Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Buchholz

7 6.36%
  • Dallas Buck

4 3.64%
  • Zach Cozart

16 14.55%
  • Carlos Fisher

6 5.45%
  • Ryan Hanigan

3 2.73%
  • Chris Heisey

9 8.18%
  • Sean Henry

1 0.91%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

2 1.82%
  • Jeremy Horst

0 0%
  • Ben Jukich

0 0%
  • Sam Lecure

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

9 8.18%
  • Ramon Ramirez

31 28.18%
  • Adam Rosales

3 2.73%
  • Juan Carlos Sulbaran

9 8.18%
  • Justin Turner

5 4.55%
  • Pedro Viola

1 0.91%
  • Brandon Waring

1 0.91%
  • Travis Wood

3 2.73%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #16 prospect?

Ramon Ramirez. I think he will be our #5 starter next year, and a good one. He was the only #5 we had last year who performed well at that role.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Shunick, age 21, Rookie ball: 9.0 K/9, 1.6 BB/9
    Fisher, age 22, Rookie ball: 7.5 K/9, 3.1 BB/9

Herrera's inability to pitch in the majors didn't seem to bother him while he was sitting down the heart of the World Champs' order.

Why can't Fisher be dominant in the bigs? I don't know, why wasn't he dominant as a 25 year old in AA?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It's simple--secondary stuff. As far as I know he doesn't have that offspeed pitch to keep hitters off-balance for his power sinker. I don't believe he will get enough swings and misses with that sinker. I'm not saying he can't become a good reliever, just that he won't be a relief ace (one of the 30 best relievers in MLB)...
    I think you are severely underestimating the offspeed stuff of Fisher. I will see what I can track down of him pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Shunick, age 21, Rookie ball: 9.0 K/9, 1.6 BB/9
    Fisher, age 22, Rookie ball: 7.5 K/9, 3.1 BB/9

Herrera's inability to pitch in the majors didn't seem to bother him while he was sitting down the heart of the World Champs' order.

Why can't Fisher be dominant in the bigs? I don't know, why wasn't he dominant as a 25 year old in AA?
    Fisher in rookie ball was still in his first full season EVER as a pitcher. He used to be an infielder and switched to pitcher in college. His age compared to level doesn't really tell you the story at all.

Doug, answer me this. Between Ramirez and Fisher:

Who has a higher ceiling?

Who has a higher floor?
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 11-18-2008 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Doug, answer me this. Between Ramirez and Fisher:

Who has a higher ceiling?

Who has a higher floor?
    I think Ramirez has a higher ceiling, but that he won't sustain his ceiling for very long.

I think their floors are similar, with Fisher just a little higher.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think Ramirez has a higher ceiling, but that he won't sustain his ceiling for very long.

I think their floors are similar, with Fisher just a little higher.
    Why don't you think he will sustain it? From everything I saw last year, Ramirez looks to be a good BOR starter for a while. His age works against him, but I still think he could help the Reds for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Why don't you think he will sustain it? From everything I saw last year, Ramirez looks to be a good BOR starter for a while. His age works against him, but I still think he could help the Reds for a while.
    Being 6'0 and 160 pounds works against him being a starter for a prolonged period of time without breaking down.

Cozart.

Guys who can actually stick at SS in the big leagues defensively and haven't completely eliminated themselves from ever making it with the stick don't grow on trees. Prefer those to middle relievers, interchangeable back-end guys or tweeners who may show a little more with the bat but can't find a suitable position. Cozart should be in the top 10.

As for the pitcher debate, I have Ramirez at 13, Fisher at 14 and Maloney at 15. I agree with Doug though, that Fisher is likely to have the longest career in his role. Ramirez nips him by a hair based on having a successful cup of coffee in the major leagues and the possibility that he could be a desirable piece in a deal for some team looking for young starter candidates.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed07 View Post
    I'm going with a prospect who has done nothing but produce on the field every year. He has a better career batting avg than #5 prospect Valaika.
    He has put up better numbers in the AFL this year. If Valaika stats put him in the Top 5, Turners stats should put him in the Top 20 and I'm voting for him again at #16.
    His career stats are:
    Code:
    Avg   OBP   SLG     OPS
    .310  .377  .445   .822 (Turner)
    .306  .357  .467   .824 (Valaika)
    excellent argument

Hildenbrandt. I like Fisher and Ramirez, though I suspect Ramirez's niche will also ultimately be the pen. For that reason I like Fisher a little better; I also find the argument for Turner pretty strong, though I suspect Buchholz has a chance to be better in the long run. But starting pitching is more important than any other single commodity: thus Hildenbrandt, even though he's not that far along.

Maloney.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

still voting Heisey

Looking like a runaway for Ramirez so far.

So, is this cricket? I still like Hanigan here, but since he has no shot at this point I voted Cozart. (No objections to Ramirez, however.)

The point has been well-made, concerning Cozart, that he is one of the few guys in the organization with the skills to handle a key defensive position at the major-league level and still swing a decent bat. Well, that applies to Hanigan right now.

Turn Off Ads?