Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Dempster is staying in Chicago

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Looks like Dempster is staying in Chicago

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looks like Dempster is staying in Chicago

ESPN says 4 years at 52 million. The Cubs are overpaying for him big time. I love it.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    ESPN says 4 years at 52 million. The Cubs are overpaying for him big time. I love it.
    What's to love? I'd love it if it were someone like the Brewers (a small market team) who were overpaying for someone. Money doesn't matter to the Cubs. I assume you 'love it' because you are hoping that means they won't go out and overpay for someone else because of the money tied up to Dempster. However, I don't think this is going to prevent them from making any other big money moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    What's to love? I'd love it if it were someone like the Brewers (a small market team) who were overpaying for someone. Money doesn't matter to the Cubs. I assume you 'love it' because you are hoping that means they won't go out and overpay for someone else because of the money tied up to Dempster. However, I don't think this is going to prevent them from making any other big money moves.
    I love it because he's not very good and the Cubs are going to be stuck with him for 4 years late in his career. 52 million for Dempster, c'mon.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    However, I don't think this is going to prevent them from making any other big money moves.
    It won't. They are still expected to be in the mix for Peavy. They've also been rumored to be looking into Randy Johnson.

If Jake Peavy is traded to the Cubs then the Padres will get ripped off IMO. The Cubs farm system is awful. Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus recently rated the Cubs top 11 prospects. Number three was Jose Ceda, who was traded last week to the Marlins for Kevin Gregg. Their second best prospect is Jeff Samardzija, he of the career 4.26 ERA, 0.92 HR/9, 3.60 BB/9, and 5.24 K/9 in the minors. Josh Vitters is a good prospect but the system is bare beyond Vitters. If I'm the Padres I'm looking elsewhere.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Ryan Dempster, four years, $52 million, really???

This one shocks me. I know he had one good year in 2008, and pitched well enough to be 17-6, and had a 2.96 ERA in 206 innings.

However, last year was the first year Dempster has thrown in excess of 100 innings since 2003, when he was with the Reds, before his TJ surgery. He had three years where he threw 200+ innings in 2000-02 for Florida, when he was age 23 through 25.

Now Dempster will turn 32 in May of 2008, and he is going into thie first year after a dramatic increase in innings pitched. That is red flag territory for pitching injuries....I would bet money that he is injured well before he gets through this four year contract, very possibly in 2009 or 2010. I do love to see our division opponents overpay for their players, and I am convinced they are doing so with Dempster.
    ďThis one was a perfect one. I donít know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. Ö I didnít know he could speak like that.Ē Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Dempsters ERA+s for the last five years are 112, 141, 96, 99 & 151 (only year as a starter). He is a good pitcher. Good pitchers who hit the open market cash in big time.

Small market teams must develop their own talent but especially their own pitching. The Reds can occasionally make a spalsh on the free agent market with a hitter but going to the open market for pitching is a bad idea.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Man, if you thought Chicago burned in that great fire, that's nothing compared to the huge pile o' cash the Cubs burned with this contract...

If the Cubs overpaid for Dempster, then are we overpaying for Arroyo?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    No. He's essentially being paid fair market value based on his production.

Dempster's contract on the other hand is more risky. Yes, his 2008 was exceptional, but is he a safe bet to repeat that and for 4 more years given past production?? The Cubs can afford to find out, but that could be an ugly contract.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 11-18-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I believe Arroyo is making $33 million over 4 years whereas Dempster will make $52 million over four years. Arroyo has a career ERA+ of 108 compared to Dempster's ERA+ of 95. Furthermore, Dempster is more of an injury risk than Arroyo (knock on wood).
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Wow... talk about overpaying for a guy who had one lucky year.

I will walk to Alaska if Dempster ever duplicates or surpasses his 2008 season. And my good friend Sarah Palin will hold me to that. I feel like getting a little mavericky.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    No. He's essentially being paid fair market value based on his production.

Dempster's contract on the other hand is more risky. Yes, his 2008 was exceptional, but is he a safe bet to repeat that and for 4 more years given past production?? The Cubs can afford to find out, but that could be an ugly contract.
    But they're not really paying him like he has to repeat last season.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

But they're not really paying him like he has to repeat last season.
    In terms of durability, he is expected to repeat.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Turn Off Ads?