will. I like comedies.
    It's the beauty of the NFL: There are very few games that simply aren't worth watching. They only play 16, and technically, this game DOES have playoff implications-- only for one team of course, but I've always felt that team like the Bengals could motivate themselves by taking the approach that could still factor in the playoff picture...even if it's just by hurting someone else.

Honestly, the tie with the Eagles was a GREAT help to my Redskins and other teams competing for playoff spots in the NFC. I watched that 4th quarter and OT with great interest, even though it was a sickening display of football.

I'm a fan of an NFC team that has ZERO rooting interest in this game involving a 1-8-1 football team, yet I'll be watching. It's just the way of the NFL.

It wasn't QUITE as bad as I thought it would be.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Turn Off Ads?