Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65

Thread: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,404

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    To improve the left side, I'd much prefer a deal for Beltre with Agon at SS if he can go.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    27,927

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Maybe the Mets want Furcal to play 2B?
    Interesting notion. That might explain why Furcal wouldn't have taken a 3-year, $39M deal. Moneywise I doubt he'll do better than that. Then again, seeing that Scott Boras is his agent, that "offer" might have come from a hot dog vendor in San Diego.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  4. #33
    Member 15fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Nooooo thanks.

    Based on the way he was handled while he was here in Atlanta, I definitely had the sense that Furcal's mind wasn't always in the game. Braves seemed awfully willing to let him go. Guy had/has talent, but I'd rather have Eric Milton back for another 3 year / $27 million deal and $12 million left over to fill another need.

  5. #34
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,597

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    Yunel Escobar... I'd be interested in!
    Not me unless the asking price is minimal. The guy's defense is not that great, and he tends to get injured.

    Sep 29, 2008: Missed the last 5 games of the regular season (hamstring).
    Sep 23, 2008: Hamstring, day-to-day.
    Sep 21, 2008: Missed 1 game (hamstring).
    Sep 20, 2008: Hamstring, day-to-day.
    Jul 22, 2008: Missed 7 games (left shoulder injury).
    Jul 11, 2008: Left shoulder injury, day-to-day.
    Jul 2, 2008: Missed 5 games (left shoulder injury).
    Jun 25, 2008: Left shoulder injury, day-to-day.
    Jun 23, 2008: Missed 1 game (hip flexor).
    Jun 22, 2008: Hip flexor, day-to-day.
    May 23, 2008: Missed 2 games (right knee injury).
    May 21, 2008: Right knee injury, day-to-day.
    Apr 29, 2008: Missed 1 game (finger injury).
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  6. #35
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Alex Gonzalez needs to take up yoga or something. Dude is way too young to be breaking down. He needs to take better care of his body. What a bust that guy has been.

  7. #36
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,024

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Not me unless the asking price is minimal. The guy's defense is not that great, and he tends to get injured.

    Sep 29, 2008: Missed the last 5 games of the regular season (hamstring).
    Sep 23, 2008: Hamstring, day-to-day.
    Sep 21, 2008: Missed 1 game (hamstring).
    Sep 20, 2008: Hamstring, day-to-day.
    Jul 22, 2008: Missed 7 games (left shoulder injury).
    Jul 11, 2008: Left shoulder injury, day-to-day.
    Jul 2, 2008: Missed 5 games (left shoulder injury).
    Jun 25, 2008: Left shoulder injury, day-to-day.
    Jun 23, 2008: Missed 1 game (hip flexor).
    Jun 22, 2008: Hip flexor, day-to-day.
    May 23, 2008: Missed 2 games (right knee injury).
    May 21, 2008: Right knee injury, day-to-day.
    Apr 29, 2008: Missed 1 game (finger injury).
    How many of these injuries are nagging injuries as opposed to serious injuries? He had a knee injury that healed up then a hip flexor. Next a left shoulder injury followed by a hammy. Non of which sent him to the DL and non of which that cost him to miss more than 7 games. I really wouldn't worry too much about these injuries until you see on particular injury over an over again.

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    1,355

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How many of these injuries are nagging injuries as opposed to serious injuries? He had a knee injury that healed up then a hip flexor. Next a left shoulder injury followed by a hammy. Non of which sent him to the DL and non of which that cost him to miss more than 7 games. I really wouldn't worry too much about these injuries until you see on particular injury over an over again.
    I think the point is he seems awfully willing to miss a game for what most would consider minor injuries. Those kinds of guys are trouble.

  9. #38
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,024

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I think the point is he seems awfully willing to miss a game for what most would consider minor injuries. Those kinds of guys are trouble.
    Really? Because we know how much he was injured? He played just under 140 games in his first full major league season. I see nothing wrong with him taking a day off or missing a few games because of a nagging injury.

  10. #39
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    41,612

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I think the point is he seems awfully willing to miss a game for what most would consider minor injuries. Those kinds of guys are trouble.
    Hinge injuries, baseball is a game of bending, gripping, torquing and accelerating.. all really hard acts when your knees, shoulders and hips aren't working.

    Unless you have his medical charts everything aside from what we know is conjecture, including calling them minor.

  11. #40
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,705

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Nooooo thanks.

    Based on the way he was handled while he was here in Atlanta, I definitely had the sense that Furcal's mind wasn't always in the game. Braves seemed awfully willing to let him go. Guy had/has talent, but I'd rather have Eric Milton back for another 3 year / $27 million deal and $12 million left over to fill another need.
    What? You'd rather have the human batting tee back for three more years than invest in a SS who fills major needs (defense, leadoff)? That's crazy talk. With Milton, you'd just be flushing the $27 mill down the drain. At least with Furcal you'd have a chance to get return on the investment! Not to mention you are basing your entire argument on an anecdotal idea that Furcal's "mind wasn't always in the game." Shouldn't the Reds be basing their decisions on more tangible measures of performance?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  12. #41
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,597

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How many of these injuries are nagging injuries as opposed to serious injuries? He had a knee injury that healed up then a hip flexor. Next a left shoulder injury followed by a hammy. Non of which sent him to the DL and non of which that cost him to miss more than 7 games. I really wouldn't worry too much about these injuries until you see on particular injury over an over again.
    Sorry, but I don't see your logic here. The guy missed more than twenty games due to injuries and obviously played in many games in which he was nursing injuries. Neither nagging injuries nor disabled list injuries are positives. Besides, he reminds me of Felipe Lopez. If this guy was a quality shortstop, the Braves wouldn't be willing to move him.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  13. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,729

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    here is mention of a "Mystery" team again!!
    MLBtraderumors.com
    ""8:35pm: According to Jeff Passan, Furcal has been offered many three-year deals, but he wants a four-year contract. Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer confirmed that the Orioles, Braves, Giants, Cubs, Dodgers and A's are interested, along with one unnamed "mystery" team."

  14. #43
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Furcal report from Dominican "untrue"
    From Chronicle Staff Writer Susan Slusser

    Los Angeles papers have picked up on a report in El Caribe that the A's have offered free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal a four-year, $48 million deal that could be as much as $50 million with incentives.
    A well-placed A's source tells me this is "untrue."

    How untrue? Hard to say. That could just mean a million or two either way, or it could mean it's way off the mark.

    There's no doubt the A's are making a strong push for Furcal. Several weeks ago, there was a report that one team had a three-year, $39 million offer on the table for him. It's highly conceivable that the A's, with no outstanding shortstop prospects anywhere near the upper levels of the system and Bobby Crosby a free agent after this season, would offer Furcal four years, but $48 million does sound a little high.

    I'd imagine when the dust settles that Oakland if does win out on the bidding for Furcal (and this is sheerly my own speculation) that $48 million might be possible with incentives, but the guaranteed salary would probably be more in the $44 million range.

  15. #44
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    here is mention of a "Mystery" team again!!
    MLBtraderumors.com
    ""8:35pm: According to Jeff Passan, Furcal has been offered many three-year deals, but he wants a four-year contract. Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer confirmed that the Orioles, Braves, Giants, Cubs, Dodgers and A's are interested, along with one unnamed "mystery" team."
    I really do think that Omar is trying to convince him to play 2B for the Mets. Just a guess, really, but it makes sense. The Mets have the money and a gaping hole at the postion. The top of the Mets lineup would be Reyes, Furcal, Beltran, Wright, Delgado ... not bad.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  16. #45
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: A mystery team has offered Furcal 3 yrs 39 million..hmmmm could it be the Reds??

    Reds have inquired about Furcal but talks don't plan to get far..

    MLBTR.com
    "I could watch video of Griffey swinging all day. It's like baseball porn." - C. Trent Rosecrans


    2008 Reds Record When I Attend: 9W - 5L

    2009 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 2L

    2010 Reds Record When I Attend: 1W - 0L

    2011 Reds Record When I Attend: 0W - 1L


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25