Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

The Giants are great at adding parts to a puzzle they don't need.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

The A's that's my bet for the mystery team

The White Sox are my first guess (Ozzie and Kenny both love him) and the Giants are my 2nd guess.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The A's that's my bet for the mystery team
    There's lots of rumblings that Beane is tired of waiting for Bobby Crosby to put it together and he'd like to pick up a veteran SS. Good pick.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Interesting question.

Contenders would be:

Red Sox (who seem to view Julio Lugo as a sunk cost)
    Blue Jays (now with A.J. Burnett's $13M back in pocket)
    White Sox (if they're shedding payroll, they'll surely be adding somebody)
    Cardinals (another team that should have some scratch to spend)

Sleeper:

Yankees (because they've got money to spend and Furcal might fuel a winter of speculation about whether Jeter will move to CF)

But my guess is it's the Giants. They were rumored to be hot for Furcal and Brian Sabean moves fast.
    You seriously consider St. Louis to be a contender? No way does their pitching staff deliver a repeat performance of last year. They're poised to lose Isringhausen, Izturis, LaRue, Looper, Lopez, Mulder, Springer and Villone in free agency. Yes, I'm sure they'll bring in multiple FA signings and maybe retain some of their old players, but until we know who...how can anyone consider them contenders? Bottom half of the division is more like it IMO. They played above their heads last year and still ended up 11 games out.

~edit~ Oh crap. I just realized you meant contender for landing him...not contender in general. Okay, forget all that I just typed. :O) Hell, I'm still half asleep.

If it's the Reds, it's a gamble for sure. But Furcal at short could mean Gonzalez at third which means a dramatically better left side infield defense.

Then you put EE in left or you trade him for another leftfielder, platoon Dickerson and with someone in center, beef up the catching, add a fifth starter, get a number of good new relievers, fix the bench, and you are a pretty good team.

It's that simple.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-18-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If it's the Reds, it's a gamble for sure. But Furcal at short could mean Gonzalez at third which means a dramatically better left side infield defense.

Then you put EE in left or you trade him for another leftfielder, platoon Dickerson and with someone in center, beef up the catching, add a fifth starter, get a number of good new relievers, fix the bench, and you are a pretty good team.

It's that simple.
    You lost me with "Gonzalez at third".

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

It's that simple.
    This actually is not a bad idea...but a lot would ride on the health of Furcal and I'm not sure at $13 million a year that's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You lost me with "Gonzalez at third".
    Same here. While I would expect to get average to above average defense at third from Gonzalez, he'd be one of the worst hitting third baseman in the league. A career .694 OPS at third base? Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Same here. While I would expect to get average to above average defense at third from Gonzalez, he'd be one of the worst hitting third baseman in the league. A career .694 OPS at third base? Pass.
    If Gonzo is healthy, there would be a dip in offense, but that would be a pretty great IF defensively if everyone was healthy.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 11-18-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    If Gonzo is healthy, there would be a dip if offense, but that would be a pretty great IF defensively if everyone was healthy.
    There would be a pretty big "dip" in offense. I agree the IF defense would be very good though.

His back was so bad he couldn't even play 90% of this past season and someone wants to give him 39 million 2 months removed from it? Where in the world has common sense gone. I wouldn't give that guy 3 yr 9 mill he's not likely to earn even it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Furcal is broken down from all the steroids/HGH that went into his body. I'm completely serious. He is the opposite of what the Reds should be going after IMO.

Maybe the Mets want Furcal to play 2B?
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Yunel Escobar... I'd be interested in!

Turn Off Ads?