Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedroia wins MVP

Pedroia wins MVP

This according to ESPN radio just now.
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pedroia wins MVP

Per ESPN:

NEW YORK -- Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia has won the American League Most Valuable Player award.

Pedroia got 16 of the 28 first-place votes and easily beat out Minnesota Twins slugger Justin Morneau.

Pedroia became the first AL second baseman to win the award since Nellie Fox in 1959.

Five players drew first-place votes. Record-setting closer Francisco Rodriguez got one of them and finished sixth overall.
    Voting results are here.
    Last edited by BRM; 11-18-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Wow. Pedroia? Really? I mean, he was on my fantasy baseball money league team, so I know he had a great year, but man it was a weak year for hitters in the AL if Pedroia won MVP.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

The way Josh Hamilton was going, it's a bit of a surprise he didn't win. And even after tailing off, his numbers were better than Pedroia's. And if you think only players on playoff teams should be considered for MVP, I give you Albert Pujols.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Wow. Pedroia? Really? I mean, he was on my fantasy baseball money league team, so I know he had a great year, but man it was a weak year for hitters in the AL if Pedroia won MVP.
    Well, he did lead the league in doubles and was 2nd in BA in the AL.

Here you go, from the MLB.com article I linked above.

With 213 hits, Pedroia tied Ichiro Suzuki for the Major League lead. His 54 doubles led the Majors. He led the AL in runs (118) and multihit games (61).

Backed by a .326 average, Pedroia lost the batting title by just four points to Minnesota catcher Joe Mauer. Pedroia finished fourth in total bases (322) and seventh in extra-base hits (73).
    An elite tablesetter, Pedroia also chipped in with power (17 homers, 83 RBIs) and speed (20 stolen bases).

From a team standpoint, Pedroia and the Red Sox fell just one win shy of getting back to the World Series after a heartbreaking 3-1 loss to the Rays in Game 7 of the AL Championship Series.

Considering the obstacles the Red Sox faced (David Ortiz missed seven weeks with a left wrist injury, Mike Lowell and J.D. Drew missed considerable time, Jason Varitek had a sharp decline at the plate), it's doubtful they could have gotten to the postseason without the performances of Pedroia and Youkilis.

Before Pedroia's final red-hot surge of late August and early September,
    Youkilis was the Boston player getting a lot of mention in MVP discussions.

And the first baseman, who also played third base when Lowell was injured, had a big year in his own right. Youkilis established career highs in batting average (.312), home runs (29), RBIs (115) and slugging percentage (.569).

Kevin Youkilis should have won the MVP.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

A-Rod had a better year.

Why does Morneau always get more respect than Mauer in MVP voting?

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    A-Rod had a better year.

Why does Morneau always get more respect than Mauer in MVP voting?
    counting stats.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Chase Utley's had my MVP vote three years running.

he's apparently in the wrong league

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Chase Utley's had my MVP vote three years running.

he's apparently in the wrong league
    same here.

Utley's clearly much too tall.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

How did Pedroia finish in front of Youkilis, A-Rod, Hamilton & Quentin?

Quentin is the one who got hosed in the most IMHO. He nearly single handedly pushed the White Sox to a playoff birth.

Pedroia plays 2B. He was third in the AL in VORP with 60 runs; ARod had 62 runs and Grady Sizemore 60 runs. In this case, where the margin is so small, I'm not going to complain when the writers give the award to a guy who went to the playoffs...

http://baseballprospectus.com/statis...php?cid=204031

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Pedroia was the 3rd best player in the AL last season. He was the only guy who made the playoffs of the top 3, so I don't really have an issue with it.

Turn Off Ads?