Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

per mlb traderumours

"8:04pm: Furcal is "shocked and excited" about possible interest from the Braves, though Yunel Escobar would have to be traded first. Furcal already has a three-year, $39MM offer on the table from an unknown team. Kinzer says it might be a few weeks before his client signs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

Didn't Walt say he was only looking at SS who had 0-3 years of service time? I don't think Furcal qualifies. I hope he does sign with the Reds, though.

Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

Interesting question.

Contenders would be:

Red Sox (who seem to view Julio Lugo as a sunk cost)
    Blue Jays (now with A.J. Burnett's $13M back in pocket)
    White Sox (if they're shedding payroll, they'll surely be adding somebody)
    Cardinals (another team that should have some scratch to spend)

Sleeper:

Yankees (because they've got money to spend and Furcal might fuel a winter of speculation about whether Jeter will move to CF)

But my guess is it's the Giants. They were rumored to be hot for Furcal and Brian Sabean moves fast.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

What about the Tigers?

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    What about the Tigers?
    I should have included them, though there is a rumor that they need to shed a lot payroll.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I should have included them, though there is a rumor that they need to shed a lot payroll.
    They are going to have a hard time selling tickets when all of the Earth's automobiles are from Europe and Asia...

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Didn't Walt say he was only looking at SS who had 0-3 years of service time? I don't think Furcal qualifies. I hope he does sign with the Reds, though.
    I think walt said that about "trading" for a shortstop... there might be a distinction there... i think...

A shortstop with a history of back troubles? I hope the Reds aren't that mystery team.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I'm guessing its the Giants or the Orioles.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I hope it's not the Reds; it's way too much money, given Furcal's back problems.

Furcal is the type of player this team needs. They need a SS. They need a leadoff guy. They desperately need upside.

If he works out, this team is materially better. If not, they are still going to struggle. I'd rather see them spend money on a very good SS with a history of back troubles than middle aged players with a history of not being good at baseball.

Either go for it or don't. Walt needs to decide. There has been too much fence sitting over the past few years.

OK, would Furcal be a candidate to move to CF if he is picked up by the Reds or the Yankees?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

way too much $$$ for a SS who's over 30 with back problems

I can't see Walt offering big money to a veteran SS when he already has Gonzalez on contract. I can see him making a deal for a younger SS that he can send to AAA or be on hand in case Gonzo can't play. I can't imagine he'd want to tie up that much money in two veterans though.

If I could draw up a template for a prime target to most help the Reds, Furcal, on top of his game would probably be perfect. A steady speedy defender at shortstop who can hit a solid leadoff.

Gotta agree with others though - that kind of money for someone with his injury history is a very bad idea.

Turn Off Ads?